Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"lazy copy paste 1"
http://speedy.sh/Wn4Y6/lcp1.wad

Too lazy to fully playtest, zip, upload to idgames, make more than a handful of sectors before copy pasting, etc. The way I see it, you have 3 choices: you can masturbate, you can play this map, or you can play this map while masturbating.

lcp2 (didn't make any changes, final version same as original upload, still haven't beat it):
http://speedy.sh/sRq2R/lcp2-final-withFailDemo.zip

Heck, the map seems playable. After a couple failed attempts, I managed to get into the right crowd-control technique, unlocked all doors and got onto the final ledge. Well, that was it, chaingunners weren't merciful to me. But nice non-symmetrical copypasted madmap.

Darn I decided to play the map but in consideration of the constant rape i recieved, the other 2 options would have been probably better.

Anyways nice one, but tough as hell....

Didn't want to masturbate, so played the map. Here's a FDA. Please don't jerk off to it.

I feel like I should be bored of those maps by now, but somehow it's still entertaining. Perhaps there's something to be said for not being "bothered" with exploration, leaving you free to focus on fighting; coupled with just enough variation in layout to provide different angles of attack and cover options, but not so much you get stuck or blocked by architecture. Could be why people love survival/horde modes so much.

If you kept sectors from all your maps of that kind, perhaps adjust them at a similar height level, or similar height levels and colorcode flats so you can tell which sector side is at which height, make them all into prefabs and reuse them / copypaste in a big map you could end up with a lot of variety.

That was a fun fda to watch. I'll just post a fail attempt at uvmax:
http://speedy.sh/eGq6a/lcp1-fail-ggg.lmp
Even this map has too much of a route imo (for uvmax after you already know the map and know where to go), because the switches confine you to a race track at the beginning, which is annoying to redo each time you die, rather than having freedom to go wherever you want like your fda style play. And I think having new enemies gradually warp in is better than using so many viles to resurrect them (to restock the enemies) because too many viles can be annoying.

Fun stuff and I gotta agree with Phml. This is a poster-boy for simplicity and doesn't really differ much from your other maps in terms of style, but it's still always enjoyable to play these. They're very accessible for being slaughtermaps (or slaughter-ish maps at least) and FDA-friendly as well since they are very much completable on your first attempt. If you die, you know it's not because some bullshit trap or anything. It's only because you suck as a player.

I did an FDA too but I didn't have Phml's willpower to resist masturbating and eventually I cracked, so it's just a failed one. The furthest I got was to the SSG, where I just decided to die immediately. But to compensate my failures as a human being, I added a slow-ass casual UV-max in the zipfile.

Nice ones, you got fairly close pretty early in one of the fda attempts.

I might as well post this here since it doesn't deserve a topic of its own and I won't likely expand on it. Its a simple zdoom map with just a simple small tower with a scripted rotating opening (walk forward a bit to see the tower). Currently the opening messes up if you stand in it when it moves but that could be fixed probably.
http://speedy.sh/E7Gn9/zdChangeHalfPaste.wad

2hard4me, but fun to watch demos on. A lot of maps like this have a problem where they're really intense at the start but once you carve out a safe space things become considerably easier. There's a little bit of that here, I think it's unavoidable to an extend. But then it's still really easy for the player to get obliterated by a cyberdemon from across the map, or get stuck between some archviles, or wander into a swarm of chaingunners buzzing like angry wasps.

Some FDAs for lcp1.wad : here
Many deaths, but I eventually prevailed. Should be boring to watch.

Typical gggmork map which focuses on pure fighting. I like these.
If you manage to survive the start and somehow lure the horde here and there and slowly pick on the Viles, you should be able to reach the exit. It's really easy to get cornered though.

Cool map. I see Phml made some kind of tribute for it, I'll check it out as well soon. :)

Nice wilou, you trolled them to death with the single barrel.

'A lot of maps like this have a problem where they're really intense at the start but once you carve out a safe space things become considerably easier'

I tried a brief experiment that was a big cave of 64x64 squares, ceiling was varying heights with lowest toward walls and highest in middle. Over time the ceiling lowered by 32 about once a minute, eventually to the floor, thus 'shrinking' the amount of roaming room over time from a thick hall to a thin hall. But monsters got stuck on the ceilings and it generally didn't work for gameplay.

Here's a 9:02 uvmax:
http://speedy.sh/qYKv2/lcp1-902-uvmax-iddtAtEnd-cl9-ggg.lmp

Next map will be time based, not switch based (like slaughterfest 2012 map 31), because the route is what sucks. The beginning route in this (to get the ssg) takes lots of tries before success; its an annoying hurdle before the 'real' fighting begins. It would be much better without that beginning part since it is repetitive/practically the same on each replay. The 'real' fighting part is much more dynamic, with freedom to react in real time to complex situations, not confined to a ridgid race track like the route beginning.

Another map I was too lazy to fully playtest or beat yet (plus its kinda fun to release an unbeaten map rather than a 'solved' one), so changes might be needed later:
http://speedy.sh/52CU8/lcp2.wad
Time based, but it might play awkwardly like running around infighting mostly, not sure. Probably the first map is more fun.

I can make it about 2 minutes in but then I either run out of places to go or an Arch Vile blasts me from somewhere. The Barons guarding the radiation suits are a real pain!

This is the furthest I got so far:
http://speedy.sh/EWKC9/lcp2-FAIL-ggg.lmp

I added all the starting cybers/barons/mancs last moment in a 'sure whatever, let's try this' way, so still not sure if there's enough health etc.

Yeah the radsuits are a pain, I guess it provides an additional gameplay element to think about.. you can usually get the first radsuit due to one of them infighting to death, or watching which infighted a little bit then finish that one off, additional ones can be gotten with the plasma gun later. BFGs eventually pop up (haven't gotten that far yet) and there's lots of cyber infighting, so I assume the map is possible. There's 12 time based monster warping closets, then the exit opens, the last closet has 2 cybers and 3 viles I think, the rest only have a vile every other closet.

I don't think I've run around near the radsuits enough to induce infighting there in that case because I virtually never get a radsuit before I die. They'd help a lot by giving more space to run around in. I noticed health packs spawning (I assume that's time based?) so I figured powerful enough weaponry would appear to deal with things eventually. The combination of the Arch Viles' line of sight and lost souls everywhere usually gets me. I think I've only actually died to a Cyberdemon rocket once in about 15 goes as they usually get overwhelmed fairly quickly.

I guess if some luck is on your side then the Megasphere at the start is probably enough to get you by until health starts spawning. I'm just always running out of space as the map fills up and with no weapons to really help clear the way at the start. (Not a complaint, I know that's probably the intention here!) I'm gonna try some different running around later to see how I get on.

Two quick FDAs : here

Highly challenging and intense map, very enjoyable. I didn't get too far in, I don't know... Recieved a Plasma Gun and a RL at some point but eventually died.

degree23 said:

The Barons guarding the radiation suits are a real pain!

+1, this setting is devious but clever.

Gonna watch ggg's demo. :)

I think wilou got a bit further than 3min probably in part 2 of his fda, ha ha those are more entertaining/action packed to watch than mine, he's like a gun ninja and I just slowly circled around. Yeah, the pickups are timed too.. 12 pickups for 12 monster closets. Every other pickup is a medikit (but one of the 6 pickup areas is a blue armor instead), then there's a ssg, plasma, rl, (plasma/rl ammo only?), then the bfg in that order I think (every other, the rest are medikits). I would try '20 years of doom' but I've still been too lazy to get doom1 iwad.

After lots of tries I only got to the bfg twice on lcp2, extremely hard and frustrating. Here's the best attempt which only had 1 monster warping closet left (wad is the 'final version' now which is the same as the original upload, no changes and still haven't beat it):
http://speedy.sh/sRq2R/lcp2-final-withFailDemo.zip

Best strategy I could find was to circle around fast and immediately reverse direction if something is too dangerous or blocks you. And use big guns as much as possible when you get them even the plasma because you don't have the luxury of waiting for the bfg to save ammo for that instead probably.