Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terminus

Large challenging maps

Hey guys. Been looking around in the past few weeks for above average sized maps. Not necessarily as mammoth as Jade Earth, but something more along the lines of IC2004, The Hatch and some of Alien Vendetta's epsiode 2 maps.
Statistically speaking maps that take at least 20-30 minutes to finish and have over 250 monsters.
Been really getting into this type of maps lately so I was wondering if you guys could share any similar favorites of yours.

Thanks in advance!

If you've never played it, Hell Revealed (from 1997) is one to check out. It's probably over mentioned, but being one of the oldest Megawads around it's bound to be. Many of its later maps are probably the sort of thing you're after. Other ones you might enjoy are Requiem, Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom.

Thanks a lot for the links.
Regarding megawads: I'm pretty sure I've played every single one that exists on the archives, and some that aren't even in it. Hell Revealed is great indeed :)

BloodyAcid - I already played your map before and I loved it! Great job on that one.

About INDUSTRIAL, this is a map I didn't play before. I'll be sure to check it out later on.
Anything else that comes to mind is definitely welcome.

I already know Sunder, it's a bit too tough for me, haha. The maps in there are pretty amazing, though. Definitely a wad to remember for slaughter-map lovers.
I just played Industrial for about 15 minutes, the puzzles were way too annoying and hard to find so I decided to drop it. Not my cup of tea when it comes to gameplay. :/

I'm looking for slightly more tame maps, not necessarily gigantic ones. If you know any I'd like to check them out.
Thanks a lot everyone, again.

If random maps are in the mix, I suggest checking out samiam.org/slump/]ObHack and Oblige (and the RC on forums if adventurous.) Both make challenging maps if using "Infested/Swarms/Hordes" for ObHack or "Hordes" for Oblige.

The Europa series - Great maps by a great author. Should give Europa 1 a rerun. Europa 3 is one of my favorite maps.

Fuel Devourer - Played it when it was released, it was very good although some parts felt a bit barren, but still a very beautiful map that kept me on my toes.

Deep in Hell - Oh boy. Now this is the kind of map that I need to put away about 3 free hours to finish. I played it for a couple of minutes when I was in a hurry, and it looks promising, so I will play through that one sometime soon.

Vela Pax - Mechadon's maps are amazing, however I haven't finished map05 because I got lost so many times and gave up after about an hour of playing. Still a great mappack though.

Oblige - Self-generated maps get a bit boring after a while, there's a limit to what Oblige can offer :P Thanks for the suggestion though.

Great maps everyone! Also may I suggest a few maps myself of this style to you:
Chapel of Chaos by Jodwin & Mr. Chris
Forsaken Overlook by Matt Tropiano
Warpzone by Phobus
The Great Urban Battle by Paul Corfiatis

I'd be happy to see more of this style of maps.

If you liked Warpzone, try the Hunting Pack from my Pre-13 Grab Bag - its got two mid-large levels, each with 300+ enemies and they're both some of the harder maps I've made. For a bit less of a challenge, but a my second-longest map to date, go for Coils of the Twisted Tale, which follows a similar progression through difficulty to your MAYhem 2012 map, although it uses ZDoom to make each section of the map have it's own title and music.

Also, if you're a fan of slogs, check out the Community Chest series. CC3 in particular has a lot of lengthy maps with several hundred monsters apiece.

Khorus said:

Ni'mrod: Ixnay on the Hombre if you don't mind partial conversions.

Does this support GZDoom? I remember my computer not functioning very well with Legacy back then. Or was it the controls? Can't remember, heh. Will give this one a shot though.

A bunch of new maps here that I haven't tried yet, such as Aeternum and Zombie Heart. Will try these out soon, thank you!

Phobus, I'm a big fan of your maps and pretty much played all of them, haha. :P

The CChest series are great and I will give them all a replay soon. Map29 of CChest 1 however is quite the bitch...

This thread has been super helpful so far, thanks a lot everyone!

Ven said:

Does this support GZDoom? I remember my computer not functioning very well with Legacy back then. Or was it the controls? Can't remember, heh. Will give this one a shot though.

Yes, it should be 98% functional. From memory, it's only some cosmetic things like coronas that you'll miss out on.