Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

internet play?

I've never done net play b4. tried to do one on one moDooming back in the day, but never worked good. what do I need to play net games and where dop I go to join in.

zdaemon looks very cool, I just wish it would work. I go to join a server and get an error in the .exe then an error in kernel32.dll that wont close. the sucker pops back up right after you click close. now I'm gonna go and reboot this shit for the 5th time today. why is this happening

Make sure you have the needed iwad (doom2.wad usually) in with zdaemon. Make sure you have the needed wad being played, dwango5 for example, in your zdaemon folder, or set up the zdaemon launcher to see your wads if in a separate folder.
Zdaemon frequently crashes when you try to join a game. Just try to join again, it usually works.
Instead of starting through the zdaemon launcher, you can check that, when you double click zdaemon.exe, it at least starts up and gets to the point of saying "Zdaemon initialized" and "type connect <ip address> or use the launcher". If it does not, you have a problem on your machine somehow.

It used to crash on my computer quite a lot, but I've just noticed that it hasn't crashed on connection for months (at least I don't remember it doing so). Yeah, make sure you set up the paths to the wads right and make sure you have the right wads. Also, make sure you don't do what I did first time and select NEW GAME from the menu, lol. If the problem persists (who do I sound like now?) then try csDoom like I said before, cos its almost exactly the same as ZDaemon but it doesn't crash as much (or at least it didn't seem to for me when ZDaemon crashed a lot).

yeah I was able to pop into a game today but everything HOM. I quit and get the same kernel error.

I hated when I'd get a MoDoom game setup with someone, and then when we try and connect...they don't have 1.9, and trying to explain pkunzip to a newbie was the devil. "Where did it unzip it?"
"Where did I put PKunzip?" God I hated that. And EVERY time I had to explain the whole patch thing, they were always super sucky and not worth playing...after I spent an hour or so on the phone trying to help them get it patched. This was way before winzip...

I'm not sure but I think doom II for windows 95 (yeah I have that ghey shite) is above ver. 1.666. It was the only version I could find after I lost my original (long story, haven't even gotten a new copy of doom yet). I don't know any more.

E-Gad! Did you buy the Activision Bundle? I never really used DooM95, so I can't really tell you much about it. I think that is the problem though. What is the size of your DooM2.wad? I can check mine when I get home and post the size of it. I'm pretty damn sure that DooM95 is very different then the good'ol DOS DooM.

Thats it, you've reminded me, the reason mine crashed at first is cos i had v.1.666 but i had the one that doesn't have any upgrade patches for it, so I downloaded the wad again from somewhere, can't remember where.

The patch I linked to is the patch that works for all 1.666's even the one's that id's patch don't work on
The thing to check is, doom2.wad has to be 14,604,584 bytes, if it isn't the only games you can join are ones on doom2 map07, that works cross version

yep thats the size I got for my doom2 iwad. ah well, back to the drawing board. guess net play isn't in my future.

fodders said:

Sounds like 1.666 run this Patch

well the patch gave me the old .exe as well as the old dm and dwago programs, but didn't change the wad. I tried to play again today, using zdaemon. I got kicked from the server, and got the kernel error when I quit zdaemon.

VileSlay said:

well the patch gave me the old .exe as well as the old dm and dwago programs, but didn't change the wad. I tried to play again today, using zdaemon. I got kicked from the server, and got the kernel error when I quit zdaemon.

Did you run both patches, I find it works if people run "updgrade" patch -you may get error about date, ignore
then run phase_1.bat this can take a while and even look as if its stuck , be patient
then run phase_2.bat
file size of doom2.wad at end should be 14,604,584 bytes
The kernel error I think is a direct draw error, try updating to directX 8.1

fodders said:

Did you run both patches, I find it works if people run "updgrade" patch -you may get error about date, ignore
then run phase_1.bat this can take a while and even look as if its stuck , be patient
then run phase_2.bat
file size of doom2.wad at end should be 14,604,584 bytes

I had run all three actually. neither one would replace my iwad. the wad size is 14,604,584, but the date is from '96. does the date make a difference?

The date of the wad file was what the problem was for me. I found a website that told me to check the date of the file and if it was a certain date then download this patch, but if it was the date which mine was, then there is no patch for it, sorry.

That probably doesn't help since you already said that the date doesn't matter and that that patch was for all copies of version 1.666, but I thought I'd tell you anyway, just in case.

The date thing came from a pre release version of doom2 1.666 lots of pirate copies appeared, id decided to not support this dated version, and it since became named by id as "The German version", the patch I have works ok with this version

I gave another shot at zdaemon. When I was about to join a game, zdoom loads, screen goes to 16 colors, waiting, waiting, waiting... computer freezes. Is zdaemon_099b in the most recent Zdaemon ? I have no clue why it freezes like that and it freezes before connecting so I don't think it's a connection problem.

I see, fod. I thought all along that I probably had a pirate copy of the game because it was on a CD called Game Star with 179 (I think) games on it. My dad bought it for me, for £10 in Saudi Arabia. I got Doom, Heretic, Hexen demo and loads of other games off it too. Ultimate Doom was supposed to be on there, but the file was corrupted (the CD got scratched on the plane back), so I had to upgrade Doom to Ult Doom with the ID patches, which seems to have worked fine. Oh well, if my original copy of Doom 2 was a pirate copy, then it wasn't my fault, because I didn't know.

Okay, I'm totally new to playing Doom online so forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake. Anyway, I want to play Doom online.. I have Doom 95, and I can't work out how to do it :-[ I would need some advice assuming I have no idea what to do.. Because I really don't.

Another problem I'm having is getting my mouse to work with Doom 95.. I've configured it all properly, I've enabled mouse support.. But it's having none of it.

Any ideas?

How come :( Okay, well I thought better of it, right.. And found Ultimate Doom and Doom II separately (with working mouse support). But Final Doom seems to only come in an Doom 95 sort of package.. Is there a regular Final Doom package that lets you use the mouse?

Download ZDoom - that works with all the Doom IWADs (as far as I know) and it has great mouse support (except I can't get my scroll wheels to work in it) plus you can set up speech macros (e.g. I press S to say "shit" every time I die - I don't advise that because it gets addictive and people get pissed off with you), etc. ZDoom is much better than Doom95. It's also got loads of extra features like freelook and jumping if you like things that came about in later games like Heretic and Quake.

You can get it from http://zdoom.notgod.com

And fod, how do you use URL tags on this forum (they're not the same as link tags in HTML)? Also, any idea how to make my scroll wheel work in ZDoom? I can set it up on the options menu and I know how to bind commands to it, but they don't work in a game. I have two scroll wheels incase that makes any difference.

Oh, Paul, if you want to play online, look at the "Newbie here has ?'s and needs help" thread on this forum.