Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Theory: Doomguy is a cyborg.

Hi, it's me, Fahim, from Bangladesh. Today I'm going to share a theory of mine. I believe that 'Doomguy' is not a 'full-human'; he is a robot, or at least a cyborg.
Now you're probably gonna ask why did I say that. Well, I have many points to support my theory. Let's take a look at the first two games (Doom and Doom II).
Hmm, let's start from the beginng, point by point:-
1. Doomguy can run very first, but CAN NOT jump.
2. He can sustain many rounds of bullet and fire attacks that are capable of killing any normal human within 2 hits.
3. Doomguy can carry many heavy weapons without slowing down a bit.
4. He can survive in pits of lava and slime for quite a while.
5. His fist is capable of killing any enemy with a few strikes.
6. He never speaks.
7. Unlike his comrades, he wasn't possessed.
8. In E1M8, monsters weren't able to kill him, he just fainted.
9. He can fall down from high places without taking any damage.
Well, this were the general points. But the main point is, he doesn't act like a human! Let's take a look at the MAP30: Icon of Sin boss battle. You had to fire the rockets while the piller was rising. If it was fully risen, the rockets would hit the place above the brain. But a sane human would simply lower the aim a bit, so it would hit the brain instead of going straight.
So, I have come to the conclusion - Doomguy is a cyborg. He does what he was programmed to do. He is unable to do anything outside of that.
Maybe he was actually a human once, but his brain and body was modified for some reason; that's why he can still bleed and feel emotions, but also acts like a machine at times.
Well, thank you for reading. Any comments would be appreciated.

Written by-
A.K.M Fahim Shahriar Khan,
Shyampur Sugar Mills High School, Grade 8, Shyampur, Rangpur, Bangladesh.

Makes sense to me.

Fahim@_@ said:

a sane human would simply lower the aim a bit, so it would hit the brain instead of going straight. He does what he was programmed to do. He is unable to do anything outside of that.

UAC has the budget to unleash hell on earth, but can't make a robot which can look up or down.

In gameplay mechanics, he and everything else are robots, and that applies to every other video game, but that's usually not the story presentation.

However:

Fahim@_@ said:

Doomguy is a cyborg. He does what he was programmed to do. He is unable to do anything outside of that.
Maybe he was actually a human once, but his brain and body was modified for some reason; that's why he can still bleed and feel emotions, but also acts like a machine at times.

This description fits the Marathon player character perfectly, even in the story. Although I don't know how many emotions he really feels if he can just go around killing BOBs without even flinching.

So you say that Duke nukem, caleb, BJ, The playable characters from GTA, and many other characters are also cyborgs? That's pretty stupid I don't wanna die in 2 hits, be unable survive in lava, walk slower as weaponary goes, get limited weaponary to pick up, oh wait, it's COD.

Doomguy is in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden he looks down and sees a mancubus. It's shambling toward him. He reaches towards it and he pushes the mancubus over on its back. The mancubus lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without Doomguy's help. But he's not helping. Why?

dew said:

He reaches towards it and he pushes the mancubus over on its back. The mancubus lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over,

That's a good tactic to kill a cubus like this, good thinking, some one should do a picture of that since it sounds hilarious for me.

Well, he's either a cyborg or....

What kind of sand? Does Doomguy have boots on? How hot is the sun?

The cyborg theory makes sense. Doomguy is so fast, tough and good because he is mechanically enhanced. His brain is also a computer. Remotely controlled by an entity known as the player, who directs all Doomguy's actions using a control terminal, such as the PC or the console.

EDITED

dew said:

Doomguy is in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden he looks down and sees a mancubus. It's shambling toward him. He reaches towards it and he pushes the mancubus over on its back. The mancubus lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without Doomguy's help. But he's not helping. Why?

This is the 2nd reference I've seen to Blade Runner on Doomworld today. I should watch it again, it's been a while.

Theory: Doomguy doesn't exist [/obvious trolling]

Fahim@_@ said:

Written by-
A.K.M Fahim Shahriar Khan,
Shyampur Sugar Mills High School, Grade 8, Shyampur, Rangpur, Bangladesh.

Well this is going in the doom wiki for sure.

Well, to those who are getting it confused with the gameplay mechanics - I'm talking about the games' storyline, not about the engine, nor about the 4th wall.

Maes said:

Theory: Doomguy doesn't exist [/obvious trolling]

What if the Doomguy didn't exist?
(Oh wait we cant make those threads anymore!)

I'd like to see a Doomguy HUD mod where half of his face is robotic, like a Terminator look. This thread is actually a pretty decent potential WAD idea. Although, I thought DG was simply described as "hardened and ready for combat." Maybe he's hardened (uh huhuhuh, hard..) because he's partially steel?

Doomkid92 said:

I'd like to see a Doomguy HUD mod where half of his face is robotic, like a Terminator look.

I like the idea, but like when his health goes down, his face turns more robotic.

Doomkid92 said:

I'd like to see a Doomguy HUD mod where half of his face is robotic, like a Terminator look.

There's a wad like this, it's called 'base invaders'

Fahim@_@ said:

Well, to those who are getting it confused with the gameplay mechanics - I'm talking about the games' storyline, not about the engine, nor about the 4th wall.

Back then game mechanics like those weren't made with consistency in mind though, raw gameplay was far more vital.

Hence why I think "He can survive multiple shots, therefore he's a cyborg" is a stretch, the reason he can survive multiple shots is because if he couldn't, the game wouldn't be fun, story/consistency is just a quickly latched onto part of games like that.

Doominator2 said:

So he's a handicap on a rocket powered wheel chair?

Read the story.

I can't believe no one has brought up the possibility of nanotrites. These tiny machines can flow through your blood stream and assist with healing, infection fighting, hormone production, virus stopping, etc.

joe-ilya said:

There's a wad like this, it's called 'base invaders'

Sounds cool, I guess I need to play it! (And Hacx subsequently)

printz said:

Yet another Doomguy appeasing thread. Sigh.

Honestly, his ego is getting a bit out of control.

Well, why doesn't the Doomguy get possessed? This has always bugged the hell outta me. In all incarnations of the game, virtually everybody on the base eventually succumbs to possession/mutation except for the Doomguy. It especially bothered me when, in the backstory of the original game, it's outright stated that anyone going through the teleporters either goes insane or dies. It became a big sticking point for me as a kid - I was like, wait, holy crap, shouldn't I be risking death every time I teleport?

Being a cyborg doesn't even explain it. There are plenty of demons with cybernetic implants - cyborg-demons, if you will (fail music).

One thing I've wondered - what if the Doomguy wasn't immune to the teleporters? What if they have driven him insane? Through the intro levels of the game, you fight mostly former humans - it isn't until you teleport to Deimos that you begin to see the truly demonic stuff. Heh, now that'd make an interesting twist - seeing the Doomguy taking on a demonic horde, but then you start to see bits and flashes of the truth - that what he's really doing is mowing down UAC troops brought in to try to contain the situation. And now I've just turned Doom into a remake of Jacob's Ladder.