Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

/idgames

Okay, I'm not sure who to contact, but /idgames is being spammed like crazy at the moment. They're going through file by file and spamming like fuck. I just wanted to draw a mods attention to this to hopefully nip it in the bud... They're going nuts.

They claim that Anonymous will take down Doomworld on June 18th - fucking lol, what a loser.

EDIT: When the problem is resolved, please delete this. I just wanted to let anyone with some power to stop it know it's happening.

I proposed a few months back:

Suggestion: remove the ability to post reviews anonymously, and we ban the accounts of those that make troll or spam reviews.

This really is necessary.

BTW: This is a different moron from the "terry"-crowd.

Won't that make honest people reluctant to post their honest opinions? No one likes to offend others and have their name (or nickname) permanently associated with that.

Also how do you know whether "total garbage" is troll comment or honest frustration of wasted time?

Anyway, viewers shouldn't trust reviews. People are possibly dumb and their standards may not match with downloader's.

Yeah, I imagine it's a tough call. It's nice to be able to vote anonymously, but then you have this kind of abuse. Although the spam wave seems to have stopped, and they were rating everything 3 stars anyway, so it probably improved some file scores.. lol.

I don't know what their goal is here, but they failed at it.

printz said:

Anyway, viewers shouldn't trust reviews. People are possibly dumb and their standards may not match with downloader's.

Heh, that disclaimer should be on the front page. There a quite a few times I've downloaded a 1 star map and been pleasantly surprised.

This is to funny, so a mythical hacker group which might not even exist the way we tend to think they do would bring down doomworld. Anybody writing that is definitely not aware of how childish and stupid such trolls are.

:)

Yeah, I'm positive that's just a hollow threat. By "take down Doomworld" they probably mean posting more easily removable spam. Still, it'd be nice to know their IP is banned.

God, is this the 47943256th l33t pr0 haxx0r "threat" Doomworld/id database has had since 2002?
I bet it's some butthurt Terry troll twat who is really had his jimmies russled since Ty went about sorting out and removing/re-labbeling Terry WADs.
Simply ignore him/her, and rely on people who have played it to tell you if it's worth downloading.

make it so you have to login to comment but can choose to hide your nickname so only admins can see it?

That IN NAME OF FATHER SON HOLYSPIRIT / CONDEMN TO LAKE OF FIRE AND SULFUR guy is funny, I just hope he's not a legit psycho.

Maybe a good idea would be a maximum of 10 reviews a day from non-registered users? That way, spam like this would be far easier to remove in the future, but anonymous users can still voice their opinions?

make it so you have to login to comment but can choose to hide your nickname so only admins can see it?

Sounds ideal to me.

Memfis said:

Very good idea!

I also like Grazza's idea and I'm sure Memfis' idea would be used by many. But I guess Bloodshedder would have done something like that by now if he wanted to, because I think it's him who deletes the spam anyway.

Memfis said:

I was thinking something similar, though I still think the nicknames should be hidden from admins -- IPs only. In all seriousness, I wouldn't entirely put it past an admin to throw a bitch fest and nuke someone because they criticized his personal / friend's / whatever wad. Even at that, I'm sure admins can figure out who's who just by comparing forum names with IPs.

TimeOfDeath said:

That IN NAME OF FATHER SON HOLYSPIRIT / CONDEMN TO LAKE OF FIRE AND SULFUR guy is funny, I just hope he's not a legit psycho.

Now you got me thinking of Mattbratt11: that kid took idiocy to a whole new level.

TimeOfDeath said:

That's Carlos, author of the CDoom port who got upset when one of his uploads got rejected.

Doominator2 said:

quick call the Internet army, and take down those armed spammers with anti spam guns!

Grab a bucket and mop.

printz said:

Won't that make honest people reluctant to post their honest opinions?

Make it clear that logging in is a spam prevention measure and I expect most would understand. It's that or CAPTCHA - which I hate.