INTERESTED PLAYERS
1. Doominator2
2. Membrain
3. GreyGhost
4. FreddBoy
5. flubbernugget
6. CorSair
7. General Rainbow Bacon
8. (if you want to sign up as a new player, I can put you on a list of replacements in case someone drops out)

Would anyone be interested in signing up for a forum game of Mafia? I am willing to run it. In order to get a good-size game going, we would need somewhere around 15 people willing to play and post on a semi-regular basis.

The basic idea is there are 2 teams: pro-town and anti-town. Both teams vote and discuss during the Day who they will vote to lynch. At the end of the Day, one player is lynched and removed from the game. Then everyone goes to sleep and players with secret roles send the game host (me) a private message or email saying how they will use their power. At the end of every Night, the anti-town Mafia send me a message saying who they have decided to kill. Then they go back to sleep and the next Day, the whole group gets back together and the game host says what happened during the Night (usually someone is killed or news is revealed). Then the lynch process begins again. In order to lynch a player, the whole group must decide by simple majority (51% or greater).

CHARACTER ROLES:
Mafia: You have the power to know who other members of the Mafia are. You may communicate with the other mafioso by sending private messages or email during the Night phase. Each Night you will select (unanimously) 1 player to kill off. If you are lynched or somehow killed, your anti-town role is revealed to the other players. You win with the Mafia.

Mafia Roleblocker: You have the power to block one player's special power every Night by sending me a private message. You won't learn anyone's ability, just whether or not you were successful. Other Mafia players will not know your extra power, at least initially. The group will not know they have lynched a roleblocker until the end of the game. If you roleblock the Insomniac, the Insomniac receives a message that someone used a power on them. You win with the Mafia.

Townsfolk: You are a normal townsperson of Doomworld. You have no special powers besides your ability to persuade other forummers and vote to lynch during the Day. Every Night you must go to sleep and are vulnerable to being killed. You win with the Town.

Detective: You are able to investigate 1 player's role by sending me a message during the Night phase. This is information that only you will know. You will receive an answer in the form of pro-town or anti-town. You win with the Town.

Doctor: During each Night phase, you can send me a message saying the name of 1 person you choose to protect from being killed. That person will receive a message that their life has been spared by an unknown benefactor if someone attempts to kill him/her but the rest of the Town will receive no news of the deed. You win with the Town.

Psychopath: You're not sure how much of a helper you are. That's ok, you like knives. During a Night phase, you may kill 1 other person throughout the course of the game by sending me a message with the person's name. Once this power is used successfully, it can't be used again. You win with the Town.

Kamikaze: You are a crazy guy. Haha, you must be fun at parties, right? If you are lynched, the last person to vote against you will be murdered along with you. If you are lynched, your role is revealed to the public. You win with the Town.

Martyr: You are not the most popular person. In the event of your name being nominated for a lynch vote, it takes 1 vote less than a simple majority for the crowd to lynch you. If you are lynched, your role is revealed to the public. You win with the Town.

Insomniac: If someone targets you with a Night action, you are notified by me when it happens. You will not be told who was responsible. You win with the Town.

Button-pusher: You have a big red button that was delivered to you in a cardboard box the on the very first Day. You have the option to press the button any time during the Day phase by sending me a private message saying that you pushed it. Once the button is pushed, it can't be undone or done again. You know it will have an immediate effect during the following Night, but you don't know what will happen. Chances are good that it is a harmless power. Matters of life and death aren't always decided by the push of a button. No matter how big or red it is. You win with the Town.

All together it looks like 2 mafia + 1 mafia roleblocker vs 5 townsfolk, 1 detective, 1 doctor, 1 psychopath, 1 kamikaze, 1 martyr, 1 insomniac, 1 button-pusher

ADDITIONAL RULES:
1. All votes or vote cancellations must be written in bold text like this vote TheCupboard or un-vote TheCupboard in order to be added to the official tally.
2. The only players who can talk privately outside the game thread are anti-town Mafia. They are the informed minority.
3. If you are killed in the game, you can't talk or vote anymore and whatever you say will be ignored.
4. The Town wins when all Mafia are lynched or killed. The Mafia wins when it is impossible for pro-town players to overpower the votes of anti-town players if they vote in unison.
5. It is important no one reveals their character role publicly except for the Detective if he/she chooses to, because then the Mafia will know who the more powerful players are.
6. Nights will last up to 72 hours, but may be shorter if all Night choices are in before the deadline.
7. Before a Day can finish, everyone must vote to lynch someone else. If you don't vote after I poke you with a public message, you may be killed mysteriously or replaced by a new player.
8. The group must lynch a player every single Day. A Day lasts as long as it has to for the group to decide who to lynch.
9. Please do not edit your posts. If you do this repeatedly, you will be killed or replaced by a new player.

Cool guys. I will be giving roles out at random by picking them out of a hat. If we don't find enough people, I will reduce some of the special roles down to a smaller odd-number to make the rules simpler.

Once there are enough people I will send all players a secret message with the instructions for your role and we can begin Day 1.

Is this stuff even playable on the internets, I thought it's all about looking at ppls faces to see if they are lying or not? Never played it myself though.

Yes, there are sites which play games that spread out over weeks or hours. Part of Mafia is knowing that you have an alarmingly small amount of information to go on at first and deciding which lynch effort you want to be involved with. As each Day passes, the group uses the voting record to decide who is voting pro-town, who is voting anti-town, who is being bold, who is hiding in plain sight, who is lurking, who jumps on the bandwagon to avoid suspicion, or whatever other logic you might want to use.

Certainly. Let's see if a few more players crawl out of the woodwork before I send out everyone's character roles. I can answer questions via PM or in here. Really it's pretty easy once we get going. I will make a few guiding posts along the way and the whole group will have a brief discussion each Day about who to lynch. Then the Night comes and anyone with a special power makes their move. The next Day more information is gathered, discussed and so forth.

Last minute sign-ups still available! The smallest game I have ever run is with 9 players, so 5 players might be a stretch, but I'm willing to run with it. ;)

Within 24 hours I hope to send everyone a PM and we can get this going as soon as possible.

Dunno if I got the rules right. But I guess I could participate, only to see if I can frig it up. ;)

*cue stage lights*
*intro music, a bird cries in the distance, rain falls softly on the town of Doomworld, a great horror stirs in the bowels of Post Hell*
(It is EARLY DAWN, all characters are asleep in their beds)

NARRATOR: Everyone has received their character roles.

Two of you are evil Mafia, plotting as a team against the other inhabitants of the Town. As of yet, your schemes and identities are not known to the other players. Your powers of Night-Murder are well-feared in these parts.

One of you is a noble Doctor, able to protect one player from being killed in the Night.

Another person is a skeptical Detective, able to investigate the identity of one player every Night.

Also in your ranks is an Insomniac, who carefully peers out of his window in case anyone dares sneak around his property during the dead of Night.

Still yet is a Button-pusher, unsure why he has this Big Red Button or what chaos or hilarity may ensue when he decides to push it.

Finally, there is one vanilla Townsperson, who has no powers to speak of besides his power of persuasion and love of a 20 year old FPS.

With the stage set, there are 5 Townspeople vs 2 Mafia. Consider your options in the hours ahead. I am waiting on everyone to reply to my PM with the name of your character role so I know there are enough confirmed players. Also note there are a few characters who are not present in this game. The only characters being played are the ones listed in this post. Mafia Roleblocker, Kamikaze, Martyr, etc are not appearing.

Everybody except General Rainbow Bacon, so that is 6/7, enough to get started.

DAY 1
The townspeople of DW poke their heads out of the windows of their respective homes. It is unseasonably cold this morning. Something foul hangs in the air, a pervasive haze that has settled over the town square. Every single one of the seven forummers gather, standing at arms-length from each other in a tight circle.

The Mafia have infiltrated the forums, you can tell already. There is a flood of spam as each one of you checks the "Doom General" subsection, mostly a bunch of account smurfs asking "What if Doom was an energy drink?" "What if Doom was an expansion pack to Wolf3D?" "What if nobody actually played Doom but kept posting here anyway?". It is the unmistakable odor of spam.

And death. It is only a matter of time before the Mafia begin Night-killing. And before the good people of DW lose their cool and lynch one of their own.

With seven of you alive, it takes 4 VOTES TO LYNCH

Reminder 1: Please don't edit your posts. It causes confusion. Double post if you must.
Reminder 2: Please write your votes in bold text.

I'll get this going. It looks like the only person we know to have played before is Freddboy. Therefore, I'm going to put some pressure on you. Are you part of the mafia?

Vote Freddboy

vote Freddboy
I'm just gonna bandwagon for now. My understanding is that during this part of the game people want to try and figure out who the investigator is?

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to go for the old "an eye for an eye" routine mwahahaha! But seriously, it's gonna be paranoia central here in a few days ;)

Good day my neighbors of every thing else boulevard. I see that Membrain seemed to have eagerly volunteered first. But why? Was he in a rush to catch the bus to visit his family in Zdoom town? It is all a mystery. And where is are dear friend General Rainbow Bacon? Did he get lost on his way to DW?

Vote Membrain

DAY 1 continues

1. FreddBoy please don't edit your posts, some people might get mixed messages. ;)
2. General Rainbow Bacon has confirmed he is playing! Everyone has their wits about them.

Carry on, remember I am just an impartial observer. I will take a vote tally periodically. Once someone gets 4 votes, he/she will be lynched immediately, discussion can continue but "the deal is sealed" if you know what I mean.

Heh, sorry about that, had to correct some really shit spelling. Guess I've got to double check everything now instead!
Hmm... Decisions, decisions...

FreddBoy said:

Hmm... Decisions, decisions...

With 6 suspects to choose from and no clues, I wimped out and rolled the dice.

Vote CorSair

With no input from either CorSair or General Rainbow Bacon, I feel like we should give them some attention. With one vote for CorSair, I'm going to switch it up and see if we can't rustle up our technicolor friend.

Un-vote Freddboy

Vote General Rainbow Bacon

Vote Tally (4 to lynch)

Freddboy (1)
Membrain (1)
CorSair (1)
General Rainbow Bacon (1)

A nice diversified showing, however preliminary it may be! Keep the ball rolling at your discretion.

Decisions, decisions... Hard to lynch someone when you don't have any sort of lead on this. :/

Winner for random vote goes for...

vote flubbernugget

Am I correct in tallying up and concluding that everybody but Freddboy has made a vote? Interesting.

Perhaps he's the investigator waiting for the night so as to find out what people are hiding. Or maybe he's mafia, waiting to make a final vote for the first unlucky townie to have three votes out of the four needed.

Membrain said:

Perhaps he's the investigator waiting for the night so as to find out what people are hiding.

That's assuming he's not the first one lynched. ;)