Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

The Mercuria Experiment

It's something like The Plutonia Experiment. So, play it with the Plutonia IWAD...

Currently 8 levels (plan is to get it full 32). All levels are pistol startable, and continuous play is ok too.

Screenshots:
MAP01
MAP02
MAP03
MAP04
MAP05
MAP06
MAP07
MAP17 - currently in MAP08 slot (so you don't need to warp into it after 07)

Download - The Mercuria Experiment - V001

Demos and feedback are welcome.

Limit removing? Vanilla? Boom? Looks great, I'll get you some FDAs tomorrow I think.

I enjoyed these as well, nice looking and fun to play. I recorded some FDAs too (all maps included). Died only a few times total but I think the difficulty was fine anyway. Map06 was a bit confusing though due to the obscure "switches", getting the YK was a happy accident for me and nothing more. Or maybe more like an angry accident...

Yeah, getting the yellow key was kinda tedious , took me quite some time to figure out how.

PrBoom somehow screwed up my demo for Map3-4 so these two are missing.
Here's another FDA for Map5-8.

8 fdas if you want to see:
http://speedy.sh/vzfRy/mercuria-4-fda-fail-ggg.zip

Occasional hanging things block (in complevel 9 at least). Map 6 might not work for complevel 9 either, not sure. The 'harder' maps were pretty easy, like pretty easy to kill the double cybers of the last map from safety above, plus they kill everyone else for you. They were fun, they felt like 50% plutoniaish I guess.

Thanks for the demos. They've given me some thoughts and also fun to see how everyone plays so differently.

Yea, it would be nice if the Doom2 hanging bodies weren't obstacles, so they could be placed more freely, or that things just never were infinitely tall. Well anyway, this is probably vanilla compatible.

Maybe Map04 start needs player to be kinda lucky, at least when pistol starting. I could tweak it for a bit, maybe put more weapons around the level... could also change the invisibility for supercharge, or some 25-50 health bonuses stack?

Maybe I'll make the Map06 first room switch easier to activate, or some more hints into it. The yellow key puzzle (and some other stuff) was like the same as in Doom64 Map08. I'd like to keep the puzzle stuff in the level...

Map06 solutions:

Spoiler

Start room: punch/saw/shoot the pillar with the skull
Yellow key: use the face outside the room when the YK platform is raised/bars are open
Plasma gun: use the computer screen to lower the book shelves

Also if you find 66% of the secrets in Map05, you found them all. One extra sector was left as a secret in the blue armor/plasma gun secret... oops.

I recorded some demos too: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/mercuria_demos_001_jim.zip
Somehow I managed to survive map07 mancubuses without taking a hit...

Jimi said:

The yellow key puzzle (and some other stuff) was like the same as in Doom64 Map08.

Ahh now i remember.
I knew that i had seen a similar puzzle before somewhere but Doom64 didn't came into my mind.

Jimi said:

Yea, it would be nice if the Doom2 hanging bodies weren't obstacles, so they could be placed more freely, or that things just never were infinitely tall. Well anyway, this is probably vanilla compatible.

You can create a DEHACKED file that removes the obstacle attribute from hanging bodies.

cool maps! I dig the way you approach item placement and trap design (played map01-02 so far). will record some fdas on the rest.

btw what -complevel is this designed for, 2, 4, 9? I was playing on 9 thus far.

Damn, jimi! Someone has been playing speed of doom lately! Final doom the way id did has some competition! This is arguably the best plutonian themed mapset I've ever played! This is a lot of fun and definitely stays true to the violent and fastpaced plutonia challenge we all love. The environments are at a clean and simple detail level just like the original iwad, and the layouts are dynamic enough to deliver a fun strategic challenge with every horde of monsters you encounter. I like Plutonia 2 and Plutonia revisited, but this one hits all the right notes for me.

I haven't played any of your maps in a long time, but this demo shows that you know your stuff. Great job!

Here's an hour and a half long FDA -complevel 9 of the whole thing if you're interested. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this megawad! Keep it up! I managed to get some fisting action on MAP08/MAP17 too btw :)

The infighting revenants managed to pin him in a corner and nudge him over the ledge. Not sure if thats something that can be fixed with block monster lines, since there's a fight in that nukage pit prior to the bridge raising. oh well.

Thanks. Really liked watching when you went through map02. I hope I can find some time to work on more levels... was a bit sick previous week and couldn't do much else.

Complevel 9 is probably ok. I don't remember what they all are, I saw some list once.

"the bug" in map01... you could always shoot the enemies stuck on the "door" to get it continue moving. It's a feature :P

And seems like I've hidden my secrets really well...

Damn, this is great. Bunch of boring FDAs in case you've got nothing more interesting to watch:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rn4qc2
Very solid mapset, maps 01, 04 & 05 (didn't care much about e1m2 tribute in this one, but later on everything turned out to be quite spectacular combat-wise, so no big deal) stood out the most for me. 02 & 06, in turn, weren't so good, felt pretty much out of place and somewhat weird (that yellow key puzzle in 06 definitely kept me 'entertained' for some time; obscure switches all over the place), but still far from being horrible.

There are some instances of awkwardly-marked secrets, take a closer look at 02 & 05.

Overall it was quite enjoyable, please make more of these.