Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Release - The Wailing Horde

It's time for another episode 2 level from me. It sort of looks like episode 2, but is more my version of it. This level is pretty big, has lots of monsters on UV and is very non-linear. I loved making this level and for my standards, it's been built in a really short time.

The level has been tested with numerous sourceports and if you can bear to look at a couple of VPOs, then I might even go so far and say it's vanilla compatible. Plums at least did a good job helping me make it more vanilla compatible.

I got the permission to use Jimmys music and it's really awesome! Besides that, there's a new sky made by me and a couple of minor edits.

I hope you enjoy playing it, and please feel free to post a demo if you like. Comments are of course more than welcome! :)

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom/Ports/v-z/wailhord.zip

Chris Hansen said:

if you can bear to look at a couple of VPOs, then I might even go so far and say it's vanilla compatible

Well, by definition you can't look at a VPO, 'cause then the game crashes :) But yes, I did manage to get through this with vanilla/Chocolate, saving often. Only two real VPO hotspots that that I found, the end is full of HOM though.

It's a great map, hopefully some people check it out!

plums said:

Well, by definition you can't look at a VPO, 'cause then the game crashes :)

Hehe! Right, of course! :)

I wish I had the ability to make such good use of real estate in the editor like Chris does here... it is very dense with content! Might try speedrunning this next week ;-)

I meant to say, I played the map after you sent me a version, Chris. Really cool visuals and layout - a great level of detail without it being overbearing or movement-impairing, and I got just the right amount of lost. :P Great stuff.

Thanks for the praise guys! I'm super thrilled over the reception this level has gotten so far!

Vorpal said:

Might try speedrunning this next week ;-)

Hehe! Nice. Bring it on!

Jimmy said:

...and I got just the right amount of lost. :P Great stuff.

Excellent, hehe! I've heard that from someone else as well. I guess I succeeded with my plan of making it an exploration style level... as well as a lot of other things :)

I love the frantic, multi-directional combat. You're constantly attacked from unexpected directions. Watch out for those Lost Souls!

The map looks fantastic with just the right amount of detail. Classic oldschool all the way with a heavy emphasis on exploration and cool secret-hunting. Combine that with a high monster count and this was a blast from beginning to end.

FDA for you. No deaths, 7/8 secrets, kinda slow and casual. Mostly things go smoothly, although I look dumb trying/failing to get all fancy-pantsy near the yellow key, and one particular lost soul trolls me pretty good at one point. I don't get lost, at least, but I'm usually pretty good about that outside of maps where everything looks interchangeable.

I did like it, as well, although I was surprised it didn't play more roughly with me (not much in the way of those renowned C. Hansen close-quarters barons). So, I certainly wouldn't say it's hard (although one's success with secret-hunting probably has a lot to do with that), but one does need to pay attention to avoid repeated injury--often it seems like it's not the monster in the room with you that's the danger, but rather the one shooting at you from the next room over or the like....so prioritizing targets is a little more important than it often is in maps for the original DooM. I felt the best bit was the large number of monsters that are released into various parts of the complex at or around the same time the red key becomes available; seemed like that might've gotten to be dangerous if I hadn't chanced to wander haplessly into a very chokepoint-y part of the level when they all decided to come for me. I'd have liked to see a bit more rocket ammo and probably some heavier cacodemon-spam in the final battle, and there really are an excess of bullets (I like the relative scarcity of shells, though), but for the most part it was well-balanced, unsurprising as that's always been one of your strong suits.

Enjoyable 'classic' experience that avoids the main pitfall of maps in the style (read: paltry combat) by virtue of its somewhat chaotic layout and willingness to periodically release waves of monsters into previously-cleared areas. Good work, again, not that that's surprising.

Cool map, really like how unpredictable and transformative it is. I spent a lot of it on low health but only died once or twice. Nice ammo ballance too, although by the time I figured out the BFG secret I only had one shot with it. Also I like that even though its pretty complex I didn't find myself having to use automap much, each area is very visually distinct and easy to get to.

jolly good

Excellent map, loved the way it changes and surprises you all the time. The weapon and item "teases" are also great. Flows extremely well for a non linear map. I don't know what else to say other than keep up the good work!

Demon of the Well said:

...I'd have liked to see a bit more rocket ammo and probably some heavier cacodemon-spam in the final battle, and there really are an excess of bullets (I like the relative scarcity of shells, though), but for the most part it was well-balanced, unsurprising as that's always been one of your strong suits.

Thanks for the demo! Just finished watching it and it was very enjoyable! It's an excellent first try, but also shows the pros and cons of choosing which way to go. Ohh, and of course you're constantly overstocked on bullets as you punch your way through most of the level! ;)

And thanks for all the above positive comments from you guys! It's great to see that you are enjoying the level!

FDA : here

Wow, great map. :)
The layout is complex but never confusing, and gameplay-wise this is a perfect example of a relatively hard Ultimate Doom map.
Visuals are cool too, with nice lighting variation.

Excellent work. My only complain would be that there could have been more shells ( instead of bullets which seemed to be plentiful everywhere ), but it's not so bad, as you're never out of ammo anyway.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
My only complain would be that there could have been more shells ( instead of bullets which seemed to be plentiful everywhere ), but it's not so bad, as you're never out of ammo anyway.

I was going to say that I liked how ammo balance makes you use all weapons, instead of drowning you in shells like most Doom maps. But then I thought it was a Ultimate-Doom-lack-of-super-shotgun thing, but now, seeing that players still want more shells, hm, well, I prefer maps that balance all ammo types, like this.

Very very impressive for a single map, let alone an ultimate doom one.
Really digged the layout and gameplay, and I also saw some great creativity using the old and loveable stock texture. well done.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
FDA : here

Thanks for the demo! Just finished watching it. Your play style seems to be very similar to my own. You're cool most of the time, though a couple of frantic moves reveals a bit of panic or doubt at times. But you're on top of things and prevail expertly! :) Your path through the level and the choices you made were similar to Dotw's, only you used more weaponery and handed out less knuckle sandwiches :)

Again, thanks for all the praise guys! It's so good to see people enjoying the level after all the effort I put into it!

Played through it. Took me 38 minutes on UV. Got a few secrets too. The keys were very cleverly placed, took me long time to figure out how to get the yellow key but finally I figured out you have to jump down to get it. There were hordes of monsters and they were cleverly placed. Difficulty was pretty high for me. Overall I enjoyed the playthrough. Awesome map.