Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

Original un-ultimate registered Doom!

So, I was wondering, considering all the source ports, console tc's, and wads distributed underground over the internet, is there by any chance a copy of the original registered doom or a wad of it in existence. By this I mean pure DOOM without the ultimate subtitle on the title screen and no episode 4. I know there is the shareware wad, but the latter 2 episodes are locked. I ask this as a rock hardcore doomer if there exists a 1.9 or earlier doom purely for nostalgic purposes.

Apart from downgrade patching Ultimate Doom, the real thing also turns up on eBay on a regular basis. Usually quite expensive, on 4 floppy disks and with no guarantee they're 100% readable.

Woolie Wool said:

I wonder if Doom the Way Id Did runs in registered Doom v1.9, or even v1.666.

Registered Doom 1.9 is basically Ultimate Doom without the Ultimate bolted on. Barring episode 4, whatever works in one will work in the other.

Original owner of Doom Shareware, Registered 1.2, 1.666 Patch disk, 1.9, Ultimate, Doom 2 1.7, and Final Doom Retail. I intend to archive my original floppies sometime this week; fingers crossed they all still work (my install disk 1 for Blake Stone: Planet Strike! failed about a week ago...)

It seems that LADOPATO doesn't have patches for the BFG IWADs in there. Is Doomgater still active? I could generate some patches, as I own the Steam version of BFG Edition.

I'm not sure if those patches I released a while back work properly, I seem to remember accidentally generating against the 1.666 Doom 2 IWAD, rather than 1.9. I might've fixed it though, but it's best to be certain and do it over from scratch.

Woolie Wool said:

It should (at least 1.9), it was designed for vanilla limits.

BlueFeena said:

Registered Doom 1.9 is basically Ultimate Doom without the Ultimate bolted on.

It's worth noting that E1M1 was modified. The other maps remained untouched, AFAIK. Also, I don't remember if Registered 1.9 has Doom 2 sprites in it, but Ultimate does. Some of them are slightly different, probably old versions (bad alignments, crappier shading).

Sodaholic said:

It seems that LADOPATO doesn't have patches for the BFG IWADs in there. Is Doomgater still active? I could generate some patches, as I own the Steam version of BFG Edition.

Well, yes, I'm still alive, but I've quit Windows long time ago, so there is no upgrade for LADOPATO, sorry! Maybe I'll provide a complete set of all bspatch-patchdata some day, but it's not really scheduled now...
Until that day, please use THIS package do patch the BFG-Edition-IWADs.

Woolie Wool said:

It should run with either IWAD if you add a SKY4 patch.

Sodaholic said:

I don't remember if Registered 1.9 has Doom 2 sprites in it, but Ultimate does.

Yep, so has 1.666.

BlueFeena said:

Registered Doom 1.9 is basically Ultimate Doom without the Ultimate bolted on. Barring episode 4, whatever works in one will work in the other.

In addition to the E1M1 map change mentioned by Sodaholic, there's also a difference in the tag 666 behaviour, which can affect pwads that make any non-standard use of this tag on E1M8, E2M8 or E3M8. The most famous examples are uac_dead.wad and Aliens TC.

There's a change in lost soul behaviour that doesn't break any maps that I am aware of (and it is hard to imagine that there are any), but presumably you could specifically construct a map where that was the case. Not that this would be a very sensible thing to do. :p

I remember as a kid watching the demos just playback often.

I think there was one demo I saw where they actually finished a level rather than dying, I want to say it was E1M2 but I haven't had any luck finding it so far looking through the various versions. Any idea what version of Doom that was?