Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

Anyone else growl and roar while playing DOOM?

Besides the occasional complaining/swearing/whatever.

When I recorded this demo on 1337.wad, I talked to myself so that I wouldn't screw up. It's a square map with dozens of switches on the walls that release cybers, but a few of the switches activate invisible hom crushers in the playing area that I wanted to avoid pressing. So, I drew the map/switches on paper and numbered them, then when I was recording I would check the paper and say the switch number out loud so that I'd know to press it or not. If I didn't say it out loud, I would sometimes forget what number I was pressing.

GreyGhost said:

I tend to talk to myself and swear quietly when things are going badly.

pretty much this

"WOW. What the fuck?? OK? Seriously? *Sigh* WOOOOOOOW."

- A night of Plutonia

whenever i'm frustrated i tend to curse the game and every monster i happen to kill to get rid of it. it goes so-so.

Sometimes,

(When I'm not cursing, pounding the keyboard, pounding the mouse against the keyboard, pounding the keyboard against the monitor, or raging on the fucking Lost Soul that has joined me on the platform to kill the Icon of Sin.)

I growl back out loud at the wake up sounds of the Baron of Hell or various Zombie men to mock them while playing.

I have a habit of randomly screaming "Paaaaaaaaaaaa" (the Revenant's alert sound) in my dad's ear while he is watching TV :) He ALWAYS gets mad at me for that.

Nah man it's just a game. I might let slip a "d'oh" or a "yowzer!", but it generally doesn't affect my overall mood.

The last time I got into a fist-fight with a Revenant I lost the plot because it kept killing me.

"Come on then you bony sack of ****, I'll kick your ****ing arse and make chopsticks."

Hellbaron said:

I have a habit of randomly screaming "Paaaaaaaaaaaa" (the Revenant's alert sound) in my dad's ear while he is watching TV :) He ALWAYS gets mad at me for that.

When my dad is usually doing the laundry he tells me to meet him a the bottom of the stairs and when I get there he has a basket of laundry with him and he yells "Get Psyched!" while he throws all the dirty laundry at me.

Grazza said:

I only tend to make noises if I am trying to record a pacifist demo and the buggers just won't get out of the way (etc.).

The recording session for this demo was probably the worst in that respect. Good job I had the place to myself for that one, though the cats gave me some funny looks.

Pacifist can be uniquely frustrating because a promising attempt can be irrevocably doomed by a really stupid little thing going wrong - things that in other categories would be irrelevant or a minor irritation. Being hit by a cyberdemon missile is fair enough, but having to quit because a zombieman wandered into the wrong pasageway... (the joys of Pacifist were probably summarised best by AdamW's textfile for this demo).

That was a good read, and good watch of your demo.

I mutter F bombs silently but that's about it.

Hell Revealed II was the last time I ever REALLY got angry playing Doom.

According to the AGDQ vid, I look angry with intense expressions when I play doom.

I don't growl but I do curse under my breath when I die. Usually it's a quiet, gentle "fuck", but sometimes when I get killed in a cheap way (like being lolblocked by a sudden locked door or fast-rising pillar) or killed in a jumpscare like fashion (every Ninja Pirate death in Hideous Destructor) it's just "fucker".

However, if it's a monster that has a habit of killing me over and over in a certain part of a level I'll pick them out, often taking them out with the chainsaw. Sometimes with god mode on and noclip, if it's a bigger monster. After that I load the game back to the last save and play normally.

I sometimes start talking as if i was recording a let's play video, even though I never really recorded anything.

In all seriousness, when I get really frustrated, I'll often say something quietly like "Fuck you, you fucking cheating sack of shit!" even if I'm talking to an AI enemy that is completely incapable of cheating..

If things start going south, I'll shout, swear, and proceed to talk to myself in a rant over every-fucking-thing in the map.

But I don't turn into Manimal, no.

So this is it. I just reached some kind of nirvana. I was attempting a speedrun and I was roaring, screaming and slamming my keyboard so much that I kind of spent all my rage points and now there is nothing left. I don't care about anything anymore, just no more rage left inside.

When it comes to large maps and i get killed i slam the desk with my fist and yell NO!!!!
The second time, slam the desk and yell three times Damnit!
The third and last i slam the desk once again and i grunt ARGH!!!!
And that's it.
And it is really frustating for me to die.

Memfis said:

So this is it. I just reached some kind of nirvana. I was attempting a speedrun and I was roaring, screaming and slamming my keyboard so much that I kind of spent all my rage points and now there is nothing left. I don't care about anything anymore, just no more rage left inside.

Hahahah... It's rare, but on some certain occasions, the same thing happens to me. Usually afterward I'm like "Wait a sec... What the hell am I doing..." and I somehow get embarrassed even though it's just me.

When I'm frustrated in general at silly shit like a game, I usually come off with imitations of hilarious frustration/anger lines from movies, like in Training Day when Denzel gets shot in the ass and he goes "Aahhhhhhhhhh you MOTHAFUCKA!" or just about any scene with Benicio del Toro in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. His grunts, growls, screams etc all through that movie, especially in the bathtub scene, are gold for just about any situation.

I wish those were my natural reactions when I was legitimately mad or frustrated at important shit.

Whenever I finish a level that was really difficult, but it's not limited to DooM, also when I level up in Skyrim it's irresistible to not do a "UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" when you hear a whole bunch of other men doing it!

I wish I could get angry playing Doom again, those were the days... mostly I'll just get indifferent now and be "not feeling it", and quit.