Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ty Halderman

Archive cleanup

Just a note or two before it's lost in the morass of "Terrywads suck" "No they don't" arguments (which really should be split into its own thread IMO--this is an extension of my original "going to email for verification" conversation, not the politics forum on Fark)

The themes/terrywads directory is not hidden. Themes is where TeamTNT's releases are--I don't think I would have wanted them hidden! This is actually exactly the purpose of the themes structure; to gather wads of a certain type together without concern for having to have filename standards to identify them.

DoomWorld's index shows all the rest of the themes so no reason these wouldn't still be listed there, although that's DoomWorld's decision, unrelated to mine. One of these days people are going to realize it's two different things, but that seems to elude many.

New uploads will be visible in Newstuff as long as anyone else's uploads.

Now I'm off to move a bunch of existing Terrywads into the theme directory, and reject ones that are still there with all the bogus padding stuff.

Just a thought - How about adding doomguy2000 wads to themes/terrywads?

j4rio said:

Eh, they're not inherently malicious like Terrywads are, so I'd probably leave them. I'm pretty sure he's uploaded duplicates of single maps found in his larger wads though, which might be worth looking into.

And Imback55? Terrywad authors lost their right to complain when they spammed Doomworld with inane bullshit and broke the rules of the IdGames Archive. They don't like their punishment? Too bad.

Obsidian said:

Eh, they're not inherently malicious like Terrywads are, so I'd probably leave them.

I was just reminded since, you know, guess who this imback dude is?
Rename /terrywads to /trollwads and you're good to go.

j4rio said:

That would not make sense, because Doomguy 2000's WADs don't have terry traps. They are best described as jokewads, not terrywads.

Actually, it does make a lot of sense. A simple change of theme not involving assrape can then keep on potentially spamming archive without being filtered out. Some prevention against loopholes might be necessary.

Thanks Ty for taking yet another bullet for the team. Sad that this needs to be done, but I for one am happy to see you working on it.

Again, for all you do and all you have done. Thanks. Great job.

Who else would have stuck with doing this for free for all these years for the good of the community?

UACMN2 - i wonder if this is a terrywad or just a plain jokewad than targets terrywads. also the highest rated wad in that directory now afaik.

of course what do i know. it could have been terry accounts giving it 5s. lol.

there are some good things about the wad such as the weapon shop interface.

I forgot to mention another wad that could be moved to themes/terrywads.
Maw of Doom!

Obsidian said:

Caustic Laboratory is another one that needs to be relocated, although this one has more effort put into it than the others. Such a waste.

Or it could be removed from the archives since it has a script that screws up your Zandronum config file.

SOH and MOD have now been moved to terrywads.

I don't see VOE as being a terrywad. It's a trick wad, but that's not what the terrywads directory is for. They're specific to the group that's doing those and have specific characteristics.

Still discussing Caustic Laboratory. A question I raised was whether or not this was original, or a Terry add-on to someone else's large, detailed, new graphics etc. map. It would be trivial to steal a map and terry-fy it with a couple of resources and a script, but I don't know enough about the details of all the wads out there to be able to recognize it. Perhaps someone reading this thread can advise.

Ty Halderman said:

SOH and MOD have now been moved to terrywads.

I don't see VOE as being a terrywad. It's a trick wad, but that's not what the terrywads directory is for. They're specific to the group that's doing those and have specific characteristics.

Still discussing Caustic Laboratory. A question I raised was whether or not this was original, or a Terry add-on to someone else's large, detailed, new graphics etc. map. It would be trivial to steal a map and terry-fy it with a couple of resources and a script, but I don't know enough about the details of all the wads out there to be able to recognize it. Perhaps someone reading this thread can advise.

VOE is made by Terry himself, and somehow that doesn't count?
As for Caustic Laboratory, according to the author it was patchworked together out of 6 different levels he had made for a now-cancelled UACMN2 project.

While things are being moved around on the archives, would it be too much to ask that a few misfiled Heretic .WADs in the Doom directory be put in their proper place? These are the ones I found when comparing some of my shovelware collections against the archive to find out if there were any "lost" .WADs. There may be others.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/a-c/castle01.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/a-c/crazy2.zip

I also had DIETRYIN.WAD marked but it looks like that was already moved.

Could elaborate on why you're not interested in putting these in /x-rated/?

personally I'd consider themes/40ozwads/ to be an honor, especially if my maps were intentionally garbage. We can all live without this stuff landing a berating newstuff review too. I'm all for being more strict about rejecting stuff with needless repeating or large lumps, but I find trickwads like terrys to be in remotely the same category as an otherwise normal doom level with unorthodox sexually explicit graphics like what most of what (I've played in) /x-rated/ is.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

While things are being moved around on the archives, would it be too much to ask that a few misfiled Heretic .WADs in the Doom directory be put in their proper place? These are the ones I found when comparing some of my shovelware collections against the archive to find out if there were any "lost" .WADs. There may be others.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/a-c/castle01.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/a-c/crazy2.zip

I also had DIETRYIN.WAD marked but it looks like that was already moved.

Moved these two. Obviously they've been in the wrong place for a long time, and in defense of the archivist at the time there's nothing in the castle01 text file to say what game it's for (and whoever that is now didn't notice it in crazy2 *cough*).

Unfortunate that id used the same ExMx nomenclature for Heretic as Doom 1. We did have several Heretic wads that were moved over the weekend: azure, castle2, castle9, dietryin, haretick, nuts. Feel free to let me know if you find more.

Linkrulezall said:

VOE is made by Terry himself, and somehow that doesn't count?
As for Caustic Laboratory, according to the author it was patchworked together out of 6 different levels he had made for a now-cancelled UACMN2 project.

VOE: Sure, I've been so obsessed with looking through wads for other things that I didn't read the text file (duh). Moved.

Caustic Laboratory has been rejected for malicious intent, and if the author wishes to reupload without the console commands to screw up (Zandronum) configs, I'll accept it back in.

Good feedback, thanks.

40oz said:

Could elaborate on why you're not interested in putting these in /x-rated/?

...I find trickwads like terrys to be in remotely the same category as an otherwise normal doom level with unorthodox sexually explicit graphics like what most of what (I've played in) /x-rated/ is.

Fine line, granted. I think I'm explicit (heh) enough in the .message file for the terrywads folder that anyone downloading from there has the opportunity to understand what's going on. The thing about x-rated is, it was created to handle graphics that were considered adult, not just some text on the screen. I think people can handle text, but when something is graphically represented unexpectedly, and it's some kid playing it, we have a responsibility to shovel it into a different pit, which (in the case of x-rated) was created before I took over 15 years ago. I have rarely even had to use that, but this isn't, to me, the same thing.

The mechanics of the x-rated area are different too, in that those files only go to x-rated and are not seen in newstuff at all (different commands are used). I can understand people not wanting terrywads to show up in newstuff either, but that's the balance I've struck for this issue, which hopefully will soon quiet down.

I agree. Creating themes/terrywads should not be seen as "giving bad wads more attention", but more like tagging them "download at your own risk". Including them in themes/x-rated is not a good idea because they aren't graphically explicit, and if I'm not mistaken, some of them don't have sex-related stuff. Maybe we can look at this category (/terrywads) the same way we see Post Hell in here: we (well, the mods) move the bad stuff there, but don't delete it so aspiring (serious) mappers can see what not to do if they intend to release something, for example.

Besides, there is some genuinely good stuff in x-rated to let it be contaminated by terrywads.

Oh, and thanks for the hard work Ty.

EDIT: Clarity.

Bloodshedder found this in the latest uploads. I'd probably recommend getting rid of this as well, as it just seems to be some Terrywadder's way to bitch about how they've been treated. Also the textfile's larger than the wad: heh.

Obsidian said:

Bloodshedder found this in the latest uploads. I'd probably recommend getting rid of this as well, as it just seems to be some Terrywadder's way to bitch about how they've been treated. Also the textfile's larger than the wad: heh.

mntret has been rejected. I'm not going to reject ipeitw because of text file statements. It's stupid but if anything it sounds anti-Terry:

This wad has more effort put in it than Terrywads

wasn't there one terrywad that just launched an incredibly slow stepping spiral beneath the player's feet and stopped them moving? I sorta admired that one as a diverting joke and don't remember it containing threats of sexual violence or whatever

Good, delete trash and put the other trash in a directory so people know it's trash.

At least the mixing of good and malicious won't happen no more.

Ty Halderman said:

I'm not going to reject ipeitw because of text file statements. It's stupid but if anything it sounds anti-Terry:

It's not anti-Terry, it's that one guy who got banned a few days ago being an idiot. There's a swarm of 5-star ratings on it to testify that: very similar to what they used to do with Terrywads to draw people in. It's not a wad, it's a pointless argument waiting to happen.