Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #12

It's time for another FDC! This time you'll be playing a 4 map wad by Eternal. You can choose to record one demo for all maps (a movie) or to record a separate pistol start demo for each map. These are considered to be the same category so the second option is really just for people who like to take risks. :)

But we have separate categories too: you can play on the 3rd (Hurt me Plenty) or on the 4th skill (Ultra Violence). Don't be shy to choose a lower skill if you aren't very confident in your abilities.

The wad is vanilla-compatible so you can use the original EXE, Chocolate Doom, PrBoom-plus with -complevel 2 or any other port that is able to record doom2.exe-compatible demos.

Estimated date of the contest is May 3, 17:00 MSK (that's 13:00 UTC). We may change it depending on the feedback so please tell us what time would be more convenient for you.

If you aren't familiar with FDC, you can read the rules here - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/56004-first-try-demo-contest-7/

Oh, and if you're planning to participate, please tell us so that we can know the estimated number of players and how hot the competition will be. ;)

Umm, it's a little discouraging to announce a contest and not get any replies at all. Can people PLEASE tell us if they are interested in participating? It would also help with choosing a date: if we get enough interested players quickly, we might start the contest sooner (maybe this weekend).

I'm interested but I don't know yet, working on other demo atm. Although I might throw a filler in any case. This weekend would be perfect for me.

Edit: Heh, yeah should read properly. Well, I'm in then :P

Uh, in case you forgot, in FDC you record just a FDA so it will probably take 30-90 minutes max. :)

as always I'd take part, even tho I'm inactive for months now, but this time I cannot.
I'm on a 24h/24 larp event from the 1st may to the 4th included. I should be home in the late sunday or late afternoon, but probably with just a couple hours sleep in 3 days on my back
in case the day is confirmed, I'll record anyway a demo, so i'd be happy if nobody do "spoiler posts" in here ;)

That would be 3pm here in South Africa, apparently. I've never done it, so it would be nice to give it a shot. Consider me in unless something unexpected happens.

Thanks for the responses (to Zahid too :-), now that's what I'm talking about!

btw we had a little discussion with Eternal, he said that the maps aren't that hard and it would be a little silly to play them on HMP. So it's UV for everyone!

Just remembered my boss is gonna be on vacation next week, I might not be able to get out of work. Its important that everyone is available during the contests start time right? Else you get disqualified? I really wanna get in on this so I'll see if I can pull some strings.

Never_Again said:

That would be 10am on Tuesday in New York. Good time, bad day. Monday would be better, Wednesday better still.

May 3rd is Saturday.

So I'm posting to remind that the contest will start in 23 hours and 40 minutes from this post but I wonder if it will really happen because I haven't heard from Eternal in a while and I don't have the wad yet. o,o
edit: ok, Eternal found, no worries =)

Good morning people! :D Yeah sorry, I just woke up 5 minutes ago... Gonna post the passworded archive now and then prepare the bat files... The contest begins in 20 minutes!

START!

Password: sanction

After you're done, upload your demo in a zip here: http://fdc.iddqd.ru/ (please make sure your demo can be identified, don't name it just "fdc12" or something)

Duh, I expected something harder and played like a coward. And now I feel dumb, cause it could've been faster by half.

Lol I died once. :D

Probably didn't help that I was sleeping until about 3 minutes before the hour. Made some double espresso but I think the effects kicked in too late. Oh well, it was fun. :)

No, I didn't forget, because I had no idea. I see you edited it into the OP, which I didn't read, because all of the other info was in the last post. Now I'm pissed off.

EDIT: Please delete my entry, it's worthless this way.

Man, I can't FDA fast at all. Almost maxkills in every map... Also forgot to zip the file and I uploaded as a .lmp. Is it a problem?

@Memfis below: Ahh cool, didn't catch that.

dew: I did edit OP in the past but the info about 4 maps has been there from the very beginning, I assure you of this. Sorry that you missed it, I should have put in in bold letters perhaps (and remind about it today). :(

Veinen: it's no problem, don't worry. "Uploaded .lmp files will be automatically zipped"

Yea I probably missed it or forgot or my brain didn't parse the info from the OP. Oh well, maybe next time.