Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burktross

Classic Style Mapping: Am I doing it right?

Recently, I've been trying to get down pat the design style of John Romero and other e1 maps, because in my opinion, they were the best maps of Doom.

Though my wad uses Final Doom: Plutonia resouces, slopes and 3d bridges, and is in the UDMF format, I've tried my best to make this (still incomplete) map having the playstyle of a Vanilla Doom map.

Am I doing this right?
http://www.gamefront.com/files/24196695/gauntlet.zip

I'd say yes, it's a great oldschool-styled map. I felt it like classic and could enjoy it even with a bit too cramped space and some amount of pistol gameplay. Today's maps usually try to avoid these for the sake of maximum comfort, but for what you're trying to achieve, it's really good.

Even though it's a work in progress, next time please post maps that contain an exit, and post them in Wads&Mods subforum. My issues with the map were: a certain inescapable place in a south-western part, and a room full of frigging-awful STEALTH imps, in one of the last rooms at the north. Inescapable pits are an objective design fault, and stealth monsters are annoying for most people. You may also consider giving less damage to the NUKAGE floor, commonly accepted is the lowest 2-5% damage value. Such a minor thing. Be sure, I see lots of good in your piece of work.

Cool map, I've enjoyed it a lot, it was a pleasant surprise from you. Keep it up! :)

[i]scifista42 said:Even though it's a work in progress, next time please post maps that contain an exit

I was wonderin' why I couldn't find the exit.

TendaMonsta said:

I was wonderin' why I couldn't find the exit.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to showcase a WIP wad as much as see if I'm properly emulating the E1 map layouts.

scifista42 said:

My issues with the map were: a certain inescapable place in a south-western part, and a room full of frigging-awful STEALTH imps, in one of the last rooms at the north.

Gotta love all those stealth imps in Episode 1.