Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

what is the best source port for Hacx?

I'm playing the game on doomsday source port, game looks good but I can't play very well since there's no option to invert the mouse vertically. also can't get rid of the window bar so I have the frame at the top of the screen with the minus minumize and x. kinda annoying.

Use ZDoom with Hacx 1.2/2.0 or play the original in vanilla/Chocolate Doom. I've found that the original's Dehacked work never works perfectly with a source port. Also I would not really recommend Doomsday for playing anything not made specifically for Doomsday.

Woolie Wool said:

I've found that the original's Dehacked work never works perfectly with a source port.

Back in 2005 we put in a fair bit of work* to make sure Hacx works correctly in Prboom+. There are no known demo sync problems (a higher standard than is needing for simply playing a wad and having it work OK). Use -complevel 2 to get true "vanilla" (D)Hacx.exe behaviour. And use this version.

* Two snippets from the changelog, fixing problems inherited from Boom and PrBoom:

[-] Boom dehacked support: wrong processing of Max Health. A new compatibility option has been added so that it applies only to health potions. Highly relevant to wads such as Hacx, Wotdoom3, Anadream, and any others that change this setting.

[-] PrBoom dehacked support: wrong processing of Bits parameter if its value is equal to zero. No more desync on HACX demos.

Prboom+ allows you to invert the mouse, and there are a bunch of HUD options (press F5 to cycle through them).

Hacx 1.2 is officially supported as an IWAD by Chocolate Doom, Doomsday, EDGE, Eternity, GZDoom and ZDoom. It's a bit more polished than Hacx 1.1, so if you aren't watching 1.1 demos I'd suggest using 1.2.

Woolie Wool said:

I've found that the original's Dehacked work never works perfectly with a source port.

Grazza said:

Back in 2005 we put in a fair bit of work* to make sure Hacx works correctly in Prboom+. There are no known demo sync problems (a higher standard than is needing for simply playing a wad and having it work OK). Use -complevel 2 to get true "vanilla" (D)Hacx.exe behaviour. And use this version.

* Two snippets from the changelog, fixing problems inherited from Boom and PrBoom:

Prboom+ allows you to invert the mouse, and there are a bunch of HUD options (press F5 to cycle through them).

OK, so what exactly doesn't work with source ports? I've been playing it with ZDoom 2.7.1 and haven't found any problems (Hacx v1.2).

Shapeless said:

I'm playing the game on doomsday source port, game looks good but I can't play very well since there's no option to invert the mouse vertically.

There are options to invert X and/or Y axis under mouse on the taskbar settings menu.

The taskbar can be accessed by default with ` or shift+esc. One can change these bindings if one wishes.

Shapeless said:
...also can't get rid of the window bar so I have the frame at the top of the screen with the minus minumize and x. kinda annoying. [/B]

F11 toggles between full screen and windowed modes in Dday (in ZDoom it's alt + enter).

"There are options to invert X and/or Y axis under mouse on the taskbar settings menu.

The taskbar can be accessed by default with ` or shift+esc. One can change these bindings if one wishes."

Great so what do I type into the console to invert my mouse?

nevermind figured it out. took me 40 minutes to beat the first level and now I'm board of the game. what would be the best source port for classic doom with brutal doom?

thanks for all the input guys

Shapeless said:

what would be the best source port for classic doom with brutal doom?

If I'm not mistaken, Brutal Doom only works with GZDoom.