Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #12

Aww, I also missed the fact that there are 4 maps. Too late now I guess. So you can omit my entry as well. Next time I'll be more attentive. :)

Edit: Just saying thanks for the trouble, I hope there will be another one soon, this is great fun. :)

Yea these maps were easier than expected. Still died once, within the first two minutes of the first map no less... Got lost a bit in the third and ran out of all ammo at the very end so I had to play a little slower at the start of the fourth. In any case, this was fun and I'll definitely be back next time if I can.

Final time 25:39 with continuous playing.

Edit: It's actually 26:50 when you consider the death...

~43 minutes and some change, continuous playing, no deaths.

Honestly, I was expecting this to be harder. I was really only in danger in the first map when I was hovering around 30+ health for a fair portion of it.

I guess the last enemy in the fourth map could have been fatal if it didn't decide to bum rush me.

The contest is over! Here are the results:

Download the archive with all demos and additional info.
Congratulations to the winners and big thanks to everyone for participation and especially to Eternal for the wad provided!

And I want to apologize again to dew and Kotzugi for not reminding about the fact that there are four levels in the wad. Sorry and I hope it won't discourage you from participating in the future contests. We'll try to present information more clear next time!

I thought if you die in a movie attempt -> map01 :P
So I went for a pistol start each map for safety, but I guess there's no point since you can restart the map anyways, heh.
Failed map03 so didn't send demo, map01 was 4:33 and map02 7:57.

That would be pretty hardcore to start from MAP01 every time you die!
It seems like there are always some misconceptions about FDC, I probably should write a detailed document explaining every little detail sometime.
Your times for the first 2 maps look pretty good, especially considering pistol start on map02. You could post the demos if you want. :)

Argh I couldn't make it back home on time for this, sorry :/
Better luck next time then.

Still gonna try these new Eternal maps. :)

Memfis said:

The contest is over! Here are the results:

Grats on 1st place.

Memfis said:

And I want to apologize again to dew and Kotzugi for not reminding about the fact that there are four levels in the wad. Sorry and I hope it won't discourage you from participating in the future contests. We'll try to present information more clear next time!

As for myself, thanks, however this has been my first time participating, I simply didn't read what has been stated right at the beginning. My bad.

If I may ask, is this only once or twice a year or so? (seeing that this is only #12) I was wondering if more people (especially mappers, but maybe also someone who could stand in for you as organizer) could get involved so this could be done on a more regular basis. At the same time, this could be viewed as a sort of fun, informal "beta testing" of new maps (i.e. if somebody happens to spot something while FDAing, they can report on it).

Kotzugi said:

Grats on 1st place.

As for myself, thanks, however this has been my first time participating, I simply didn't read what has been stated right at the beginning. My bad.

If I may ask, is this only once or twice a year or so? (seeing that this is only #12) I was wondering if more people (especially mappers, but maybe also someone who could stand in for you as organizer) could get involved so this could be done on a more regular basis. At the same time, this could be viewed as a sort of fun, informal "beta testing" of new maps (i.e. if somebody happens to spot something while FDAing, they can report on it).

I'm already making new map for FDC #13.

I'm sorry, there was a error in my calculations: raritetum's total time was wrong. I fixed it now, so Chaingunner went up by one position. Thanks to Plut for noticing this.

Kotzugi: Apparently FDC #1 was in April 2007, you do the math. :) I guess the main reason for this is, as Plut says, the lack of high quality maps that would be appropriate for this type of playing. So if someone wants to offer a map, you're always very welcome!

Kotzugi said:

At the same time, this could be viewed as a sort of fun, informal "beta testing" of new maps (i.e. if somebody happens to spot something while FDAing, they can report on it).

We see this a bit differently: FDC maps are supposed to be already nearly perfectly playtested. If during the contest someone gets stuck due to some error, it will be a disaster for him. You can guess that Shadowman was pretty pissed when he couldn't continue due to the intercepts overflow bug. That wasn't a problem with the map though but from now on we will always remind people to turn off the emulation of that bug.

But yeah, it's not like only Russians can organise such contests, anyone can. :) You just need a good map, preferably at least one dedicated tester and a person willing to spend some hours on organising all this. I would be very glad to see more people organising stuff like this because it's very exciting hehe.

Memfis said:

Thanks to Plut for noticing this.

Not me, raritetum himself, I just wrote about it.

Archi said:

I'm already making new map for FDC #13.

Slaughter :(.

Memfis said:

We see this a bit differently: FDC maps are supposed to be already nearly perfectly playtested. If during the contest someone gets stuck due to some error, it will be a disaster for him.

Point taken.

Memfis said:

You just need a good map, preferably at least one dedicated tester and a person willing to spend some hours on organising all this. I would be very glad to see more people organising stuff like this because it's very exciting hehe.

I suppose the mapper as well as the testers have to keep it secret as well until after the contest. Still, many new WAD threads of "final" versions have lots of bugs discovered by the community. It would seem that a secret map set tested by only a few players is even more likely to have serious bugs than one which has been played by a lot more people. I guess there are ways to minimize the risks, like only accept maps from experienced mappers and so on.

PS I'm thinking out loud, but feel free to comment, affirm, etc. :)

Kotzugi said:

I guess there are ways to minimize the risks, like only accept maps from experienced mappers and so on.

Well, in RDC FDC always needed only one tester and all competitions went without any bugs. I think bugs in some wads are caused only by mappers carelessness or not very good testing.
And of course bad maps will be rejected by testers. Overall, we haven't yet met with low-grade maps in the contest.

Plut said:

Well, in RDC FDC always needed only one tester and all competitions went without any bugs.

Actually in FDC #6 Hamsterheart had to stop playing because he broke some vanilla bridge and was blocked by an invisible wall. Or so he says at least, I haven't seen that demo.

returned home now, but going bed asap now, terribly tired
will try it tmrw

edit: wow cant double post anylonger here in forums?

okay i uploaded too now, gave a try before dinner
finished in 35:01 0 deaths
I guess there's a significant improvemente in my awful gameplay through the demo lol... I havent played doom for couple months now, so even movement and aiming in map4 looked much better for me at least. Could had been 10min faster i bet lol ;)

Just watched the winner demo and I'm amazed at how easily you find secrets. As a result, I'm amazed that you weren't low on health for a single second :)

Yeah, the secrets sure were useful this time. All these generously placed soulspheres and armor things allowed me to play quite aggressively without worrying about anything. It felt pretty cool. :)

By the way, we already have another wad for FDC so it should happen very soon. Estimated date is May 18, 14:00 UTC. I'll make a thread in a day or two after we talk with the author a bit more.

And blob, sorry but I don't have the access to uploaded files anymore so can you please try to attach your demo again? :)

Memfis said:

By the way, we already have another wad for FDC so it should happen very soon. Estimated date is May 18, 14:00 UTC. I'll make a thread in a day or two after we talk with the author a bit more.

Yes :))

Memfis said:

Yeah, the secrets sure were useful this time. All these generously placed soulspheres and armor things allowed me to play quite aggressively without worrying about anything. It felt pretty cool. :)

And blob, sorry but I don't have the access to uploaded files anymore so can you please try to attach your demo again? :)

oh i didnt read your post. I will for sure:)
also, made some rapid exits for map1-3-4, but missed a secret on level2.

ps: lol just in time, I had deleted the fdc already... recovered it from the recycle bin :p

fdc12 and maxes.zip

41:23 0 deaths if anyone cares (did outside of contest so doesn't qualify for anything and I predictably sucked anyway so won't even post the demo)