Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mouldy

Going Down

Finally started playing these maps, really liked what I saw so far. Remembering how overwhelmed I got in E1, and wanting to try FDA style, I played on HMP. I'm playing pretty bad today I think, so despite several deaths I'd say they're appropriately balanced for this skill level. That said I'm likely to go back to UV sometime later, because I feel like I'm missing out on some of the chaos that defined E1 but I'm sure I can't handle UV without saves.

So, FDAs for 12-15 on HMP, if you want them. If they're entertaining or helpful I'll make more in this style, otherwise I may or may not just switch to UV with copious save-spamming. If you find them boring, don't feel like you need to watch them, I certainly won't take offence.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1257969

Map 14 I immediately grab the key and then exit, probably like DotW did. I did play it "properly" later but didn't record, oops. Well I died a lot there anyhow, but I liked the way the map kept opening up a lot and intersecting with itself.

Not feeling very verbose right now, I'm not sure I have much to add that hasn't been said already though. No major issues other than the YK in Map 14, lots of fun, and great visual design.

plums said:

Finally started playing these maps, really liked what I saw so far.

Excellent, cheers for the FDAs, very entertaining. Good job getting through map 15 without those soulspheres on the pillars, bet you wish you had those earlier. I find it very difficult to keep starting a map over when I die, so any time you want to go back to saving be my guest, but i'll certainly welcome any more FDAs you feel like doing.

Good to see HMP getting a run through, I can't remember the changes I made on most of the maps for difficulty settings, but so far it looks about right.

Yeah I think I pick up like 300% health once all the monsters are dead? Durrr. I should have tried the pillars but for some reason they didn't strike me as a usable thing. That's probably just my fault though.

I'll do more HMP FDAs, though I might not finish every one of them (didn't in my unrecorded attempt at 14). The benefit of small maps like these is that I don't mind retrying them so much, at least a few times.

I'm still doing da' videoz! However, I'm kinda slow because no one would watch a half-hour video.

I just started playing through these levels a few days ago and am currently on map32; really fun, the maps are short and sweet and the fights are pretty brutal in places, these 2 factors combine to form a really entertaining experience that doesn't get tedious. I have to say I very much enjoy the gimmick of it all being one building - map31's views into previous maps was a great touch.

Katamori said:

I'm still doing da' videoz! However, I'm kinda slow because no one would watch a half-hour video.

Good stuff, i'm interested to see how you get on with the next map. I can't remember if I took the mastermind out for HMP..

Foodles said:

I just started playing through these levels a few days ago and am currently on map32; really fun, the maps are short and sweet and the fights are pretty brutal in places, these 2 factors combine to form a really entertaining experience that doesn't get tedious. I have to say I very much enjoy the gimmick of it all being one building - map31's views into previous maps was a great touch.

thanks, glad you are enjoying it so far. I originally planned for the maps to be even shorter than this, but got carried away with the amount of monsters I poured into them.

mouldy said:

Good stuff, i'm interested to see how you get on with the next map. I can't remember if I took the mastermind out for HMP..

Gosh, doesn't even sound good...can you bear my freakouts anyway? I don't wanna be irritating or something.

Katamori said:

Gosh, doesn't even sound good...can you bear my freakouts anyway? I don't wanna be irritating or something.

You seem to be doing quite well so far though. Things start getting a bit hectic after map08, but hopefully not so bad on HMP. Hopefully.

Hey mouldy!

I have an amazing idea! Would you like to participate next time when I do my LP? You may join on Skype.

Katamori said:

Hey mouldy!

I have an amazing idea! Would you like to participate next time when I do my LP? You may join on Skype.

haha, cheers for the offer, I'm a bit too reclusive for that though. I find it hard enough talking to people I know

Here is an update that fixes a bunch of stuff people found over the last couple of weeks, thanks for all the help testing:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/60kvkuz12x8cf3y/goingdownE2-apr19.zip

This is probably the last update I'll do until episode 3 eventually gets done (unless someone finds something terribly broken). No idea how long that will take, episode 2 was a few months in the making so it might be a while yet. But it will definitely happen some time this year.

Just tell me that the third episode won't continue in the spirit of MAP20. Otherwise, if I'd play it at all, then probably on I Am Too Young To Die. :)

scifista42 said:

Just tell me that the third episode won't continue in the spirit of MAP20. Otherwise, if I'd play it at all, then probably on I Am Too Young To Die. :)

heh, your d2ino maps are mega hard, i'm surprised you have trouble with these. Your map19 was one of the hardest maps I ever played in fact.

mouldy said:

your d2ino maps are mega hard
Your map19 was one of the hardest maps I ever played in fact.

Lol, what?!? :) How can it be? I don't even put freely-moving hordes in my maps, and I allow a slow and consequent advance as a possible strategy. Mostly. So what "hard"? Your maps 19 and 20 are HARD! But thanks for letting me know. ;)

Cool, looks like I did remove the mastermind on map07 for HMP after all. I have a feeling map08 might be a bit too easy on that difficulty, although it might just be continuous play giving you lots of rockets... I can live with that though.

Oh yes, the fact that I didn't get a Spiderdemon on MAP07 was a great relief. You know, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to finish that map without cheats otherwise.

About MAP08, I wouldn't call it easy because of the obvious fact that it has a LOT of Arch-Viles - they are tough enemies! Also, I think in the aspect of the storyline, it's pretty OK - the first underground level, a kind of change in difficulty after the tough grond floor fight. It's a little bit like entering into the Citadel at the end of Half-Life 2, where the city fights before that were way tougher.

Katamori said:

About MAP08, I wouldn't call it easy because of the obvious fact that it has a LOT of Arch-Viles - they are tough enemies!

Well you will be glad to hear that since they escaped from that crate they will now be running around in many future maps

Hey, just wanted to pop in here and let you know that I'm really enjoying these maps mouldy! I played through the first 10~ish and skimmed through the others to check them out. The premise is interesting and I like the zaniness in some of the designs and traps. Some of the later maps look incredibly difficult but I haven't properly played through them yet. The detailing and visuals are pretty fantastic too :)

Keep it up man!

Mechadon said:

Hey, just wanted to pop in here and let you know that I'm really enjoying these maps mouldy! I played through the first 10~ish and skimmed through the others to check them out. The premise is interesting and I like the zaniness in some of the designs and traps. Some of the later maps look incredibly difficult but I haven't properly played through them yet. The detailing and visuals are pretty fantastic too :)

Keep it up man!

Cheers mate! Some of those later maps are more friendly than they look once you get to know them.

9th map was just as tough as I could bear it. Also, escaping at the end was surprisingly easy.

10th map was kinda pleasantful, especially in design aspects.

11th map is horror itself, loved it! But that cybie was cruel.

Cool, you did well there. I'm liking how you are getting through the maps quite fast, some of them are easy to escape if you don't mind leaving monsters alive but since its a continuous adventure I wanted to give people the option of racing through the maps quickly if they want. Originally I wanted all the maps to take only a few minutes to play, but that went out the window a bit when I started adding so many enemies.

Yeah, usually I also feel that I shouldn't escape that quickly since monsters are placed with the purpose of forcing me to kill them.

Glad you follow a different philosophy.

Finally, I just played through the rest of the maps in the second episode. Did pistol starts on HMP again. Quite fun, some felt much harder than others at this difficulty - 18 in particular was quite tricky, but then 19 and 20 were relatively easy. Oh well, I enjoyed them, I'm sure UV will be more of a challenge.

FDAs for the April 19 wad:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1265915

Some finish, some don't, I wander around a whole lot at the end of 200 Mega Hurts looking for secrets so FFWD that if you want.

In brief:

MAP31: A fun subversion of the elevator concept, nice to check out all the previous rooms.

MAP32: Another excellent secret level concept, felt like this one was a bit too dangerous for me to handle without saving at all.

MAP16: Nice hellish architecture, I could have been less stingy about picking up that megasphere but it seemed like there was never a good time to get it where I wasn't wasting health or armour. Especially with all the blue armour pickups around.

MAP17: Love the look and the use of those BRONZE midtextures or whatever they are. Pretty hard.

MAP18: Also hard and good-looking. Doesn't work great without saves because of the longish start, though I suppose I don't need to pick up everything. Managed to hit the detonator from up high in my last attempt. Also some minor HOM in GLBoom+ in front of those barrels, though it's a bit hard to see it in this picture.

Also in the starting bit, where you punch or shoot out the rocks, the sound comes from the right in PrBoom+ because of control sectors probably.

MAP19: Great fun, even though it was fairly easy. I did almost get swamped in lost souls at one point, but managed to get through.

Invisible barriers have some HOM in GLBoom+

Also in the CWILVxx patch (white text that says "200 Mega hurts") the numbers look like they're from a different font. Don't know what you're using to generate those graphics but the winscreen % tally has the right font size for numbers, if the wrong colour. ZDoom probably has them in the right colour somewhere in zdoom.pk3, you can also get it to generate text if you replace the map name but not the CWILVxx patch.

edit:

MAP20: Awesome all around, didn't even need the BFG thanks to infighting, I bet UV is a different story though. The ending glitches a bit as I don't actually jump down the pit due to hesitation, but then the end-level trigger activates anyhow.

Going to go back to the ones I didn't finish and tackle them with saves, and then probably play the whole thing UV-continuous when the final episode is released. Pretty soon, right? ;D

plums said:

Excellent cheers mate, entertaining viewing. Funny you did map 20 without the bfg, I'm not sure if UV has any less enemies on that map, maybe just less health/ammo, but interesting to see it done the stealthy way. Map 19 was always going to either be easy or impossible I think, HMP has a few more invuls than UV, I had to remember some people aren't so good at dealing with archviles at the best of times, so even on UV its pretty do-able.

The font I used for the map text didn't have numbers for some reason so I used 'o' instead I think. I can probably sort that out at some point. Thanks for bringing some other stuff to my attention as well.

I haven't started working on the final episode yet! I needed a break and a chance to play other people's stuff, but I am drawing up plans in my head. Oh by the way I can't remember if I said thanks for the city sky texture that you whipped up in another thread, making it tile vertically. I pinched it for this.

mouldy said:

The font I used for the map text didn't have numbers for some reason so I used 'o' instead I think. I can probably sort that out at some point. Thanks for bringing some other stuff to my attention as well.

Welcome. You did see that I made you a '200' graphic in the last post? Take it if you want it.

Also, that tiling sky, I thought it was familiar. I've actually been meaning to fix it a bit, there's some dots that stay solid with really high gamma. I'll get to it in a moment...

e: an improvement

I just recorded MAP12, 13 and 14, and I have a question:

mouldy, did you test these maps properly? or are you a sadistic mapper?

I mean, I seriously had a WTF reaction for the difficulty on E2 maps. I can't imagine, how could you take these amount seriously...both design and concept are amazing, but maps are so cruel and trollish that I almost got a stroke while recoding.