Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kloki38

Doom how to rename skills

I want to ask, how i can rename skills in Doom 2. For example from I'm Too Young To Die to Novice.

In vanilla the names are a graphic.

Open the IWAD in SLADE
Find the graphic, make a note of the name
Make a new graphic and save it with the same name
Import the graphic into your PWAD using SLADE
New graphic will replace the old one when you play the game

ZDoom allows to define custom skills in MAPINFO. MAPINFO is a text based script and to insert it into your wad, you need SLADE3 anyway.

If you want to simply rename the skill's name and not alter its behaviour, I recommend purist's solution. Because then, your skill name replacement will work in any port (not just ZDoom), and also, ZDoom custom skill names are written without a big first letter.

If you want to use the ZDoom method to simply rename the skill, you must also redefine it, no way around.

I hope its clear that by doing it the way purist said (or anything else "the vanilla way") isn't wrong if the wad you're making is for zdoom. Maybe its because I'm more experienced with vanilla that the zdoon way seems unreasonably complicated in comparison.

40oz said:

Maybe its because I'm more experienced with vanilla that the zdoon way seems unreasonably complicated in comparison.

That's a matter of opinion. A programmer will prefer working with a relatively short portion of text code, rather than messing with a graphic editor. ;)

But the universality of graphic replacements makes for the ultimate advantage, I agree.

40oz said:

..... that the zdoon way seems unreasonably complicated in comparison.

There is nothing unreasonable about it.

If you simply make a new graphic, then you still have have the same difficulty level.
And to change that for vanilla you would have to dig into DeHackEd.

The elegant solution is the Skill definition for ZDoom. Not only will it change the name
of the difficulty but alters the difficulty level in one easy step.

Of course, learning to put it into action takes time. But, besides the ZDoom Wiki, there are many mods which show the way.

For example: Project MSX.