Find results in...
Patrol1985

Gamespot article - "Three lessons today's shooters can learn from Doom"

tl;dr:

1. VARIED BUT READABLE ENEMIES
2. A HIGH SKILL CEILING
3. LEVEL DESIGN IS KING

All-caps theirs.

also needs something like: don't make a new FPS if it doesn't actually pioneer anything in particular. There are so many me-too! games in this discipline because it's the surest way to get Game of the Year status that it's just glutted with repetition of ideas established in Doom, Quake, System Shock and Half-Life... Doom brought in some clever arcade-y ideas, one of the most satisfying weapon sets ever collected and some settings that hadn't really been tackled in 3D before. I doubt you could look at every FPS since and pinpoint an advancement in gameplay it heralded.

Market dictates what's getting done. As long as people buy "me too!" games, developers will continue to write them.

The majority of the user comments under the article represent the typical idiotic mindset of FPS players today. No wonder everyone loves Call of Duty... What a joke.

Stupid random comment poster said:

Playing through it again with the Brutal Doom mod and NC Hud mod.
I'm not usually big into modding, but not only may Brutal Doom be the best mod ever created, I think it was the way the designers intended Doom to be from the start.

And that's why brutal doom Sux! lol

Doominator2 said:

And that's why brutal doom Sux! lol

Why is that stupid nVidia slogan tainting my thought process right now? Urrgh!!

You shouldn't have pointed me to the comments section... now I'm pissed as I can't believe some people write stuff like this:

this bullshit ... doom was not a good game, just the first of its kind ... map layout was caotic, enemy Variation was Zero, graphics burned your eyes, controls non existent ..

I mean.... WTF?! Literally EVERY claim he made is immense bullshit!

What do you expect? Typical pea-brain who grew up on modern games and is overwhelmed by something that forces him to THINK.

Also a clear indicator why so many games are clones of each other. These people do not want variety. They want more of the same and more of the same and even willing to spend premium $$$ on it.

No wonder the games industry is in such bad shape with such customers as the yardstick.

Guest Unregistered account

Hmmm...

*Looks at previous two posts on thread*

Sigh...

*init_singing*

"IIIIIIIII AAAAAAAAAAMMMM!!"

*D major*

"A TWEEEEEEEELVE YEAR OOOOOOLLD!!"

...Who plays Doom.

My guess is that those people in the comments are just bullshitting Doom to get a quick laugh outta our anger.

I never understood the humor in trolling.

It's shit humor.

blood was a vastly superior game to doom

Doom wasn't the first and I don't agree that it was genre defining. [...] Sure it was fun at the time but honestly? It hasn't aged well. It wasn't until Quake was released with true 3D environments that the world really began to sit up and take notice.

I still think doom had some of the coolest monsters ever in an fps game. Especially when you look at it from back then.

I liked the map layouts and there are a more varied, plethora of enemies in DOOM than all the Battlefield and COD games combined. And the controls were flawless for that game!

And it's 10 times as good as Wolfenstein.

Maybe the younger gamers don't appreciate it cos they were brought up on COD or whatever and can't see past the graphics and simplicity, but for me, DOOM is WAY more fun than any other FPS.

There IS intelligent life here!

[B still think doom had some of the coolest monsters ever in an fps game. Especially when you look at it from back then them from behind[/B]

FTFY <3