Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Your favorite console based FPS?

+1 for Timesplitters.

Bloody shame there was no PC port to the series (with TS Rewind being the only chance it ever has of becoming a PC game, lets just prey they don't fuck it up/give up), maybe one day somebody can port the original games to PC (They did it with "Obscure" for some reason).

Whilst we are here, allow me to slap all the FPS Halo games (excluding Halo 4 and Anniversary because 343 can suck all the dicks) onto my list as well.

EDIT:

William Blazkowicz said:

Wolfenstein 2009.

This too.

Sodaholic said:

(and SNES, though I don't consider it "proper" Doom)

Well, it got the music selection better than the "proper" Doom, that's got to count for something. Also, I don't consider your face "proper" Doom.

Antroid said:

Well, it got the music selection better than the "proper" Doom

The subject was the visuals, but if we're gonna talk music... SNES Doom sounded like it was played along with a drunken metronome (I don't know why no one else seems to hear the awful off-beat nature in it), and it deliberately replaced the distorted guitars with orchestral strings in many songs. It's not just how the guitar sample sounds, if that were the case, songs like Hiding the Secrets wouldn't use a completely different, more guitar sounding sample.

Antroid said:

Also, I don't consider your face "proper" Doom.

Huh? My face isn't a piece of software attempting to emulate an evergreen first person shooter from 1993, it's organic tissue. Since you brought it up...

Picture's slightly old. My face is ever so slightly more gaunt these days.

Sodaholic said:

The subject was the visuals, but if we're gonna talk music...

I don't have the best ear for things like this in music but to me the SNES tracks sound leagues better than midis ever do on PC, they just seem to have sliiightly more oomph to them. Plus it doesn't hurt that it shuffled some songs around to a better result IMO, like putting Hiding the secrets to e2m1, containment area's to refinery, original e1m6's to pandemonium, and walts of the demons isn't spoiled before the only map it's appropriate for, the limbo (whereas in the original it plays in the spawning pits which is a horrible desicion in my opinion).

Sodaholic said:

Huh? My face isn't a piece of software attempting to emulate an evergreen first person shooter from 1993, it's organic tissue. Since you brought it up...
~snip~
Picture's slightly old. My face is ever so slightly more gaunt these days.

My face is definitely more proper Doom than yours. This was also made frikkin ages ago, probably around five or six years or so.

Sodaholic said:

The subject was the visuals, but if we're gonna talk music...

The visuals in SNES Doom are much more Doom than in Jaguar Doom and its descendants.

Gameplay, on the other hand...

GoldenEye definitely. The fact that we have a source engine clone on PC (well, multiplayer only atm) makes me happy.

Besides that...Halo Reach was one of my favorites, and Metroid Prime as well.

TimeSplitters 2 was the shit back in the day. Way more fun then most modern shooters. Other than that, I say XIII was one of my faves, the cell-shaded graphics were pretty good to look at, but I HATED that ending though.

It seems everyone really likes Metroid Prime. I mean I did love it but Metroid Prime 2 Echos is my overall favorite.

I'm a huge Goldeneye and Perfect Dark fan. There are intricacies in those games' gameplay that I doubt will ever again be replicated (Goldeneye: Source is a good game, but its definitely not Goldeneye).

TimeSplitters really interests me, but unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to really get into it unless there's an HD release with online multiplayer. That's the only way I'll be able to get a big ol' multiplayer session going. :(

Also, the Halo series. Pls, don't shoot me.

... with that said, all of the above games really deserve PC re-releases/reverse-engineered ports with proper online play and modding support. Even the Halo series.

Halo 1's port was good for its time, but by today's standards, its netcode is awful and that actually affects the gameplay majorly. Also its modding system is much more finicky than it should be. Halo 2's is nigh-universally considered awful, so... there's that, too.

ultama121 said:

TimeSplitters really interests me, but unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to really get into it unless there's an HD release with online multiplayer. That's the only way I'll be able to get a big ol' multiplayer session going. :(

The single player offers more content than multiplayer, you can even play against semi intelligent multiplayer bots on your own as well as (Well only in 2 and Future Perfect) you can even creat your own story maps (number 2 allows for 10 hostile NPCs and Future Perfect allows for an impressive 50).

Also, 4 player splitscreen (Also, the XBox ports look much better than the PS2 ports for some reason).

Not counting Doom games, I don't think I've played a console-based FPS since the 90's. But I remember having a lot of fun with Alien Trilogy, Goldeneye and Turok back in the day. I know two of those technically aren't console exclusives, but whatever.

Also, while maybe it's the inferior version, I really enjoyed the PSX version of Dark Forces over the PC, maybe because it was the only version I managed to complete. Granted, a PSOne classic on my PSP is probably the reason for such, so I don't know if that counts.

Necromancer-AMV said:

Black.

SO MUCH BETTER than CoD. Why did this game never get a sequel?

scalliano said:

Because the gameplay was above point and shoot and more structured than most things, the majority like "safe" (or in actual fact the same tried and tested shit) games over great games, which is probably why a lot of great game series's went under.

DoomUK said:

...I remember having a lot of fun with Alien Trilogy...

Heh, I just got to the second queen just now (The map before the second queen was a complete dick move, "Advanced aliens" that take about 20 shotgun blasts to take down is not a great gameplay idea).

Also, I forgot to mention Duke Nukem Total Meltdown. Despite the controls being absolutely shit, the game has many better things than the PC version IMO like the music and the new E4 (the original E4 has some great maps but the quantity of absolutely terrible maps outweighs the good, looking at you "Babe Land", "Shop n Bag" and "The Queen"!).

mrthejoshmon said:

Also, I forgot to mention Duke Nukem Total Meltdown... And the new E4

I really wish Plug 'N' Pray was brought to the PC. Despite having a real bitch of a first map (that's right, map 1 was harder than the rest of the episode), it had really unique traits that stood out from the rest of the game. A few were even based on other games and movies. Map 4 was entirely based on Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Gates Motel is still the best map IMO.

scalliano said:

i don't know much about the game itself, but any FPS that begins by giving me a shotgun to blow up the door in front of me just HAS to be good.

I've just remembered the series that got the most play time out of me. Although it defaulted to a third-person view, you could play in first person and would always go into it for scoping or using night-vision. I talk about the online sensation that was effectively CoD before CoD was... SOCOM: US Navy SEALs. The third wasn't as good as the previous two as the addition of vehicles threw the balance and made for maps closer to a Battlefield sort of scale, but with most people still squirrelling away in bushes and sniping.

Many fond memories (mostly from online) of those PS2 wonders - particularly good how they used a health bar, didn't have regenerating health and still played with a "realistic" balance. The SP campaigns were considerably more substantial than modern FPS games are, as there was always an element of choice in how to deal with each mission and objectives were often non-linear. From what I've gathered, the series still lives on (or did until recently), but never really recovered from SOCOM III losing online popularity.

vinnie245 said:

Can't forget Disruptor for the PSX as well, i will keep mentioning it until im blue in the face :P.
http://youtu.be/R3YJgeB8V7U

Ops i forgot to mention that game, hell Disruptor was and still is one of the most hard games i ever played and also i forgot to mention Po'ed,
man i laughed a lot while playing that game because of those butt guys.

I find most psx games I try bore me to tears, they seem to be praised mostly because nostalgia and are quite generic unlike quite a few N64 games I tried which I find easier to get into and enjoy.

As for Halo, want to know why The Library sucked so bad? Because it wasn't finished according to plan, and they had to slap something together to meet the release deadline. This is what I was told by one of the environment artists. They built the level in chunks in 3DS Max, and their tools converted it to the BSP format used by their in-house engine. They originally designed a completely different layout, but their engine was so limited that most of what had been designed would lead to many BSP errors, crashing the game. They couldn't get it working in time, so they copy-pasted the few chunks that didn't crash the engine.

Six said:

I really wish Plug 'N' Pray was brought to the PC.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an unofficial conversion somewhere.

Sodaholic said:

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an unofficial conversion somewhere.

Thing is that those conversions never get finished, there must have been over 20 attempts that never got past the "Working on map 1" stage. If there is a finished version of Plug n Pray, all the hours I spent looking for it must have gone the wrong way.