Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

Anyone else growl and roar while playing DOOM?

Usually while dying, I have a tendency to vocalize my frustration in a rather monstrous manner. It also often happens when I am just running and gunning down monsters. My family asks where the sounds come from and I am honest with them. Am I insane or does DOOM have a mystical power?

Well i sometimes make weird sounds while playing some specific wads (mostly the ones that are reaaally fun), pretty much like John Romero in "a visit to ID software" video (for example, making sounds about the imp's fireball).

I sometimes vocalise emotion too when playing. But not quite as growly...when I make a kill I usually go wooo or weh hey!

But when dying I do sometimes sigh or go awww. But I almost never grunt or scream unless something particularly cheap happens to me.

The growling happens more for me when ZDoom freezes just as I'm about to dodge something: pisses me off immensely.

i don't make weird growling or whatever when Doom upsets me, instead I cuss a lot, like every twelve words or sumthin.

TimeOfDeath said:

Sometimes I play naked and make female orgasm noises every time I kill a monster.

So THIS is how you got so good?

TimeOfDeath said:

Sometimes I play naked and make female orgasm noises every time I kill a monster.

I do this but every time rather than sometimes.

TimeOfDeath said:

With Doom Marine under your desk? :P

I make ridiculous faces whenever I get hit with something I should have easily dodged, that's about it though.

Sometimes when I lose I scream, shout, curse, grab the chair and jump with it, fist pump the air, and pound the wall. And this is with any game, under different circumstances. In Doom, I basically scream, growl, holler, whatever if I'm getting really far in a difficult level, forget to save, and then die near the end, thus having to start over.

My other Achilles heel is Star Wars Episode I Racer. That can get so bad, I'm lucky I have two defective controllers to smash up into bits.

i mostly just say "fuck" and "ugh" a lot. sometimes i tell monsters to stop getting up in my grill and that they need to stop being so mean.

GreyGhost said:

I tend to talk to myself and swear quietly when things are going badly.

This.

GreyGhost said:

I tend to talk to myself and swear quietly when things are going badly.

Also this

I only tend to make noises if I am trying to record a pacifist demo and the buggers just won't get out of the way (etc.).

The recording session for this demo was probably the worst in that respect. Good job I had the place to myself for that one, though the cats gave me some funny looks.

Pacifist can be uniquely frustrating because a promising attempt can be irrevocably doomed by a really stupid little thing going wrong - things that in other categories would be irrelevant or a minor irritation. Being hit by a cyberdemon missile is fair enough, but having to quit because a zombieman wandered into the wrong pasageway... (the joys of Pacifist were probably summarised best by AdamW's textfile for this demo).

If I'm alone, sometimes, I'll start getting pissed off while speedrunning, and then I often curse at the game. Obviously, this usually happens in tougher recordings, particularly those that require a lot of luck, which are usually crowded Pacifists or UV-Speeds, or hitscanner/revenant/archvile-filled maxes.

i tend to swear silently at anything which does not go how i want it to go... only, i swear in detail so anybody that could somehow hear it knows in detail why i am going banana over it.

36appl0912 said:

Anyone else growl and roar while playing DOOM on the toilet?

FTFY

I tend to speak my thoughts out loud when playing games on my own, as well as joining in with the music like Pirx said. In fact, that applies to pretty much anything whilst I'm on my own. I know they say it's the first sign of madness, but I can't see how spending days at a time on your own is improved by not talking to yourself.

When I play Doom, I tend to start singing Beatles songs in reverse looking for clues that Paul is really dead.

The word "fucking" usually becomes every other word in my case.