Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Do you find the game creepier when using the '-nomonsters' parameter?

It depends. There are some maps (e.g., The Talosian Incident MAP01 and NDCP2 MAP19 come to mind) which rely on few monsters or no monsters at all in order to create suspense, but honestly, I think that just works with maps designed with that in mind.

RUSH said:

Relevant

If 20 doors open at once at an unexpected place, it'll make a very loud noise, and with no monsters it can be considered a jumpscare.

No.

If I have used the -nomonsters parameter, it's usually just because I'm testing something or want to run around the level and quickly explore without enemies getting in the way. So, no, I know there is no threat because that's exactly why I used the parameter. Certain knowledge of no threat = no creepy.

Enjay said:

No.

If I have used the -nomonsters parameter, it's usually just because I'm testing something or want to run around the level and quickly explore without enemies getting in the way. So, no, I know there is no threat because that's exactly why I used the parameter. Certain knowledge of no threat = no creepy.

This. I don't have anything to add. Just that I find it obvious.

Enjay said:

I can relate to this.

Fahim@_@ has some point though. When there is -nomonsters parameter it's obvious you won't get attacked, but I remember playing E1M6 in Ultimate Freedoom normally (no parameters). The map featured no monsters as it was unfinished, but I didn't know that so I was constantly in fear that eventually I will get jumped. I would have preferred it if there were monsters from the beginning. It would have been less creepy.

Apart from -nomonsters, there is also -skill 0, which will give a player spawn yet nothing else in vanilla and some ports

Absolutely, yes.

I regularely wish I could just release all my upcoming maps without monsters and ammo and health stuff in them. The maps become way more atmospheric without all that shit

IMO it isn't creepy, but Doom maps do tend to feel very empty without monsters. Particularly when there are other things in the map and it's clear that there should be monsters.

Of course, deliberately making a map that either hides the monsters away for a while or simply has none at all can be a relatively tense atmosphere if the player feels like something is coming.

Darkwave often plays with that gimmick of having you go through a(n almost) empty part of a map, only to port in the baddies all of a sudden. His SoD maps are eerie and beautiful, so yeah, it's a bit creepy.

No monsters at all? Heck no, especially not on the maps that have upbeat music. I don't find the D64 or PSX music particularly creepy, all my ears pick up are slow grumbling noises with little hints of almost-music, which are cool because it gives the illusion that there are monsters nearby.

Generally, that kind of stuff is not that creepy to me any more. Doom 64 probably would have scared me when I was a child though, and Doom 3 was okay with the jump scares, the first 2 or 3 times, at least.. It got predictable fast, but it was still fun, so not a big deal. The cherubs were pretty eerie too.

A really dark map, with textures I can't name off by heart, atmospheric music, and monsters that are spaced out well to give the illusion of emptiness, coupled with the threat of dying at any moment from what lurks in the shadows? That's definitely a lot closer to creepy, and I find Doom's aged graphics can actually add to that due to it's abstract nature. I remember playing a small mapset that was grayscale + red, and very other worldly in it's design, a lot of moving sectors and modified monster SFX. That was really atmospheric, and since it was late at night, I was on the edge of my seat for the first time in a LONG time with a old-ish Doom wad. It was so damn fun for that reason, I wish I could make maps that evoke emotion like that.

If by chance anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love a link to it. It's on /idgames and I've voted on it in the past, but the name totally eludes me. If you're looking for something creepy-ish, it'l hit the spot. I should have saved the damn thing.

(Oh, and those creepy pasta things are fucking hilarious because they're so ridiculous. And yeah.. Creepy pasta is a retarded name. In an alternate universe it'd be called Scary Pizza or Eerie Lasagna or some shit.)

I'd say it's creepier when maps don't have any music instead. Most prominent example for me would be MAP02 of Slaughterfest 2013, which incidentally, starts out with only about 20 monsters in and out of buildings around this huge circle of a map.

It's quite something, running around that level, facing only a handful of zombies and the odd mid-tier monster, yet the lack of music tells you something just isn't quite right.

"Ha? Slaughtermap? My ass, this is the easiest thing I've ever...oh."

Wouldn't it be a cool idea for a mod which is similar to -nomonsters but has a single randomized monster (or even a Ghoul's Forest monster for source ports) presented in a possible monster placement. That'll make big maps like E2M4, MAP13 and MAP27 creepier for every playthrough.

It would be more scary if there was only one monster randomly placed in the map and the player has no way of protecting himself. The exit is placed at a random place in the map and the single monster is hunting you down while you try to escape from the map.

RTC_Marine said:

Apart from -nomonsters, there is also -skill 0, which will give a player spawn yet nothing else in vanilla and some ports

It's possible to complete (at least) doom2 maps 01, 07, 11, 14, 16 and 31 in skill 0 (without any cheats and co-op).

No.

The only time I've found classic Doom remotely creepy was that PSX Doom-esque map on DMP2013 I played recently.

On darker maps without music. I actually find maps that have very few monsters, of the powerful kinds, more creepy than a map without any monsters at all.

Patrol1985 said:

Fahim@_@ has some point though. When there is -nomonsters parameter it's obvious you won't get attacked, but I remember playing E1M6 in Ultimate Freedoom normally (no parameters). The map featured no monsters as it was unfinished, but I didn't know that so I was constantly in fear that eventually I will get jumped. I would have preferred it if there were monsters from the beginning. It would have been less creepy.

Sadly, that would quickly be dispelled by ports, because of their stupid Quake-like display of remaining monsters/items/secrets on the HUD. I've always considered that "feature" as spoiling the game.

Aliens TC intentionally had no monsters on its first level. It is not until part way though the second level that aliens start to appear.

printz said:

Sadly, that would quickly be dispelled by ports, because of their stupid Quake-like display of remaining monsters/items/secrets on the HUD. I've always considered that "feature" as spoiling the game.

In a ZDoom map at least, knowing there are 0 monsters in the level right now does not mean you're safe. Monsters can be spawned at any moment for any reason.

printz said:

I kind of really agree, but on the other hand I do appreciate knowing beforehand of what's in store when booting up a new map.... It's like a separate first-impression ?:)

printz said:

I've always considered that "feature" as spoiling the game.

Yep, that's why I never use K\I\S HUDs in casual playing (only in speedruns sometimes).

In some joke map I actually put a bunch of imps outside of the playing area to trick the player into thinking that there will be normal gameplay.