Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

[Release] Big Woodchip

Download Link

Big Woodchip is my hundredth map and also follows on from Woodchip and Woodchip Woodchip in the second and third Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, respectively, making it a series! This was meant to be a speedmap too, taking maybe 6 hours tops, but I abandoned that idea in favour of something a bit more fitting of the name "Big". It's a fairly linear limit-removing map for Doom II and should keep you busy for 10-15 minutes or so if you load it up.

You actually count how many maps you made, heh.
Lots of heights but no variation for textures that make this look kinda boring.

with a name like Big Woodchip, i would've expected the theme of the level to be consistent and not break out into something else...

Doomhuntress said:

with a name like Big Woodchip, i would've expected the theme of the level to be consistent and not break out into something else...

It's "Wood, metal and rocks" - predominantly wood :P

Looking good, I dig the brown / red color theme and height variation.

Also, congrats on making that many maps :)

And we're done! Have a download link.

I've got difficulty settings in there, although the map isn't particularly difficult on UV, so there isn't a world of difference between Normal and Hard. Feedback is appreciated as always.

Very nice map. I've played it quickly and partially with cheating (IDDQD-refilling health whenever I was low on it, then turning the cheat off again). The map leads the player forward in a satisfying way, but even despite this linearity, the layout appears compact enough for easy navigation and getting the sense of space, which I like. No complaints about design or detailing, it's great how it creates an atmosphere. I like how the difficulty increases very fluently, as you advance and get weapons. Particular battles feel like "setpieces" even though the desing isn't really suited for them - but the battles are good. I play badly and wasn't as successful as I'd like, but I think the gameplay is balanced alright and there's no problematique part.

I'm a fan of liberal movement in Doom levels, and your maps are quite ambiguous in this regard. Drops, ledges and narrow catwalks are a sign that you don't focus only on combat, but try provide an interesting experience from wandering the map overally. I like this, much more than when a map is just corridors - and having some experience with your maps, I know you're always providing interesting settings and playability. Also how you put ammo in places so that the player needs to do a couple additional steps off his main path to gain it, that's good IMO. However I'm not that keen on blocking lines that wouldn't have to be blocking. They're another element of your mapping you use often, and in my opinion, you could abandon them completely. Because they unnaturally deny the free movement. As they weren't any big deal in this particular map, I'm very satisfied.

Not that the map pushes limits of revolutionary ideas at all, but we've got a lot of other mappers who do that. Pleasant classic-playing maps are always welcomed as well. Good job, and congrats on your 100th map and overally, on getting it this far in your mapping carriere! I admire you for that. ;)

Thanks for the analysis and observations :) I think I'll archive this tomorrow, leaving another day for any bugs to get reported before I do so.

I've already got the start to Bigger Woodchip sorted, but there's a couple of other things I want to get done before I get any further into it. Something for next month, perhaps.

I've been playing a lot of RollerCoaster Tycoon as of late and, when faced with "make a wood-themed map" in the second Abyssal Speedmapping Session, I used the name. Then 3 came around and I stuck to the theme and adopted it to the "Wormhole" one proposed... Kind of figured I'd do a bit more with the idea than just two-hour speed maps, hence this. Now there's only one more "Woodchip" name in the game that I've not used, so it's incoming ;)