Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duh

So I was looking at the doom poster...

It's probably a contrast thing with the poster. (Brown gloves would blend with the doom guys skin and background too much.)

One thing I've always wondered, is the weapon he's firing meant to be the chaingun? Is it assault rifle sized or a two hander?

It looks like some big SMG type thing, my knowledge on guns is limited though....and I guess with stylised pretend weapons even more so....

Dunno if it were a cut weapon though, lots of things that appear in box arts were never gonna be in the games. Just draw a fancy image to catch the eye. Although it could have been a cut weapon, either way I guess.

It could have been a reference to the "machine pistol" from the Doom Bible, back when they were tossing up different ideas for a main weapon before settling for a rifle. Which was then just changed to a normal pistol like Wolf 3D after Tom Hall left.

Besides, wasn't it drawn before any work had started on the game or its ingame art assets anyhow? The green blood, the generic demons that look nothing like the ones in the game (imp at best, but it didn't have horns), and a comparatively tiny Cyberdemon.

They're not black, they're dark blue!

Sodaholic said:

Besides, wasn't it drawn before any work had started on the game or its ingame art assets anyhow? The green blood, the generic demons that look nothing like the ones in the game (imp at best, but it didn't have horns), and a comparatively tiny Cyberdemon.

I dunno, they look a lot like Barons to me.

Magnusblitz said:

They're not black, they're dark blue!

Those are the colors used in the art for highlighting, probably for contrast, but they look like they're depicted as being black.

Interestingly, the guy in the background appears to have brown gloves.

Magnusblitz said:

I dunno, they look a lot like Barons to me.

Hm, I didn't think of that. They're still quite different looking, but at least the horns and green blood make sense.

You're right! That means Brown Gloves is actually the Doom Player trying to save his fellow marine and Black Gloves (about to be wasted by the Barons) is actually the Dead Player Corpse we find on E1M1.

"They got Johnny!!! NO!!!!!!!! I'll kill you all, you scum-sucking demons!!!! FOR JOHNNY!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ragnor said:

There is a surprising obsession with black gloves on these forums.

I want a mod that gives Doomguy floral oven mitts.

plums said:

With brass knuckles somehow wedged on them? Brilliant.

Why is this in WADs & Mods anyhow?

plums said:

Perhaps he could be throwing pies at the demons?

Sodaholic said:

Those are the colors used in the art for highlighting, probably for contrast, but they look like they're depicted as being black.

I was thinking about that (being quite familar with the old comic book coloring used in the 80s that often used dark blue in place of black, but... I mean, his boots are a dark grey/black as well, so... I dunno. I like to think of them as dark blue. :)

Then again, in your favor is that the Doomguy picture after E4 has black gloves.

FWIW, Doom in Quake 3 has brown gloves. So maybe EffinghamHuffnagel is onto something.

XCOPY said:

Please don't derail the thread.

Well, you got your answer in the first post, so there's really nothing to derail at this point.