Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

List of CoD-clones

I saw that there was a thread like this but it was forgotten in the wastelands, and to me, really wasn't as informative as this one. I thought i should make a new one because this is what people do not know about modern FPS games. Many people, espeially casual gamers, see only graphics/story and do not understand that it doesn't matter what the graphics are if your gameplay is from CoD, it is CoD-clone then.

CoD-clone is anything that has some of these mechanics. REGENERATING HEALTH and/or IRONSIGHTS and the feel of movement that has been taken from CoD directly. Other features are WEAPON LIMIT, SPRINT, super linear levels, qte's and "RETURN TO COMBAT ZONE".

List of CoD-clones starts here, and notice the dates. Notice how everything starts from 2007 (when Modern Warfare was released) not a single CoD-clone is pre-2007, because that's when FPS still had variety in it.

FPS prior to 2007. Half-Life, FEAR (2005), Far Cry (2004), DOOM 3 (2005), Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Delta Force, SWAT. VARIETY. All games completely different from eachother.

2007. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (health regen, aimdownsights, weaponlimit, sprint..) All the sudden after 2007 all games (including Wolfenstein and FEAR) get all these mechanics THAT COD MADE POPULAR. 2007 and CoD was that one game to have all the mechanics in one game and thus it is responsible for this fad, since no game was affected by it before 2007. Even Battlefield 2 (2005) still was Battlefield. Since CoD made FEAR to add ironsights, Wolfenstein to take healthregen and hell, even almost totally ruined DOOM 4 (since DOOM was becoming Call of DOOM) they are CoD-clones. Call of Duty 2 was already using these mechanics in 2005 and it didn't affect FEAR, DOOM 3, Far Cry, Condemned etc.. It wasn't until 2007 that every game suddenly changed to CoD-clone, just to get a quick cash grab due to MW doing so well because of dumbing down. Since that game happened to have those before mentioned gameplay mechanics, other games turned into CoD-clones in hopes of reaching same sales numbers.

-------------------
007: Goldeneye remake (2010/2011)
007: Legends (2012)
007: Quantum of Solace (2008)
Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013)
Alien Rage (2013)
Battlefield 3 (2011)
Battlefield 4 (2013)
Battlefield Hardline (2015)
Bioshock: Infinite (2013)
Bulletstorm (2011)
Crysis (is close to not being CoD-clone, 2007)
Crysis 2 (2011)
Crysis 3 (2013)
Destiny (2014)
Duke Nukem: Forever (2011)
F3AR/FEAR 3 (2011)
Frontlines: Fuel of War (2008)
Halo 4 (2012)
Homefront (2011)
Killzone 2 (2009)
Killzone 3 (2011)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (2013)
Medal of Honor (2010)
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (2012)
Metro: 2033 (2010)
Metro: Last Light (2013)
Rage (2011)
Resistance 2 (2008)
Singularity (2010)
Titanfall (2014)
Wolfenstein (2009)
-----------------------------
=30 CoD-clones in 7 years.

Games that are really close on being CoD-clones but somehow manage to stay different enough.
-------------------
Far Cry 2
Far Cry 3
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
-------------------
If i have forgotten some game, feel free to add them to the list.

30 CoD-clones in only 7 years is absolutely RIDICIOLOUS. And only 6 Old School FPS in 7 years. Thanks to all the Indies who still have delivered quality FPS when everyone else seemed to be against you. Thanks for staying true.

Hard Reset (2011)
Painkiller HD (????)
Rise of the Triad (2013)
Serious Sam 3 (2011)
Shadow Warrior (2013)
Wrack (estimated completion in 2014)

Personally, I think you're painting with such broad strokes you're not even getting the paint on the canvas. Christ, how many of those games have you even played? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be patronizing, but while I do understand the gripes with modern FPS games, it just feels like you're going overboard here - MODERN FEATUERS = BAD!!!

I mean, for example, let's take the Battlefield games. Haven't played Battlefield 4, but I'm familiar enough with the other games from the series. Aside from being semi-realistic military shooters, they have nothing to do whatsoever with the feel of a CoD game. And the core gameplay mechanics haven't changed too greatly from the original Battlefield 1942, which no one in their right mind would compare to CoD. Yeah, they've borrowed a couple of features here and there, but there is no mistaking a Battlefield game for a CoD game.

You're right, that was my thread, and it wasn't very informative. I didn't really know of many games off hand and wasn't really sure how to accurately research it without buying a bunch of games on my own. I was hoping the community would help me flesh it out in a Wikipedia sorta way.

glad you took an interest in it because I'm pretty curious of the survey results too. :)

geekmarine said:

Yeah, they've borrowed a couple of features here and there, but there is no mistaking a Battlefield game for a CoD game.

not sure about that. A few months ago I was seeing battlefield 4 commercials on tv. When I saw it again, I said to my wife "this that really loud annoying commercial I was talking about," and I was seriously convinced until it said cod ghosts at the end that it was alternate bf4 commercial. The visuals, background sounds and noise and presentation were virtually exactly the same.

I mean it was just an ad, but every comprehensible detail was pretty much the same. I mean, what's stopping them from continuing the ww2 theme? There's really dispute about the element of bandwagoning there

I'm sorry if some of you got the impression that "just because it's Modern, it' BAD". NOT TRUE.

We are now talking about FPS in here, not games in general. FPS used to be fun fastpaced challenging happy experience. Online Arena Shooters used to be something super fun due to you not moving like a snail, you not having to deal with dumb weaponlimit which doesn't make any sense in a game that is set on year 2974. Why would you want to aimdownsights in Scifi game that is not about Realism, why is it not okay anymore to have games that are actually fun? Why must realism always come and limit all the fun?

"weaponlimit is realistic and limits fun since you can only carry limited weapon arsenal, aimdownsights is realistic and limits fun since you move as fast as a snail and without ads you cannot hit sh*t, sprint is realistic and limits fun because you move as fast as a human IRL, regenerating health is not realistic nor cool since you die from 2-4 shots so it's not so varied and skillful gameplay as it is with healthpacks."

SP games used to be about fun and thinking (health/ammunition management), online used to be about rocketjumping, strafejumping and pulling that perfect railshot/headshot. Now online is about camping, shooting people in the backs and shooting someone on toe and they will oneshot-die because of healhtregen and weird random-system.

geekmarine said:

Personally, I think you're painting with such broad strokes you're not even getting the paint on the canvas. Christ, how many of those games have you even played?

You just beleive me that i have played over half of them. Mostly only console releases i haven't played but a quick gameplay video search will show that they are nothing different from the other one. All of these games rely around hiding behind cover due to health regen. Now you might wonder "but that makes every hp regen game a CoD-clone" Nope. Halo 2 is not since it has also emphassis on movement and flanking (you can jump about 2 meters high so you are able to get to some weird places, especially if you crouch jump) and Halo 2 does not have sprint or aimdownsights forexample. Halo 2 is the closest Quake II on consoles probably.

I actually play Halo 2 online on PC every now and then since Quake Live has very outdated graphics. But Reborn, Reflex and that other rumomerd game would be fix to the Arena Shooter thing (which this topic is really not about).

edit: And i actually never claimed original BF games to be CoD-clones. IE. Battlefield 1942, no. I clearly listed BF 3 and 4 because regen was never present in original BF games. Regen is such a big feature that will affect to the fundamental play style since regen requires you to hide (unless there is a medic. btw medic in a regen game sounds completely dumb). You know it yourself if you're in a DOOM forum that you cannot go DOOM/Rambo in a healthregen game, because you will die in 2-4 shots. You will die due to healthregen and due to everything being always hitscan, because that is the way CoD did it. DOOM gameplay and CoD gameplay my friend, are completely different, and all of these 30 games have CoD-gameplay, hence why they are CoD-clones.

There's a lot of them, but you're being pretty liberal with what's considered a CoD-clone.

>Metro, Rage, Killzone, Bulletstorm, Singularity
>COD Clones

>Far Cry 3
>not

What? It has a gun!? STOP RIPPING OFF CoD YOU FUCKING WANKERS!

Also, it has a floor... CoD has floors... FUCKING RIP OFFS MAN!

Now seriously, I would have you know CoD "Borrows" more things off of those games than they do off of CoD. An example was when Homefront came out, it had controllable assault drones and recon drones and MW3 all of a sudden included recon and assault drones despite no prior mention (Fun fact, the recon drone never appears outside MP to my knowledge).

EDIT: Did you also just call Rainbow 6 Vegas a close to CoD clone? That game where strategy and patience is needed that has been preforming this style of gameplay since the PS1 era?

There are so many things wrong that i cant even begin to sum them up.
i even doubt you even played any of these games once. Most arent even close to being COD clones.

- Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013)
Shooting aliens in a movie like setting trying to copy
the movies up to the gun sounds. the only reason it flopped was
because of the dated graphics.

- Battlefield 3 (2011)
A near exact modernisation of the first battlefield. Gigantic
open deathmatch levels with airplanes and all sorts of vehicles.

- Battlefield 4 (2013)
same as BF3.

- Bioshock: Infinite (2013)
An action-fps-rpg hybrid with a semi open world.
play it, you will jaw drop because of how wrong you are.

- Bulletstorm (2011)
A game made to be a trash fest of one liners and explicit humor.
Very extreme action driven gameplay. This is almost a cross-breed
between duke nukem, shadow warior and a mental patient on steroids.
An action arcade shooter made to try to bring the fun back into
FPS games.

- Crysis (is close to not being CoD-clone, 2007)
Once graphically so advanced most computers could not handle it.
it is a semi open world game with a player in a overpowered nano suit.
it is much like FARCRY but with added science fiction elements.

- Crysis 2 (2011)
repeats what the first one did, but with more updated viuals and
a broadened story line.

- Crysis 3 (2013)
look at the previous ones of this I.P. and add insane graphics.

- Duke Nukem: Forever (2011)
People do not even know why they hate this. it is almost a one on one
copy of duke nukem 3D with all the humor and weird extras in there.
If you play the game without even thinking about forum kids, you think
you are playng a GFX enhanced D3D with a new setting.

- F3AR/FEAR 3 (2011)
A horror shooter, and F3AR one, is concidered so scary some cant
play it. Fear 3 is just FEAR 1 with more action and less horror.
The gameplay is fast but fun, and encompasses the story about the
supernatural in its style. Also fun to play online because of its
fast action arcade feeling.

- Halo 4 (2012)
Halo 1 with amped graphics on new distant settings and a new story.

- Killzone 2 (2009)
If this would be a clone of anything then it would be enemy teritory but with a science fiction story line in a corrupt political system.
the gameplay can not even begin to compare to COD, as even the feeling of movement is different and almost only to be found in this
game.

- Killzone 3 (2011)
a sequal with the same as nr. 2

- Killzone: Shadow Fall (2013)
A modernised Killzone, with enhanced movement / aiming.

- Metro: 2033 (2010)
- Metro: Last Light (2013)
A horror shooter in a dark setting (for as far i played).
having to be careful to not die as you try to rambo through it
is all but COD. The gameplay requires reflexes and some amount
of keeping tack of your life.

- Rage (2011)
So ID software its own rage would be a COD clone...
hmm... an fps-rpg style shooter... aha...

- Titanfall (2014)
A still to be released game (unless it just arived) about a warzone
in which you pilot mechs, you can wallrun, jetpack, etc...
what is COD about that...

- Wolfenstein (2009)
And demons sleep in my bed while i watch tv, and they liked it.

*excuse the edits, i keep finding typo's.

FireFish said:

Wut?

FireFish said:

- Halo 4 (2012)
Halo 1 with amped graphics on new distant settings and a new story.

WHAT?

- Duke Nukem: Forever (2011)
People do not even know why they hate this. it is almost a one on one
copy of duke nukem 3D with all the humor and weird extras in there.
If you play the game without even thinking about forum kids, you think
you are playng a GFX enhanced D3D with a new setting.

W-H-A-T?!

i am trying to be correct. I do not follow mass behaviour on these things. People are individuals so i respect either way unless its just insanely wrong.

joshmon :
*About that dated gfx thing, thats absolutely not what i think of it. it is almost an exact copy of the claims in magazines. the company behind it almost had a lawsuit on its back cause the 'gfx' where not as shown in trailers... sad gaming world these days

FireFish said:

- Titanfall (2014)
A still to be released game (unless it just arived) about a warzone
in which you pilot mechs, you can wallrun, jetpack, etc...
what is COD about that...

Already released, but, indeed, not eactly CoD at all. Besides, it's made by Respawn; they made Modern Warfare, so it's not surprising if Titanfall has elements of the Call of Duty franchise.

However, Destiny (on the above list) has not even been released yet.

I rarely play modern games because I don't have consoles and I don't have a good PC, but, based on what I know of the games in the list, it's way too much of a stretch to call many of them CoD clones.

Granted, I don't agree with much of FireFish's list either. DNF is very different from Duke Nukem 3D, and Aliens: Colonial Marines looks horribly buggy (also supposed to have terrible AI).

FireFish said:

joshmon :
*About that dated gfx thing, thats absolutely not what i think of it. it is almost an exact copy of the claims in magazines. the company behind it almost had a lawsuit on its back cause the 'gfx' where not as shown in trailers... sad gaming world these days

If you take five minutes to take look at all the titles I pointed out (Or better yet: play them) you will know exactly where I was coming from.

I can give examples if you want.

WOW! I honestly didn't expect this negative responce :O

"You know it yourself if you're in a DOOM forum that you cannot go DOOM/Rambo in a healthregen game, because you will die in 2-4 shots. You will die due to healthregen and due to everything being always hitscan, because that is the way CoD did it. DOOM gameplay and CoD gameplay my friend, are completely different, and all of these 30 games have CoD-gameplay, hence why they are CoD-clones."

Just try to play any of these games like DOOM. Go out there and try to dodge the bullets, try go on without using aimdownsights.. you won't make far since this same principle applies to all of these games.

mrthejoshmon said:

If you take five minutes to take look at all the titles I pointed out (Or better yet: play them) you will know exactly where I was coming from.
I can give examples if you want.

I think we achieved a severe mis-understanding. i am at your side here, i just corrected the list of the thread starter with facts. The gfx thing you focused on was an example of how the modern gamers responded to it, not my opinion at all.

FireFish said:

Food for thought.

P.S. Didn't play it.

quakke said:

"You know it yourself if you're in a DOOM forum that you cannot go DOOM/Rambo in a healthregen game, because you will die in 2-4 shots. You will die due to healthregen and due to everything being always hitscan, because that is the way CoD did it. DOOM gameplay and CoD gameplay my friend, are completely different, and all of these 30 games have CoD-gameplay, hence why they are CoD-clones."

Just try to play any of these games like DOOM. Go out there and try to dodge the bullets, try go on without using aimdownsights.. you won't make far since this same principle applies to all of these games.

Black-and-white thinking. Will pass with age, hopefully.

quakke said:

WOW! I honestly didn't expect this negative responce :O

So you are generalizing games that you cannot take 500 bullets and not die into CoD clones despite the obvious differences in style, gameplay and theme? That is honestly quite stupid.

FireFish said:

I think we achieved a severe mis-understanding. i am at your side here, i just corrected the list of the thread starter with facts. The gfx thing you focused on was an example of how the modern gamers responded to it, not my opinion at all.

I apologize, sorry.

Da Werecat said:

Food for thought.

P.S. Didn't play it.

Black-and-white thinking. Will pass with age, hopefully.

If i'm so wrong, then good sir..

"Just try to play any of these games like DOOM. Go out there and try to dodge the bullets, try go on without using aimdownsights.."

I'm going to ignore most of this thread because there's a lot of misinformation going around on both sides. (DNF is not an updated D3D. Just no.) However, I have a few games here that I have to take issue with. Keep in mind that I'm only using games I've played through, or at least played, so I may have missed some things.

quakke said:

Battlefield 3 (2011)
Battlefield 4 (2013)

As mentioned, these games have nothing in common with CoD save for possibly aesthetic and a shitty single player campaign. To be fair to the series, though, BF has never really been about single player, and the multiplayer is leagues different from CoD.

quakke said:

Bioshock: Infinite (2013)

I don't think you played enough of this game if you believe that it is a corridor shooter. Whilst it's nowhere near as good as the first game, it's still an FPS/RPG hybrid with a unique movement system and vertical, open level layouts. If anything, my main complaint is that the game is too much like Serious Sam or Hard Reset, being full of artificial arenas and enemy waves rather than exploration.

quakke said:

Crysis (is close to not being CoD-clone, 2007)
Crysis 2 (2011)

I haven't played 3, so I can't talk about that one, but you couldn't be further from the mark here. Crysis is practically open world, and the second one has very open level design, though it is more focused. Both of these are RPG-ish in nature, as well, and while they have regenerating health and iron sights, such features do not a CoD clone make.

quakke said:

Destiny (2014)[/B]
Halo 4 (2012)

Firstly, how can you judge Destiny? It's not out yet. It's also an MMO.

And of all things, Halo? The series that is full of vehicles, open levels, and has the player cast as a super soldier in power armor? Sure, Halo 4 isn't exactly good, but it's not CoD and I can't understand where you even get that from. IIRC, the games don't even have iron sights.

There's a number of other games on here that I have played and disagree with your opinion, but those are arguably CoD-clones. I've only included the games that are square pegs to a CoD shaped hole. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to be hostile here, but if you come into a discussion like this saying things like "it doesn't play like Doom so it's a CoD clone!", you end up looking like you don't know what you're talking about and the things you -are- right about will get ignored.

quakke said:

"Just try to play any of these games like DOOM. Go out there and try to dodge the bullets, try go on without using aimdownsights.."

Does this make it a CoD clone? No.

It means that you are either

A: Shit at them

B: Not aware that the game kind of requires you to evade the fucking gunfire and or have a god damn strategy to beat it (Because I can't imagine taking bullets to the face and walking it off is going to be a great game, effectively there is no game if that is the case).

C: Unaware that bullets kill things quite fast.

D: Cod is not the first game to use such health systems and guns that work like actual guns, so effectively CoD is a clone of some game I do not remember.

E: ignorant.

F: Possibly all of the above

(Also, Halo 4 doesn't require ADS to play, I should know because I am SR105 on it so I think I know it isn't a CoD clone buddy).

EXTRA OPTION: You possibly have never played these games before and you are some kind of troll (Which wouldn't be a shock seen as though your argument has more holes in it than a piece of swiss cheese in a drive by)

quakke said:

Again, black-and-white thinking.

"Looks like he's disagreeing with me, therefore the only thing he could mean is that the games I called CoD-clones are actually Doom-like!"

I am just going to explain my view on DNF which i call justified.
This is the last on DNF i will post here as i do not feel the need to entice a flame war in a thread which is about wrongly acused cod clones. I played both D3D and DNF.

Level design :
Room to room based arena fights with a semi open design, like some modern doom PWADS. In both D3D and DNF this principle aplies. There can not be less of a difference in this.

Callbacks to bosses which the duke slayed are present in DNF in even the first boss. its an exact callback to D3D.

Humor / character :
In D3D you played as a macho one liner spouting man, in DNF he is the same but with added superstar levels for his past actions.

Story :
The super macho needs to save the earth again in D3D its is almost without story because of ancient technological limits, in DNF they added some short story telling to let people realise the duke has rissen to stardom.

the funny extras :
from posters to babes on posters, because of added technology these
posters became actual 3D animated babes in duke his palace and a part of the story. the one liners are there, the arcade action is there, everything is there up to a humoristic ride in a RC car.

Playing DNF ;
it almost feels like a trip to the past. You feel the arcade action seeping in, you feel the duke is going to kick ass, you feel the D3D ways of playing. They just added some more story telling.

The problem :
Old gamers cant release the past and their first impression when D3D was still a limit breaking tech setting masterful creation of 3D technology. The most modern gamers usually didnt even touch D3D because it looks like ancient cave-man technology to them.

FPS prior to 2007. Half-Life, FEAR (2005), Far Cry (2004), DOOM 3 (2005), Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Delta Force, SWAT. VARIETY. All games completely different from eachother.

2007. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (health regen, aimdownsights, weaponlimit, sprint..) All the sudden after 2007 all games (including Wolfenstein and FEAR) get all these mechanics THAT COD MADE POPULAR. 2007 and CoD was that one game to have all the mechanics in one game and thus it is responsible for this fad, since no game was affected by it before 2007. Even Battlefield 2 (2005) still was Battlefield. Since CoD made FEAR to add ironsights, Wolfenstein to take healthregen and hell, even almost totally ruined DOOM 4 (since DOOM was becoming Call of DOOM) they are CoD-clones. Call of Duty 2 was already using these mechanics in 2005 and it didn't affect FEAR, DOOM 3, Far Cry, Condemned etc.. It wasn't until 2007 that every game suddenly changed to CoD-clone, just to get a quick cash grab due to MW doing so well because of dumbing down. Since that game happened to have those before mentioned gameplay mechanics, other games turned into CoD-clones in hopes of reaching same sales numbers.

quakke said:

2007. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (health regen, aimdownsights, weaponlimit, sprint..) All the sudden after 2007 all games (including Wolfenstein and FEAR) get all these mechanics THAT COD MADE POPULAR. 2007 and CoD was that one game to have all the mechanics in one game and thus it is responsible for this fad, since no game was affected by it before 2007. Even Battlefield 2 (2005) still was Battlefield. Since CoD made FEAR to add ironsights, Wolfenstein to take healthregen and hell, even almost totally ruined DOOM 4 (since DOOM was becoming Call of DOOM) they are CoD-clones. Call of Duty 2 was already using these mechanics in 2005 and it didn't affect FEAR, DOOM 3, Far Cry, Condemned etc.. It wasn't until 2007 that every game suddenly changed to CoD-clone, just to get a quick cash grab.

A ultra realistic military training simulator used by the world its armies to train soldiers. the boiler plate for the modern arma games. Youtube has videos of actual US soldiers training in this.
http://products.bisimulations.com/vbs3-future-virtual-battlespace

The truth is that reality is occuring. in real life people can 'sprint', 'in real life people 'aim down the sights', in real life people do not wear 20 guns on their back while holding 2 in each hand and 3 between their teeth. And in real life Bullets kill you before you hear the shot from a long distance, or they seem to hit instantly becaus of their speed. These are not 'COD' mechanics, these are real life mechanics and thus simulations.

The healt regen on the other hand is to speed up the gameplay even more so you do not need to healt-kit scavange your way through it.
What you are doing here is pushing an opinion and closing yourself to the reality. the only mechanic you could even focus on is the health gen, the rest is reality or based on reality. I hope this does not end in post-hell.

FireFish said:

A ultra realistic military training simulator used by the world its armies to train soldiers. the boiler plate for the modern arma games. Youtube has videos of actual US soldiers training in this.
http://products.bisimulations.com/vbs3-future-virtual-battlespace

The truth is that reality is occuring. in real life people can 'sprint', 'in real life people 'aim down the sights', in real life people do not wear 20 guns on their back while holding 2 in each hand and 3 between their teeth. And in real life Bullets kill you before you hear the shot from a long distance, or they seem to hit instantly becaus of their speed. These are not 'COD' mechanics, these are real life mechanics and thus simulations.

The healt regen on the other hand is to spee dup the gameplay even more so you do not need to healt-kit scavange your way through it.

Missed my point huh? Which game made these mechanics popular? CoD 4, since CoD 2 already used them in 2005 and no game was affected by it. It wasn't until MW's success (2007) that every FPS changed. Bioshock is like the last non-CoD-clone that was released in 2007/2008 and now look at Bioshock Inifinte. Game that is not about realism has aimdownsights and stuff, Biohshock (2007) certainly had no aimdownsights, weaponlimit shield regen stuff. It had medpacks and stuff, no sprint either.

Well i posted a down to earth super simulation and told you why these things are in modern games to give the reality effect. even in a science fiction fantasy game as bioschock you need a reality check or the player will not connect to a game with its story and gameplay. Slight modernisation to add to ancient mechanics is not a bad thing. compare a ford-t with a modern mercedes and marvel...

all you do is repeat the same opinion over and over hoping to win.
I wish you luck with that type of forum behaviour, and i truly hope you do not end in post hell with a topic which holds truly facinating and interesting content on how people envision or behave around modern games.

- firefish, out.

Oh let me count the ways you are still talking shit:

1: Halo had regenerating "health" before 2007 this yet you put it on the list... In fact a lot of other games had Regenerating health before 2007 and was used to try and speed the games pace up (instead of health pack hunts)

2: ADS was a thing before 2007, because a game has ADS doesn't mean it's a CoD clone (ADS is used for Precision targeting and many games would have this feature so you could actually hit things)

3: Many of the games mentioned have their own game mechanics, the fact that most of the games mentioned have games in the series before CoD with the same features as CoD before CoD was mainstream kind of suggests the obvious fact that is not a CoD clone.

4: You mentioned Battlefield, that series had "CoD" features before MW1 even existed.

5: You mentioned FEAR, that used a health pack system (Before F3AR at least, but F3AR was the bastard child in the series) and not regenerating health.

6: Of fucking course you can't run out into the middle of [b]A FUCKING WARZONE[/] and take out hundreds of targets! Guns are kind of made to kill and there will be about 200 of them pointing at you if you do that (And it should only really take 1 or 2 shots to kill a man), that point you keep bringing up is fucking retarded.

7: All you are doing is bringing up the same points that are kind of invalid as they were in circulation before MW1.

8: Another ADS thing is that it also acts as a realistic weapon zoom which allows you to actually hit shit... You know, like how guns actually function?...

I could type so much more but it would be fruitless.

This is becoming a little ridiculous. You could say that CoD was the first game to have all of the features that are ruining modern FPS games, like jumping, guns, and crosshairs. You would not be wrong, as other modern games share these with CoD, but you're going to have to do more to make a point. Why are scattered medkits so prevalent before health regen? Because games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom popularized them. Doesn't make them better or worse.

Yes, the new CoD games are bad. So are some of the games you mentioned. They aren't bad because they have iron sights or because they have regenerating health. They're bad because they are poorly designed, are boring, or just plain don't work.

FireFish said:

Well i posted a down to earth super simulation and told you why these things are in modern games to give the reality effect. even in a science fiction fantasy game as bioschock you need a reality check or the player will not connect to a game with its story and gameplay. Slight modernisation to add to ancient mechanics is not a bad thing. compare a ford-t with a modern mercedes and marvel...

all you do is repeat the same opinion over and over hoping to win.
I wish you luck with that type of forum behaviour, and i truly hope you do not end in post hell with a topic which holds truly facinating and interesting content on how people envision or behave around modern games.

- firefish, out.

I ain't trying to win anything, i simply do not understand why everyone is fine in whole FPS nowadays being defined as CoD? I know Arma is an Simulation, and like i listed, Simulations used to be out there (Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, SWAT, Operation Flashpoint, Delta Force) not anymore. It's been a decade, to get another Tactical/non-War Simulator (Takedown: Red Sabre which irnonically is from the Raven Shield dev). Arma has been pretty much alone in represting those Simulations, and that is really sad. So good that Takedown Red Sabre came in to help.

Now, Wolfenstein: The New Order on the other hand is really bringing Old School FPS back and killing aimdownsights since in WTNO ads is less accurate than hipfiring because like i said already, realism limits amount of fun. I do not play a game like DOOM for realism, i play it for fun. If i want realism i can fire up one of those Simulations or go to an actual firing range In Real Life.

AHA, now it shows. There is a giant difference bewteen 'i do not like simulations', and 'everything rips of everything'.

I advice you to go to this site ;
http://www.indiedb.com/games?filter=t&kw=Search+...&released=&style=3&theme=&indie=&type=

It has thousands of 'fun' arcade FPs shooters some free others to be bought. Making this in a near flame war to eventually drop everything you enforced to reveal the 'fun' factor... if only you did this in the beginning and wrote something like 'i want fun action arcade FPS games'

to sum up your opinion as you boiled and cooled down ;
it was never about games being a clone of COD mechanics, as you never liked simulations. Instead of writing about the fun factor encouraging
a decent discussion or knowledge sharing topic, you kept enforcing your vision of 'rips of everything'. Eventually you cooled down and wrote what should have been the real opener without the giant irrelevant an incorrect list.

Thus, now you could make a new clean topic once in a day and get to
the actual point.

edits : excuse my editing again. typos and badly phrased content.