Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linkrulezall

Why does Startan2 suck so much?

I really don't understand the hate for default editor textures. I always select the texture for any new linedefs that I'm adding, so it never occurs to me that the default texture is overused and ugly.

I also saw similar hate for some MARBLE texture because it was the DeePSea (or Doom Builder) default. Seriously, are people so undecided that they hardly change the texture, and later complain that it's overused?

STARTAN2 is useful when you want beige panels with controls exposed on them.

I don't really use DB so I'm fine with STARTAN2. Now, MARBLE1 (the default in DeePsea) on the other hand... ;)

Seriously though, I like the various STAR* textures and I like the sci-fi/tech levels they are often found in.

Edit: I take that back... I said all textures have a use.. However after searching for examples, I've concluded SPARTAN2 is simply ugly and hard to work with :P

Hi HXCpr0n, you made my day with your post :))) Probably unintentionally :)

I like using STAR textures for stairs, just align it so only the bottom is visible:

I also enjoy using various STAR textures in tech maps, there so many variations of them you can make it look varied and stuff.

I personally think that DB2's chose of default textures is pretty bad to begin with. I preferred DB1's ASHWALL2 and F_SKY1 instead.

On the other hand, the default ceiling texture is worth complaining about. It has a very specific usage due to how oddly-aligned it is.

Da Werecat said:

STARG3 and STARTAN3 are ugly. Other STAR textures are fine.

STARG3 is useful for transitions from green to grey. STARTAN3 is less useful because it doesn't match the browns very well (and only STARBR, not STARTAN) but it looks nice and grungy so I like it.

White startan - the plain one, without that junk on it - is my favourite texture. And the green startan follows as the second. Regarding the pink one, infamous for standing as Doom Builder's default, its presence actually often derails a map for me. But not when the map is otherwise impressively designed, then I like it. I don't mind this startan variant in early KDiTD levels either.

Enjay said:

(STAR textures)

Weirdly, that is exactly how I use them as well (I use it to transition a green room to a silver and a silver to a brown and so fourth).

Enjay said:

That ceiling texture is the main reason Doom 2 techbases look so dull. Throw in revenants and see me go for F10 Y.

Can't say I like STARG (i.e. the green one) much either. DTWiD episode 1 felt damp and slimy due to its large usage of cramped Phobos base, darkness, green acid and STARG2.

Enjay said:

STARG3 is useful for transitions from green to grey. STARTAN3 is less useful because it doesn't match the browns very well (and only STARBR, not STARTAN) but it looks nice and grungy so I like it.

Yeah. Unfortunately, they're a little flawed.

Usually because in DB2 it symbolizes auto-texturing that you didn't want. It's illuso-pit, not STARTAN2-pit!

STARTAN does not make a good default texture.
The larger ones are color transitions and should not have been used on large walls where more than one transition shows.
The shorter single color ones needed to be larger so they would not be so repetitious.

Mostly it is bad usage. They are highly demanding for adjustment and alignment.

The controls should not be showing on every other panel.
The controls should only show in one or two places in the room.
This is caused by selecting the wrong STARTAN for the bulk of the room.
This makes it really hard to use on long runs.
If you don't want the all brown or all gray look, you end up with alternating colors.