Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRenegade

Deathmatch project

Hey guys, I was going to put together a Deathmatch wad with some active members of the community, mostly cause I want to make somewhat of a mega wad, I know I can't get like 32 maps, but if you have some cool Deathmatch levels you are willing to share that would be great... I've just put off this project so long...
If you would like to remake my old maps, here is all my wads from like 2013
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12dcmdbpfixe9f3/ALL%20WADS.zip

My new wads still are in progress, but my most recent Deathmatch wad has 18 maps
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9c9j9nfyk9carl/FOD.zip

So remakes are allowed, or your own works, I want 21 maps at least I have about 8 maps, I don't think many people will pay attention but I thought this would be fun

It's by no means impossible to have a community-based 32 level deathmatch wad! Deathmatch Revival was just released a few days ago - It took almost exactly one year, and has 35 maps - In other words, don't give up ;)

If I make a DM map some time soon I'll happily submit it.

Guest Unregistered account

I rushed to show off a map after I had drawn only about 14 linedefs of it to DeathMatch Revival - sure enough, it was rejected. X)

What about capture the flag maps? What are the restrictions? Also if I send you some can I still use them in mine?

I'd like to make something for this since I missed out on Deathmatch Revival.

mind telling us what sourceport this is gonna be for?

Well I was hoping I wasn't going to limit it to one sourse port, I was thinking just regular maps, but if someone wants to use another just notify me.
I use GZDoom builder so it uses GZDoom for the main port... But anyways, I kinda want some strong maps to use, something really playable, in the past I had talked to a lot of deatmatch players, and they usually said, sectors that are 64 length are unacceptable, I still use that rule, but if a map is to small I will try to make it bigger I guess

By the way, I just want Deathmatch right now, it would be cool to have a separate wad for capture the flag, but I don't know how that would work...

Will floor over floor and custom textures be acceptable then? The floor over floors will somewhat limit variety of ports.

Like 3d floors? Those are acceptable, I don't like inclines though, I can't open them in GZDoom builder, and that's how I transfer the maps to wads
And custom textures are going to be hard if they replace old textures...

I will not replace old textures what build of gzdoom builder do you have? Mine shows the slopes just fine.

DoomRenegade said:

Hey guys, I was going to put together a Deathmatch wad with some active members of the community, mostly cause I want to make somewhat of a mega wad, I know I can't get like 32 maps, but if you have some cool Deathmatch levels you are willing to share that would be great...

So remakes are allowed, or your own works, I want 21 maps at least I have about 8 maps, I don't think many people will pay attention but I thought this would be fun

I'm glad to see that you are hosting a DM project DoomRenegade. I just have a few suggestions that I probably have already mentioned:

I recommend that you establish a list of requirements/rules of each map submission (You can use the rules Joe Pallai made back when he managed DMR):

1) The map must be fun to play; well balanced; and engaging over the long term.
2) Port specific features used need to add to the Deathmatch experience in a significant gameplay related manner.
3) Port specific features used need to be 100% cross compatible between these two source ports: Zandronum and Odamex.
4) Gameplay over graphics (unless it is ugly enough that I am forced to make a call on it).

Also, it would be wise to recruit a good handful of experienced DM mappers/DM players to participate in your project. The would provide advice, suggestions, and constructive criticism on map designs/gameplay.

Also, you should be open to having people edit maps that have poor/mediocre design/layouts/item placement. I would be happy to be of assistance editing some of the maps as well as give constructive criticism. Having a team of editors and playtester would be perfect.

Marcaek is an experienced mapper and he seems to have a good insight on what works in DM maps and what doesn't. I remember him saying that quality is much more important than quantity in wads. He also emphasized that gameplay mechanics is VERY important too.

That said, don't be afraid to be selective over the quality of each map suggestions. And playtest the Hell outta each map as much as humanly possible!

Lastly, every pwad runs the risk of having bugs. Sometimes the bugs can be difficult to fix. When I managed Deathmatch Revival, there were a shit load of bugs that caused source ports (like Zdaemon, Odamex & PrBoom) to crash instantly. It was mostly a result of corrupt lumps (textures/patches....etc...) in the pwad. They can be tricky and VERY annoying. I recommend recruiting an experienced wad editor to fix potential bugs you may encounter in the near future.

Doomkid92 said:

It's by no means impossible to have a community-based 32 level deathmatch wad! Deathmatch Revival was just released a few days ago - It took almost exactly one year, and has 35 maps - In other words, don't give up ;)

You tell 'em Doomkid ;)

Joe667 said:

I rushed to show off a map after I had drawn only about 14 linedefs of it to DeathMatch Revival - sure enough, it was rejected. X)

Ah I remember that map! It was a Skulltag themed map. I feel bad that I had to reject your submission. It just didn't seem like a suitable DM map. For one thing, it was WAY too small, there were some missing textures, and the fact that it was Skulltag themed just didn't seem like it would balance out well with the others in the pwad.

i'm not an experienced player for DM (actually never played DM at all) but I have created a DM map before (for 32in24-13, a Boom-compatible project) so I kinda have some experience with this kind of stuff.

hopefully I can make something for this in at least Boom-compatible port since most people play on Odamex/Zdaemon/Zandronum/whatever port people always play DM on.

Hurricyclone said:

i'm not an experienced player for DM (actually never played DM at all) but I have created a DM map before (for 32in24-13, a Boom-compatible project) so I kinda have some experience with this kind of stuff.

hopefully I can make something for this in at least Boom-compatible port since most people play on Odamex/Zdaemon/Zandronum/whatever port people always play DM on.

I think I remember that you tried to submit something to Deathmatch Revival WAY back in 2013, but I don't recall what the map was.

I do recommend that you at least attempt to play DM just for the sake of getting an insight on how to strategically place items and DM Player spawns. And to my perception, nobody really plays on Odamex. I don't understand why, but every time I check there servers, there are usually no more than 2 people on. Zdaemon typically has a good amount of people on and Zandronum is by far the most popular of all multiplayer source ports.

no I did not submit anything there. I believe all I did was mention an extra music lump in the DMR wad.

Doomguy, I have a small beta of maps I made, so far I think you will like it, but if I make a wad I won't put all my maps together

DoomRenegade said:

Doomguy, I have a small beta of maps I made, so far I think you will like it, but if I make a wad I won't put all my maps together

The best thing to do is sort out the good maps from the bad ones. Focus on what could or needs to be improved. Have others look into it and take note of their suggestions. Aside from my edited version of your MAP13 from your Formula of Destruction was, I think the other two are almost ready to be put in a wad. One of them still needs some texture/item placement editing.

Because of a barrageload of connection problems, I've never acutally been able to play with human players, but I recommend battling against bots via "Offline Skirmish".

Right now I am thinking a small team of people who make good maps, and are available for future wads, because it would be awesome to have different styles in all the wads, and maybe people could help brainstorm future names, and even help with like the title screens

So we can just submit our stuff right now? Like, dump the links here and wait for other people and you to test it, right?

I'm going to risk looking like an idiot (again) and do it anyway.

Map:
Map 01, but I just used that slot to make and test the level. Any slot is fine.

Iwad:
Doom II

Map name:
Party like It's 1996!

Source port:
Boom compatible

Editor used:
Doom Builder 2

FINISHED, but awaiting reviews

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?jihu0t0cfup01au

This map was originally inspired by a map from 1996, hence the name - Map 22 of LBDWANGO.WAD or Long Beach Dwango.
Because of this, the map was originally made with a night/space sky in mind.

As you can probably guess from the title, this map is made in the style of DM wads from the 90's, with Lots of weapons, some powerful weapons easy to reach, DM starts on rocket launchers and so on. However, I did try to make a fun DeathMatch level.

My last notes are that to emulate the 90's style further, I made the lighting increments of 5/10, rather than 8. I know that unless someone decides to open the map in an editor for whatever reason, it won't really make a difference, but oh well. Also, the on the East section with an SSG pillar surrounded by backpack pillars, on the NorthWest backpack pillar, I used a (Self-referencing) invisible lowered ceiling to prevent Source port users from grabbing the BFG by jumping.

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1996! THE ALL-NEW WAD WITH AN ALL-NEW STYLE!

Ok, let me know how well it plays for you!

I think you should probably post which map slots are free, which ones are taken and by who, editing each time a slot is taken or a map is withdrawn. Check out FDTWID's map list for an idea.

Ok. 'Tis all. I'm done lecturing.

*NIHIL DM*

Map01 - Rain - DoomRenegade
Map02 - - Doomrenegade
Map03 - - Doomguy
Map04 - Hellhouse - Doomrenegade
Map05 - -Doomrenegade
Map06 -
Map07 - Party like it's 1996! - Joe
Map08 - big - Doomrenegade
Map09 - -Doomrenegade

It is going to change, and people who contribute hopefully will join the team, I haven't even named it but I have a symbol... Yeah haha
But yeah the team needs to be small and not include the whole community, cause I'd like to release bigger wads than like 18 maps

GZDoom will be the port, I'll take a look at your wad if you post it, and add it
You going to help make future maps? If not that's ok, hopefully Joe667 wants to, cause I really liked his Deathmatch wad, his flaws were not even that big... Same for you, like I really want somewhat experienced mappers, I am no newbie at this stuff, I started in 2012 and had a lot of help evolving into a better mapper... Haha I just stole a bunch of styles, but whatever I hope people think I am good
But whatever, I'll check it out, as soon as you can, post the link, I will contact you Saturday when I can play it, or Friday

I'm working on a map now at the moment its only doom 2 textures I'll make some or use some if its ok (not replacing of course) I also want to use 3d floors to make a rocket jumping deathmatch map if this is ok.

alright, I've started working on something for this. i assume slopes are allowed as GZDoom is the port, so far I've got slopes in my map, and only stock textures.

My GZDoom builder supports 3D floors, but I would need to update it so I can save it into the wad, so yeah... Use stairs please, I am lazy haha

Slopes, slopes slopes! Everyone loves slopes. :D

I'd recommend looking at the SpaceDm series for ideas of how to implement slopes. They require SkullTag. For example, S5DM02 of Space DM 5 has the only Rocket launcher of the map sitting on an awesome-looking mini rocket. Which uses slopes!!

Speaking of which, spare a thought for all those SkullTag players! (In Skulltag, 3D floors disappear in DeathMatch for some reason.) I know most people (myself included) use Zandronum, but both SpaceDM wads have fantastic tricks to allow faux 3D effects when playing DeathMatch on SkullTag.

Also: Yesss!! I'm on Map 07! :O
Because XWE doesn't want to work with my computer, and I'm experiencing... problems... with Slade3, I haven't been able to replace music or anything. Although, mulling it over, Map07 has a pretty great soundtrack for DM maps especially.

I'm really glad more mappers are contributing to this project, and I think it's gonna go far!