Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

As we all know, there are a TON of Doom-like old games out there. I'd like to get a comprehensive list going. This isn't limited to games that use the actual Doom engine, just something similar. Anything that looks kinda-sorta Doomy.

I'm sure there are a lot of obscure titles out there, forgotten by most, that are just waiting to be found and enjoyed again. For the sake of clarity, lets keep this limited to games from 1999 or earlier.

(Thanks to cybdmn for the list!)

Marathon Engine:

Damage Incorporated
Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity
Prime Target
ZPC

Build Engine:

Blood
Corridor 8: Galactic Wars (Just an alpha version leaked)
Duke Nukem 3D
Extreme PaintBrawl
Fate (Just a demo was released)
Ken-Build (Ken Silvermans testgame)
Liquidator
Nam/Napalm
Powerslave/Exhumed
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Deer Huntin'
Rock'n'Shaolin: Legend of the Seven Paladins
Shadow Warrior
William Shatner's TekWar
Wichaven
Witchaven II: Blood Vengeance
WWII GI
Quest For Al-Qa'eda: The Hunt for Bin Laden
Quest For Hussein
Plunder & Pillage

Wolfenstein 3D:

Wolfenstein 3-D
Spear of Destiny
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Blake Stone: Planet Strike!
Corridor 7: Alien Invasion
Operation Body Count
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Super Noah's Ark 3D

Jedi Engine:

Dark Forces
Outlaws

XnGine:

An Elder Scrolls Legend - Battlespire
The Elder Scrolls Adventures - Redguard
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall
The Terminator: Future Shock
The Terminator: Skynet
XCar: Experimental Racing

SlaveDriver:

Powerslave/Exhumed/西暦1999 ファラオの復活 (PSX & Saturn)
Duke Nukem 3D (Saturn)
Quake (Saturn)

Southpaw:

Doom II: Hell on Earth (Game Boy Advance)
Duke Nukem Advance (Game Boy Advance)
Ice Nine (Game Boy Advance)

Spoiler

(old list)
Sorted by platform - If you see any mistakes, please tell me!

:DOS GAMES:
- Alien Trilogy
- Alpha Storm
- Blake Stone
- Blood
- Chasm: The Rift
- Chexquest
- Corridor 13
- Corridor 7: Alien Invasion
- Corporation/Cyber-Cop
- Cyberdillo
- Cybermage
- CyClones
- Dark Forces
- Depth Dwellers
- Descent / Descent II
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Eradicator
- Extreme Paintbrawl
- Faceball 2000
- Hacx
- Heretic
- Hexen
- H.U.R.L.
- Isle of Dead
- Jurassic Park
- Ken's Labyrinth
- Legend of the Seven Paladins
- Marathon / Marathon 2
- Marathon Infinity
- Necrodome
- Nitemare 3D
- Normality
- Operation Bodycount
- Outlaws
- PowerSlave (AKA Exhumed)
- Redneck Rampage
- Rise of the Triad
- Shadow Warrior
- Strife
- Star Wars: Dark Forces
- Terminator: Future Shock
- Terminator Rampage
- Terminator: SkyNET
- Virtuoso
- William Shatner's Tekwar
- Witchaven

[RPG Type Stuff]
- Amulets & Armor
- Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
- Elderscrolls Arena
- Daggerfall (Elderscrolls 2)
- System Shock
- Ultima Underworld I / II

:PC GAMES (Will not run under DOS):
- Cybermage
- Exploding Lips
- Jungle Legend
- Killing Time
- Realms of the Haunting

:AMIGA GAMES:
- Alien Breed 3D
- Aquakon
- Behind The Iron Gate
- Breathless
- Citadel
- Death Mask
- Fears
- Genetic Species
- Gloom
- Monstrum
- Nemac IV
- Project Battlefield
- Project Intercalaris
- Testament
- Ubek

:CONSOLE GAMES:
- BackTrack (GBA)
- Bloodshot (Genesis/Mega Drive)
- Dark Arena (GBA)
- Disruptor (Playstation)
- Jurassic Park [Some segments are Wolf3D-ish] (SNES)
- PO'ed (Playstation)
- Powerslave (Playstation Version)
- Super Noah's Ark 3D (Super Nintendo)

I know there are thousands more out there. If another similar list exists I'd love to be pointed to it!

Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Heretic
Hexen
Strife
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Outlaws
Redneck Rampage
William Shatner's Tekwar
Witchaven
PowerSlave (AKA Exhumed)
Chexquest
PO'ed (Playstation)

Do Wolf3D clones that released near-to or after Doom count?
Blake Stone
Corridor 13
Operation Bodycount
Rise of the Triad

I'm sure the regulars here can name far more.

Doom II
Doom III
Doom IV (coming soon)
Final Doom
Ultimate Doom
Rage
Quake
Quake II
Quake III
Quake IV

I don't think the OP was asking for a list of FPSs in general. Doom 3, Rage, and Quake aren't quite the same thing. I'd venture that we're looking for Doom generation 2.5D shooters specifically.

Nomad said:

I don't think the OP was asking for a list of FPSs in general. Doom 3, Rage, and Quake aren't quite the same thing. I'd venture that we're looking for Doom generation 2.5D shooters specifically.

He really wasn't clear. He should specify what exactly qualifies as Doom-like.
All first person games?
All shooters?
All games with a deathmatch mode?
All hell themed games?
All 2.5d games?
All games with a shareware episode?
Or any particular combination of those?

If you think Arena and Daggerfall are close enough to be Doom clones (nevermind that Arena's engine is an improved Wolf clone, while Daggerfall's engine is a true polygonal 3D engine with nigh-limitless outdoors), then any other first person action RPG of the era qualifies too, like both Ultima Underworld titles.

Everyone should have played Ultima Underworld II at least once in their life, by the way. One of the best CRPGs ever made.

If you want Amiga titles, then look here for a bunch of them.

Corporation/Cyber-Cop is a similar game...although it pre dates Doom. It's more like Deus Ex though....

Noah's Ark 3D is another clone.

Since when is any old fake 3D engine based game a 'doom-like' game ?

The only connection i see between doom and the elder scrolls :
a 2.5D style renderer...

for the rest the elder scrolls had slopes, pits, mountains, and RPG based gameplay which does not seem close to doom in any way.

Take note :
this is not an attack or flame, but a serious question with no side intentions. (can never make sure.)

FireFish said:

a 2.5D style renderer...

TES1: Arena was the only PC Elder Scrolls title with a 2.5D renderer. Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Online all use fully 3D polygonal engines.

Daggerfall used sprites for enemies and many decorative items, but it was for performance reasons on the hardware of the era. It has fully 3D models too. In fact it was even planned to have a polygonal dragon creature, which was cut out by lack of time though some traces of it have been found in the resource files. The same engine was reused in Redguard which used polygonal models for characters; as well as in non-TES games like Terminator: Future Shock and SkyNET.

Nomad said:

Yes, this is what I was asking for. Rage certainly doesn't fit the bill, or else you might as well say Borderlands and COD, which wouldn't really be helpful for the list. We all know what AAA titles came out in the last year or two.. I'm looking for stuff that's so old it's fresh again.

I'm basically asking for any DOS/Amiga era first person games. When I say 'Doom like' I'm talking mainly about appearances, and gameplay to a certain degree. Heavy use of sprites and a 2.5D or similar render. (Daggerfall is obviously more Doom-like than Skyrim, for example, despite not actually being 2.5D. It has that DOS charm, although it is pretty far out from the rest of the list.)

I'll set a date limit of 1999, just for the sake of clarity.

It's an open ended question, so thank you for all of the responses. I love looking through old FPS games, I find many of them to be really interesting. You can often have Doom as the benchmark, and see if they just wanted to try and leech by being "the same thing with different sprites" or if they really go out and try something fairly new and exciting, like they did with Duke Nukem.

I'll update the OP list now :)

Terminator Rampage is another one, it came out in 93.

I just remembered it and went to look it up to see if I remembered right, I did and it is pretty Doomy.

FireFish said:

a 2.5D style renderer.

Daggerfall is not 2.5D, it was initially developed with a 2.5D engine but was dropped in favor of XnGine which is a truly 3D engine.

Just played Blood, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage all for the first time - Each one is VERY Doomy, some leaning further towards Duke and some leaning towards Wolf, but that's exactly what I was looking for :)

I'm really loving Shadow Warrior especially, it's awesome. Thanks for the suggestions, I plan on trying all of these at some point!

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance (1997) is one of the stranger clones out there, its adventure and battlefield game modes are both played on Doom maps and you have the option of real-time or turn-based play when adventuring.

A few more for the list are Corridor 7: Alien Invasion (Wolf3D clone from 1994), CyClones (1995) which was developed by Raven Software, and let's not forget Hacx (1997).

There's a video of AVGN playing a Jurassic themed FPS in one of his videos on youtube.
Oh, and Doom shareware.

@Thread peeps: If you have to ask "what is doom-like" you probably need not participate. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be 2.5D, but there's a certain feel or aesthetic that most of these games have in common, that I'd think would be fairly obvious to the regulars here.

@Doomkid: Can probably throw Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, and Marathon Infinity on there, and the first System Shock.

Chasm: The Rift (1997)

For the Amiga, you can add Death Mask and Testament, then we start getting into more obscure titles which are mostly Polish - Aquakon, Ubek, Monster (Monstrum), Project Battlefield and Project Intercalaris (all 1995 to 1997).

Then, definitely every Build engine game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_engine

And Dark Forces is obviously inspired by Doom too. Although not using the Build engine, it has some similarities to it. Especially the 2.5d portal renderer. It uses some 3D models for some enemies etc. and 3D bridges (not to be confused with overlapping sectors, which are also possible and indeed utilized a lot). But the vast majority of the enemies are still sprite based. The level design is quite interesting and due to the lack of savegames, a somewhat different experience. Thanks to the always fair design, the lack of savegames is no big deal. This is still my favorite Star Wars game.

Outlaws, also by LucasArts, uses the same engine, and added high resolution (what was considered high at the time anyway), sloped sectors and vertical portals (aka. stacked sectors).

If you are into adventure games, you should also take a look at Normality. It is a first person 2.5d game with sprite characters and items, and a pop-up interface (aka. pie menu).
Not to be confused to what is typically considered a 2.5d adventure game nowadays.

Cybermage. Oh yeah, and it's PC.