Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Challenges that make a Doom God

What kind of things do you need to be able to do to become a Doom God? What are the greatest achievements you've made in your quest to be the Matt Bellamy of Doom? (And don't knock Matt Bellamy, he's the fething master.)

I hear beating Ultimate Doom on Nightmare is one. Beating the properly hard megawads like Hell Revealed 1&2, Plutonia, Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Speed of Doom on Ultra Violence are others.

How long did it take people to beat the hardest maps of the hardest megawads? (Post Mortem, Dark Dome, Pyramid of Death...) And do you have any tips or challenges that we mere mortals can work with to become Doom Gods?

I'd say completing Plutonia on Ultra Violence using only the keyboard would be Doom God worthy.

"Being a self consumed prick with a snooty attitude and a large ego that you enjoy stroking constantly because you are the absolute overlord of all Dooms and there is no question to your authority because you can make a 100000 linedef detail filled .wad with supposedly superior gameplay and speedrun all of Plutonia in one sitting blindfolded whilst being whipped by a dominatrix Baroness of Hell" would sound about right.

Either that or what RUSH said.

I'm going to reinterpret your question as the slightly toned down "how I get good at hard doom maps?". To which I'd answer: play without saves.

That is, go through a map normally, with saves, or cheats, or whatever. Then once you get the gist of what happens try and beat it in one go. (record it if you're feeling frisky)

Unless you're among the few doom savants around here who breezes through anything effortlessly, playing without saves pretty much forces you to incrementally master each part of a map, reliably progressing will require picking up whatever skills are necessary to beat each encounter. In the case of very difficult stuff (slaughterfest stuff, or whatever) it's mostly just a combination of puzzle-solving (in the form of crowd/resource management, route choices) and twitch skill. practice, son.

Ofc plenty of outliers, some maps require ridiculously specific tactics, others not so much. Short version: just play hard stuff more often. man up and let it kick your ass a few times until you can return the favor.

Making a good & proper Doom 2 map without Revenants in it.

I'd guess lots of practice makes one a "Doom God", or just watch good players do their thing. I learnt the existence of the "2 shot BFG cyberdemon" trick by watching UV-Max speedrunners for example.

Suitepee said:

Making a good & proper Doom 2 map without Revenants in it.[/B

>Not including one of the best monsters in Doom in your map

mrthejoshmon said:

"Being a self consumed prick with a snooty attitude and a large ego that you enjoy stroking constantly because you are the absolute overlord of all Dooms and there is no question to your authority because you can make a 100000 linedef detail filled .wad with supposedly superior gameplay and speedrun all of Plutonia in one sitting blindfolded whilst being whipped by a dominatrix Baroness of Hell" would sound about right.

This is correct, but you must also beat everyone in deathmatch while having a truly awful attitude the entire time, perhaps by accusing them of cheating or spamming comments like "u r a n00b!!".

Typing that up put a bad taste in my mouth.. HONESTLY if you want to be a great Doomer, keep your gaming varied. Play all sorts of map sets with difficulty levels that are different from one another. As stated, play without saves. Always be swimming through /idgames looking for more, or be online practicing your DM skills when you're not in the middle of an intense SP battle.

I don't have the time to always be Dooming, but when I do have the time, that's pretty much me. Oh also releasing an over-praised mod will solidfy your place as a GOOM DOD.

if you want a challenge, you could try playing ManDoom, essentially the Zdoom engine, but with permadeath and save feature is disabled.

MajorRawne said:

What kind of things do you need to be able to do to become a Doom God?

Grind. Repeat the same thing over and over for hours. The rest (skillz, milestones, conquered hard wads, multiplayer accolades) will come naturally.

UV Max Plutonia, and then, to see if your skills are retained, raid a gun closet and find the nearest school. See how your skills have paid off.

Knowing the map inside and out, on all difficulties and is able to speedrun them all without taking a single percentage of damage.

Clonehunter said:

UV Max Plutonia, and then, to see if your skills are retained, raid a gun closet and find the nearest school. See how your skills have paid off.

Fucking LOL!

Ribbiks said:

I'm going to reinterpret your question as the slightly toned down "how I get good at hard doom maps?". To which I'd answer: play without saves.

This ( + pistol start each map ).

Also, recording demos on both classic IWads and said hard maps is a great way to improve. After some successful attempts on HR2 you won't be afraid of Plutonia's Chaingunners anymore :p

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

This ( + pistol start each map ).

Also, recording demos on both classic IWads and said hard maps is a great way to improve. After some successful attempts on HR2 you won't be afraid of Plutonia's Chaingunners anymore :p

I often feel my best plays are done off the record. I rarely conquer something really remarkable while recording a demo.

40oz said:

I often feel my best plays are done off the record. I rarely conquer something really remarkable while recording a demo.

A: Record everything.
B: When recording, grind more. Much more.

mrthejoshmon said:

I'd say pretty much the opposite of that. Few players who are worthy of being called "Doom Gods" see themselves in that way, and tend to be self-critical rather than boastful. Or at least matter of fact, and just let their demos speak for themselves.

Clonehunter said:

Eric Harris anyone?

eating a whole packet of cream crackers without having anything to drink

Some good ideas here, I particularly like this:

Ribbiks said:

Short version: just play hard stuff more often. man up and let it kick your ass a few times until you can return the favor.

But even then, I have the impression that some here think that playing on the hardest settings will actually make you better, but I don't find it particularly useful. I know this may sound stupid, but maybe concentrating on your weaknesses is going to yield better results. For example, if you have problems dodging Revenant's rockets, you can get better if you play something like MAP20: Bony Encounter, from 1 Monster, instead of trying to beat the first ten maps of TNT on Nightmare Tyson Reality (I'm aware that stated like that it sounds stupid, but I'm generally an idiot when it comes to explain myself properly in English).

I think the Doom gods are the guys that consistently get the best times on a lot of maps, especially hard and well-known ones. They also need to be prolific, so that people know about them, and good times on a lot of demos show their talent and consistency.

It's obvious that you need to practice to get better, but I'd like to add some stuff (although I'm sure this has been posted here before in some form or another):

- Watch demos. See how they move, dodge, shoot, etc.
- Prepare. Half of the effort is planning. So plan tactics, ammo, route, etc. I tend to be lazy with this, but one thing that works great for me is if I save at different parts of the map and then practice just that one part, a lot. So if you finally get past that super hard pistol start, you'll know what to do and won't disappoint yourself 2/3 of the way. Basically, don't just grind, but THINK.
- If you've done a few demos already, watch your old ones and try to see how they could have been improved. As for myself, I'm definitely moving more economically than before although I'm not quite there yet. It's a nice feeling to notice stuff like that, because you know that you're actually improving.
- Be realistic and humble. You may never be at the level of the top guys, but you can damn well try to get as close as possible. If a top player posts a demo that is far quicker than yours, see that as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Have priorities. There are more important things in life than becoming a Doom god - remember that you do this for fun and to challenge yourself. Working hard at something like speed running is a skill set that you can transfer to other parts of your life: motivation, endurance, patience, strategic thinking, reaction time, etc. A lot of these skills also apply to mapping, which also include others such as creativity and 3D design.

yakfak said:

eating a whole packet of cream crackers without having anything to drink

best response.

But even then, I have the impression that some here think that playing on the hardest settings will actually make you better, but I don't find it particularly useful.

Hardest is pointless, but hard is good. You've got to be out of your comfort zone to make any progress.

Phml said:

Hardest is pointless, but hard is good. You've got to be out of your comfort zone to make any progress.

Agreed. Once, I tried playing a Sunder map on -fast for lolz, I couldn't even get out of the starting area. I see there have been runs for map 1 but I'd like to see -fast runs for the other maps.

I played Sunder again today and got my arse kicked. After comparing my playing style to that of the Doom Gods on YouTube, I find my personal weaknesses are impatience - which leads to recklessly aggressive behaviour which always gets me killed - and an almost total inability to dodge fireballs. I tend to get pinned by monsters where Tatsurd can weave through them with ease. I also get caught on scenery.

Recognising your own weaknesses is probably the first step towards becoming a God. Learning to shoot straight or dodge Revenants or fist-fight with Barons is all well and good, but you need to know what you specifically need to be able to do, what will keep you alive or get you through the maps you struggle with.

So in a sense, it's about setting specific goals to eliminate specific weaknesses. In my case, beating Sunder is not about being able to blow an Arch Vile away with a single barrel shotgun, it's about situational awareness, knowledge of the environment and evasion.