Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xbobby64

How were doom maps made in the beginning?

like How did people do it in 1993? there wasn't a doom builder or Slade to make wads or chex quest or stifle so Its kinda mind bagoing just thinking about it.

You must be new to Doom, or at least, a novice.

Then again, this information isn't usually known by those who play Doom, unless they get into reading information about it.

Gez said:
Stifle?

I'm sorry I mean strife sorry for my spelling.

Crasger said:
You must be new to Doom, or at least, a novice.

Not really man I'm new to DoomWorld but not Doom itself I just didn't know the history or the details of it.

in the beginning id created doom.

just thinking how the iwads would look, had there been modern, intuitive tools available like the doombuilder2 and slade3 people use today.

Not a lot different as the mappers were still very limited by the hardware of the time, making shit up as they went along and trying to get a game out quickly.

Doom as a game got delayed like two times, right? Or just one?

In the beginning John Romero plucked out a strand of his long brown hair and wished it to become e1m1 and blew on it and poof, Hangar was born. John Carmack plucked one of John Romero's hairs, wriggled his nose, fixed his glasses and blew on it and it became Doom II.

xbobby64 said:

like How did people do it in 1993? there wasn't a doom builder or Slade to make wads or chex quest or stifle so Its kinda mind bagoing just thinking about it.

I used Deu and it worked quite well. My favorite editing tool and what I based my Radiant windows to closely match years later was Deth.

You are very spoiled to have Doom builder these days.

TheCastle said:

You are very spoiled to have Doom builder these days.

Sometimes I feel ashamed of the fact that people have done better things with a hex editor than what I've done with Doom Builder...

It's rather saddening.

If there's a talent, it's apparent even if tools are crap. If there's not a talent, it's apparent even if tools are awesome.

But yeah, I'd also wish to be able to craft out better maps / more effectively, if I consider how many possibilities and advantages we have nowadays with modern editors. But no, the above statement about talent applies, and my maps tend to look old-schoolish in the worse way, despite my efforts to avoid that.

I am working on another game with its own map format.
The first test rooms are generated by hex poking. This hardly counts as the format often changes during initial coding and some minimal test input is needed.
But the map editor is created shortly afterwards well before the program is finished.
This is the same for any program with a file format that needs an editor, whether it be a game wad or a bookkeeping system.