Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Der Gillster

How to play wrw wad within another pwad?

OK well I downloaded IDE in order to play the weapons resource wad on single player in the 3000 cyberdemons wad.

Link here below what 3000 cybm is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT72DHBwypM

Well i would like to play with the weapons resource wad and the IDE is giving me a hard time and is not working. I keep getting messages like error code = 740 and 1223. Does IDE even work at all for these wads or am I doing something wrong? I really would like to slaughter 3000 cyberdemons with some unique weapons.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the IDE issue, as I'm not acquainted well enough with it. I wish I could help, sorry.

I'm curious about the poll. It's a little confusing and seemingly has nothing to do with the question you pose. Unless you're telling us to be informative and not swear, but that would be better placed in the post itself. This also would have been better to post in the Source Ports subforum rather than Blogs. Don't bother to recreate the thread there, I'm sure a moderator will come by soon enough to move it.

Either way, I wish you luck, and hope that someone more knowledgeable about IDE can solve your problem.

Thank you friend and well yeah I know it is bad in grammar. English was never my best subject in high school. Well to be more exact I was wondering how do you play multiple pwads within an iwad. Do you go to the command prompt and type it? Do you type it during gameplay? I was reading another post and well someone posted saying to us IDE. Well thats not working out for me so far.

I take it you're trying to host a multiplayer match? In the "create server" pop-up window, there should be a box that you can define which PWADs to load in a list.

Regardless if you're using ZDaemon or Zandronum*, the players joining will need to have the same PWADs as the server. You can join your own server by connecting to 127.0.0.0 (if it's on the same machine). You need to keep certain network ports open, you can either define your own or use the defaults (check your source port's documentation if you choose the latter option).

*if you're using Skulltag, you should use Zandronum instead, as Skulltag has ceased development and maintainence. Zandronum is essentially the same thing, but picked up by a different development team (mostly the same guys minus the original leader).

No I just want to play single player. I am playing a wad with another wad. Only the other wad is just a weapons mod while the other just is a level based wad. Yes I have skulltag.

could always do it the old-school way trough the command line :
Skulltag.exe -file 'nameA.wad' -file 'nameB.wad'

this way you can load more than one PWAD, as long as they do not connflict.

in this case :
skulltag.exe -file 'levelwadname.wad' -file 'weaponpackname.wad'.

and to complete the old-school way put the commands in a batch file.

Just single player then, that makes things a lot simpler. IDE is a multiplayer organizer, since it was suggested to you, either the person misunderstood you thinking that you wanted to play multiplayer, or they were just stupid and didn't know what the correct tools are. If they understood that you intended to do singleplayer, I'd suggest not taking advice from whoever suggested IDE anymore.

You could either use the command line and enter "skulltag.exe -file 1.wad 2.wad 3.wad" and so on. FireFish's suggestion isn't entirely correct, you don't need to put -file for every PWAD, only once, and define all of the WADs you intend to load after than singular -file parameter. Note that priority is least to greatest, left to right. In my example, if 1.wad and 3.wad have conflicting contents, 3 would override it. Likewise, if you put it like "-file 3.wad 1.wad 2.wad", 1 would override 3, and 2 would override 1.

If you don't want to deal with the command line, you can use a launcher such as ZDL. Note that most ports don't support loading WADs after the engine has already started. I think maybe Doom Legacy does, but it's old and doesn't support ZDoom based stuff (though I'm not sure what the new upcoming version has).

Also, I strongly suggest that you use Zandronum instead of Skulltag. They're the same engine minus the name change. Any version called Skulltag is out of date and may not work with newer WADs. Of course, if you don't intend to do any multiplayer, I'd recommend picking up ZDoom or GZDoom instead, as that is what Zandronum/Skulltag are based on.

Der Gillster said:

Wait do I start off like that in batch/command line or no?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I'll attempt to answer.

If you want to use the command line instead of a launcher program, (assuming you're using Windows) press and hold the Windows key and press R, this will bring up the run window, which is a minimalistic command line that only supports one command at a time. You could also go to Start, Applications (or Programs, I haven't used Windows in a while so I don't remember), Accessories, and there should be something called DOS Prompt or Command Line or something similar sounding in there.

Of course, there are programs that provide a GUI to do all of this for you. http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Thanks a lot Sodaholic! Thanks to your advice I got my wads running! You have earned my respect as a valued Doomsworld member. Dont what I could have done without you!