Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

what are the demon's fireballs made of?

What does everyone thing the demon's fireballs are made of?

Just pure flame? (like pyro from xmen?)
Some kind of liquid like a flame thrower? (mancubus?)
they conjure up some king of solid substance that burns and disintegrates when it hits something? (like a mini meteor?)

I remember them stating that it's some kind of plasma at least with the HK's and BOH's.

Waffenak said:

demon spits on his/her hand substance that ignites and after that throws it.

I think the Doom novel described it like that (might have specifically been mucus).

Needless to say, the Doom novels aren't canon. I'm pretty sure they're just fire, though in the case of cacos and barons/knights, some sort of magic fire? I don't think it really needs much explanation, just shoot the bastards.

Avoozl said:

I remember them stating that it's some kind of plasma at least with the HK's and BOH's.

Well, fire is a form of plasma.

The mancubus obviously shoots actuall fireballs(fuel tanks on his back, cybernetic launcher...)

Hell nobles throws green plasma IIRC, i have read about it somewhere.

Imps - fire (conjured up)
Cacodemons - lightening balls (their mouths seem to have electricity in them when firing)
Mancubus - fire (as said above, fired from flamethrowers)
Baron/Knight - I've always viewed it as an acidic slime that their hands secrete, just because it looks liquid and viscous

I think the other enemy projectiles are pretty straight forward. In Doom 3 the Cacodemons seem to shoot something that is a more generic "energy" if memory serves, whilst Hell Knights do throw conjured plasma much like Imps do with fireballs. Mancs still have some kind of flamethrower that does projectiles, but then again, it is a game so it doesn't need to be physically possible to work.

I always thought the Imp fireballs we're contained form of fire via demonic energy, whereas Mancubus fireballs were just huge balls of napalm.

Kind of a pointless question. They're made of bytes and pixels.

Alternatively, they're made of perfect hatred.

Hatred is a combustible (everyone has heard about the damage that burning hatred can cause) and it's a non-physical element so the fireballs can fly slowly without being affected by gravity or losing momentum to friction with the atmosphere or whatever. And demons innately have an infinite supply of it.

But then wouldn't the demons with the hatred also combust at least when killed?

"You'll be dodging the fireballs. They got a lot of fire and a lot of... hootspa"

Burning hatred? Sounds like a viable and inexpensive alternative to an underfloor heating system! Just cram a gaggle of imps into the underside of your two-storied house or apartment block with a bright mosaic of a happy human family for company and hey presto, you're set for winter!

Avoozl said:

But then wouldn't the demons with the hatred also combust at least when killed?

They do in Doom 3.

Obviously they're made of fire, hence the term "fireballs".

Flame (or plasma, if you want), kept intact in a "ball-like" form by some demonic energy. Both flame and the energy are making the fireball and cause damage.

That's how I've always imagined it.

Alternative theory #7,665: They're repurposed partial invisibility spheres. Hell received an extra 3 billion shipments of Blur™ from their demonic service and powerup provider in Maine and now the imps are being forced to use them as makeshift projectiles to justify the cost. Keep playing Doom for another 30 years and you'll find that some of the imps no longer have a projectile attack and that others start throwing bits of cutlery instead.

Logically, fireballs and spheres might have something in common. They may use the same demonic energy to keep something like a curse (Blursphere) or a human soul (Soulsphere) inside, just to be released upon touch to take effect on the activator.

I wish Doom monsters could use their own sphere artifacts. Imagine an imp grabbing a megasphere and turning into a giant beast on steroids. Or an invulnerability sphere. Doom 4 could have this mechanic.

Every time a male member of the Doom community talks about My Little Pony [TM], an evil Tinkerbell is created. Birthed in the flames of rage, the evil Tinkerbells read every post on every internet in every dimesion, and great is their fury to see so many grown men trying to get their online mates to watch a little girl's programme (which isn't even that good, I watched five minutes of it and felt the time would have been more productively spent strimming my pubes).

When the Imps summon the evil Tinkerbells to punish sinners (everyone's a Bronie to them), they exclaim "Uh-oh, Tink's on heat!" and laugh to themselves in their garbled dialect. The PSX version of Doom has actual Imp voices, the PC version is a shitty translation by a part-time Japanese student who also did the translation for Final Fantasy 7.

Hmm, let's think about this for a moment... Well for starters, the phrase "demon's" indicates that you are talking about the Pinky Demon, which uses no fireballs whatsoever. Assuming you are referring to one of the other demons such as the Imp, let's break down the phrase "fireballs". As you can clearly tell, the phrase can be broken down into two words: "fire" and "balls". This implies that the aforementioned "fireballs" are in fact balls made out of fire. Fire. I hope I have done a sufficient job at clearing this conundrum up for everyone.

^I miss the point. My imagination might not be the best, specially in low-res. Probably you think those two look somewhat similar, but for me the similarity is too vague to be even worth mentioning, honestly.

Oh, maybe I see now, as I've realized what's this thread about. OK then, fine. I have to be too tired, apologizes. :)

darkreaver said:

They are made up of flaming balls of stupid as fuck questions

Hey now, everyone likes to have an imagination. One of the cooler things about Doom and the like is that you can more or less come up with part of the story yourself and just assume whatever you want (Granted, you can do that in any game, to an extent).

I think this raises an interesting thematic point.

Doom 1 is not-too-distant future military scifi horror. Pernicious science unleashes evil, the ordered world breaks down. Trooballs and bruiserpuffs are made out of hell magic. Hell has co-opted human technology only through the possessed marines, and aside from the two demon overlords, who apparently either know about technology or are the first ones to use it for themselves, everything is just made out of satan.

Doom 2 is a more exaggerated and abstract. It is a much bigger step away from Aliens and the Doom Bible. Tricks and Traps? What the hell is that? It's now less of a military horror thing and more purely a running around blowing up monsters thing.

We might also note that the "Hellish Takeover" motif, generally a part of level design, has, in Doom 2, now become part of enemy design. On Phobos, there were just imps throwing balls of hell magic, but now that Hell has come to Earth, the demons have started using rocket launchers and such.

darkreaver said:

They are made up of flaming balls of stupid as fuck questions

Not when you are going to try and recreate them in the best possible way with particles and/or animated textures on 2d plane. It's a great way to get input from the community.