Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Twitch to Be Acquired by YouTube

This is the problem with big business, they buy up all competition and in turn force their dogma even harder on the market. That's the real tragedy, YouTube will further push it's copyright bullshit, not so much they are eliminating diversity in the market.

Can't wait to have to sign in to Google+ to participate in twitch stream chat. :P

Google / youtube is getting way out of hand, they control everything most mediocre internet users would ever see... and they censor that.

Youtube did not modernize but 'degrade' with the worst updates imaginable... so the twitch people should think twice if this is an actual and true possibility, and not internet rumor nr. 5 billion.

do they want a monopoly ? then they better be prepared for lawsuits and a crack down on them by everything and anything...

plums said:

Can't wait to have to sign in to Google+ to participate in twitch stream chat. :P

Heh. I have a twitch account in some fashion or another; I certainly hope it doesn't automatically turn into a stupid Google+ account or some horseshit. As for the legal stuff, remember that Twitch has survived reasonably well with its current legal policy -- not that I particularly know what it is, since I barely use Twitch at all. :P I'm not entirely convinced that Google will simply change up all of the legal stuff simply for Standard Operating Procedure practices, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Also: Holy shit, so much raging about a buyout. The owners of Twitch sold their company / product / service / whatever of their own volition. Holy shit.

BlueFeena said:

Also: Holy shit, so much raging about a buyout. The owners of Twitch sold their company / product / service / whatever of their own volition. Holy shit.

Yes, it was their right, doesn't mean we can't protest it. Many of us are sick and tired of big business mergers in general, see Comcast and Time Warner for example. The government should be stopping these for competition's sake, not allowing the companies to do as they please and dominate the entire market.

Sodaholic said:

Yes, it was their right, doesn't mean we can't protest it. Many of us are sick and tired of big business mergers in general, see Comcast and Time Warner for example.

I'm remarkably sick and tired of listening to people groan about big business doing business things when said people complaining about big business practically live off of big business products. Bonus points if you can repeat that three times fast. Also, Time Warner and Comcast are run by a bunch of libs. The government is currently run by a bunch of libs. It's all libs getting what they want. ;)

Sodaholic said:

The government should be stopping these for competition's sake,

No, the government should not. I'd feel much safer as a consumer if the government would just GTFO for once; whether said companies are run by libs or otherwise (see above.)

Sodaholic said:

not allowing the companies to do as they please and dominate the entire market.

But you just said it was their right in the first place to be bought and sold. :|

For fuck sakes, Google is taking over everything. This is getting ridiculous already...

Wonder how Rockstar feels about this, since they own a lot of Twitch. I think Valve or someone from Valve owns a lot of Twitch.

Hmm... Still not confirmed by Twitch, and I can't find too many news sources on this yet. If this is true, the effects that this purchase could have on Twitch are likely to be more negative (though some positive things could result from Google's large amount of cash going to Twitch).

Personally, I don't use Twitch a whole lot, though.

BlueFeena said:

I'm remarkably sick and tired of listening to people groan about big business doing business things

Well, you're gonna have to put up with it. It's a serious political issue and merits much discussion, and moves like these are not just benign "business things." No, they're open attacks on the free market and the American people.

BlueFeena said:

when said people complaining about big business practically live off of big business products.

Only because we don't have a choice because they kill/consume all competition. They do harmful things and don't listen to anybody, and then they take away our choice to use alternatives. Don't you get it? The fat cats OWN this country, because they bought the government.

At the very least, please, please try not to be suckered by them into thinking that this is all okay and that you're not worth better. The public is very worthy of having a proper economy and not getting screwed over. If you're a member of the general public and not the 1%, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by supporting asinine self-loathing political positions like these. Hell, if you're this ignorant on these matters, I bet you support the Citizens United decision and the awful notion that "money is speech." Well, if money is speech, and some people have disproportionately higher amounts of it, then that means that speech is not equal. Equal and free speech is an important founding principal, and the subversion of it is fucking sickening.

BlueFeena said:

Also, Time Warner and Comcast are run by a bunch of libs. The government is currently run by a bunch of libs. It's all libs getting what they want. ;)

Okay, now you're just spouting fallacies. "Liberalism" and its many perscribed meanings have nothing to do with it. This is about the destruction of the free market for the gain of those already at the top, hardly liberal by anyone's definition. Quit drinking the Fox News kool-aid. And yes, you heard me right. I'm a progressive and yet I defend the free market. Why? Because as a westerner, I believe properly managed capitalism is a good thing.

However, a truly free market requires cops on the beat to ensure that new and small businesses have a fair shot at becoming successful. Done right, this does not bog any businesses down and allows consumers to pick the best of many options than to settle for the only gig in town, which in turn keeps many companies serving their customers the very best they can, because in such a competitive market, they may not survive if they half-ass their service. And you said it yourself, you don't want Google to ruin the Twitch service for you. Well guess what? If we had some goddamn proper regulation in the US, they wouldn't be allowed to ruin it even if Twitch wanted the money from Google. They'd be forced to instead get revenue by providing a service that people like instead of relying on big-daddy Google for extra cash.

Big business is getting extremely lazy and complacent, looking for easy cash with minimal effort. For example, most ISPs haven't upgraded their infrastructure for decades, and then they overcharge for this crap, and even throttle traffic they don't like and give you arbitrary data caps. When they tell you that you get a certain speed and they throttle your traffic anyway, you're not getting what you paid for. They've seen and jumped through the window of opportunity to do that, we need to close those avenues now.

Government getting in the way of defacto world domination? No problem! Just corrupt it from the inside to do your bidding via bribes! Competition getting in the way? No problem! Either buy 'em or sic the obedient government on 'em with some bullshit excuse! Customers complaining of poor service and high prices? No problem! We're the only gig in town and we've corrupted the government to not listen, they can't do a damn thing about it!

The current chairman of the FCC, Tom Wheeler, is a former lobbyist for the cable industry, and now he's doing them favors by killing what little remains of net neutrality.

BlueFeena said:

No, the government should not. I'd feel much safer as a consumer if the government would just GTFO for once; whether said companies are run by libs or otherwise (see above.)

Hah! You feel safer when you have less choices? "Oh, jeez, this one service sucks and they're not listening to their customers, I'll just mozy over to their competi...oh, wait."

You're naive if you, as a consumer, are fully in favor of the wolves' predatory behavior. Please, get the wool out of your eyes.

BlueFeena said:

But you just said it was their right in the first place to be bought and sold. :|

I only said that as a matter of fact, but I certainly don't think it should be this way. I meant "right" in how it's considered by the power establishment, I personally don't think they have a right to if it's for purposes of market domination.

If you and any others truly think that this direction is what is right for the country, then I'm highly concerned. We NEED regulation to keep quality of life high so that we can compete with the rest of the world, lest we be left behind. And we already have been left behind in many respects, go look at some charts of how far back America is in education, health, science, employment opportunity. This is all because of the stupid attitude of economic anarchism that has come to be in recent times. Tell me, mister laissez-faire, how you expect the American people to compete with global society when we don't have good health, the means to provide for ourselves, good education, and good internet connection.

If this keeps up, we'll be living in a comparitiavely shithole shanty-town, all as countries like Canada and Germany as a whole are doing great and don't want our products and services because they have far, far better. It's already happening too! FDA regulations are so lax the EU doesn't even want our chemical laden apples, among many other examples. Even China might surpass us, because even if their country is more hellish, at least they produce shit the rest of the world wants.

America NEEDS to be truly equal. Anything less is unamerican. Fuck the 1% and their need to dominate if it means our demise, regardless of their continued prosperity after such a crash.

EDIT: Removing needless insults

Wasn't it illegal to have a monopoly many moons ago in America's history? They've thrown that one out the window, eh?

Also, defending big business/fat cats because we "all buy their goods"? Yeah, if other alternatives were availible, I'm sure many people would take them. With your shitty-ass $5 minimum wage, most people can't exactly afford anything other that what is the absolute cheapest. I'm with Sodaholic on this one.

ROFL @ blaming the liberals. Yeah, conservatives/republicans are well known for defending the little man ;) Hahahah.... What a joke. The Bush administration are responsible for the U.S. being a global laughing stock among many other things.

I'm glad I got the fuck out of that nutty shithole. Sad thing is, Bony Faggot (Australia's PM) has his head so far up America's ass, we can't tell where Bushbama ends and he begins. He's far worse than Obama, in fact. He's raising the pensioner age, removing free healthcare (the most fucking retarded move possible, fuck ANYONE who disagrees, you don't know jack shit), denied us a modernised internet over fiberoptic cable rather than copper wire designed for telepgraphs.. and is actively trying to remove any form of government assitance for students and youths, so isntead of having an educated population, it will only be availible for the VERY well-to-do. America is in shambles, and if Tony gets his way, Australia will be really soon too. Steal from the poor, give to the rich. That's his policy in a nutshell. Sounds awfully familiar.

Excuse me for the rant, but I was just blown away by the sheer genius of "blaming the liberals".

Anyway.. Back to the point, looking forward to Glitch+ being incorporated into Twitch! I just love having poorly programmed garbage instead of neat and easy user interfaces, don't you?

My God, Sodaholic. Nice rebuttal.

Anyway... I want to avoid Google, because they're becoming terrible, but I can't. I just can't. It's getting everywhere, isn't it?

Damn.

I mean, YouTube is nice, but I've heard it used to be better. That's what keeps me within Google's grasp, that and the search engine as well as Google Translate and their browser and other useful free services. But I do agree it could be better, I mean, why stop where they are, and why fuck their customers over by tracking them and invading their privacy, removing options and the like?

Don't give a shit about their G+ network, though.

Bloodshedder said:

Remind me again why we unbanned you?

Because I said I would contribute and not be an ass. I did step over the line there with the insults, and I'm sorry. I amended my post to remove them, as vehemently as I disagreed with his positions, it was no excuse. I'll try emptying the unreviewed /newstuff review cache instead of getting into pointless political arguments (if I'm still around after this). I've got absurd amounts of free time, I should make constructive use of it.

Bloodshedder said:

I am already aware that this particular Twitch/Google deal is only in talks and nothing's happened yet. The points I was making earlier were more about mergers in general. And more specific to this story, I'm also upset that they're even considering it, I view these mergers as a poison. They shouldn't be doing them, let alone trying to.

Doomkid92 said:

I'm glad I got the fuck out of that nutty shithole. [then stuff about Australia]

Were you born in the US, or simply lived here at some later point in your life? And do you live in Australia given that you talked about it on length?

At the very least, I want to leave Ohio, but if I'm going to leave the US altogether, Australia is sounding like a bad idea for the time being. Canada may be a better choice for me. If I stay in the US, I might try for Pittsburgh or Washington state.

I was born and raised in Florida, left in 2009. I have family here, so it was the obvious choice for me and my folks, though I've since moved out and now live with my fiancee. Things have been great until Abbott was elected a few months ago, since then he's already worked wonders (as in, he's trying to screw us over entirely.)

RUSH said:

For fuck sakes, Google is taking over everything. This is getting ridiculous already...

And it's just going to get worst.
I have no doubts about that.

A few words for the people saying small buissness needs to be protected against big business...

Businesses only compete because they have to, not because they want to. If small business is shielded from big business then this won't make the smaller businesses compete more so they can improve their products or services. What it will do, is destroying all incentives to actually compete. If a buissness knows that the government has it's back, then it is not going to bother improving itself. This is one of the reasons for why I don't listen to any of this populist "small buissness needs to be protected against big buissness" bullshit. It does nothing to make the market more competitive, it does the exact the opposite. It destroyes the incentives to compete by artifically shielding buissness from competition.

Sodaholic said:

Well, you're gonna have to put up with it. It's a serious political issue and merits much discussion, and moves like these are not just benign "business things." No, they're open attacks on the free market and the American people.

Actually, you were having a nice circle jerk before I came along. Feel free to review all of the posts before mine.

Sodaholic said:

Only because we don't have a choice because they kill/consume all competition. They do harmful things and don't listen to anybody, and then they take away our choice to use alternatives. Don't you get it? The fat cats OWN this country, because they bought the government.

Really? I have no choices? I chose to come here to Doomworld, probably via Google search -- as opposed to [insert search engine here], I use the computer and peripheral equipment that I like, I wear the clothes like, actively choose to use my cell phone as a paper weight, and actively enjoy both Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi do not have a gun pointed at my head demanding that I use their products -- there's already a billion cola knock offs out their I could happily use if I chose to do so.

Sodaholic said:

The public is very worthy of having a proper economy and not getting screwed over.

I believe the same thing, which is why I've vehemently voted against Democrats since the age of 18. :)

Sodaholic said:

Hell, if you're this ignorant on these matters, I bet you support the Citizens United decision and the awful notion that "money is speech." Well, if money is speech, and some people have disproportionately higher amounts of it, then that means that speech is not equal. Equal and free speech is an important founding principal, and the subversion of it is fucking sickening.

Oh, I absolutely do support it. Like me -- who actually works, heh -- you have the same rights as I do to put your money where you believe it belongs. If that's a Democrat, so be it.

Sodaholic said:

Okay, now you're just spouting fallacies. "Liberalism" and its many perscribed meanings have nothing to do with it. This is about the destruction of the free market for the gain of those already at the top, hardly liberal by anyone's definition.

It has everything to do it. You see, these are your guys we're talking about here. These are the progressives man. They're your guys! They're the ones who run Microsoft, Google, Time Warner, and Comcast. They generously donate to Democrats like clock work, as an article written by your guys kindly pointed out a few years back. But hey, don't take my word for it, feel free to have a look at Time Warner, which has overwhelmingly supported Democrats in one way or another, and Comcast which is about the closest thing that can be be described as split down the middle with a Democrat lean. A cursory look at the recipients shows that at least one or more the Republicans on the list are complete squishies and might as well put a D next to their names (Boehnor, McConnel.)

Sodaholic said:

Quit drinking the Fox News kool-aid. And yes, you heard me right. I'm a progressive and yet I defend the free market. Why? Because as a westerner, I believe properly managed capitalism is a good thing.

I haven't had cable tv for years, but I do listen to Rush Limbaugh. :) And no, you actually don't defend the free market. You want a free market that's Obama Approved (tm).

Sodaholic said:

However, a truly free market requires cops on the beat to ensure that new and small businesses have a fair shot at becoming successful. Done right, this does not bog any businesses down and allows consumers to pick the best of many options than to settle for the only gig in town, which in turn keeps many companies serving their customers the very best they can, because in such a competitive market, they may not survive if they half-ass their service.

I live between two areas. The wealthier, more liberal of the two, by far has fewer mom and pop places and is pretty much dominated by large name chains. The poorer, more conservative area has very few large chains but plenty of small owned shops. Ironically, I get far more choices in the area with the large chains -- if I want painting supplies in the liberal area, go to Michaels. I can get them cheaply there. Michaels doesn't have what I want? Go to amazon. They don't have what I want? Cartoonsupplies.com. Wait, they don't carry animation celluloids? Office supply store. Oh shit, I need cotton gloves. Latex ones will do. Walmart.

I have plenty of choices, pal.

Sodaholic said:

And you said it yourself, you don't want Google to ruin the Twitch service for you. Well guess what? If we had some goddamn proper regulation in the US, they wouldn't be allowed to ruin it even if Twitch wanted the money from Google. They'd be forced to instead get revenue by providing a service that people like instead of relying on big-daddy Google for extra cash.

Quoting Myself, because you didn't read my post:
I certainly hope it doesn't automatically turn into a stupid Google+ account or some horseshit. As for the legal stuff, remember that Twitch has survived reasonably well with its current legal policy -- not that I particularly know what it is, since I barely use Twitch at all.

If said regulations existed, they would simply be bought up by someone else and you'd still be just as outraged.

Sodaholic said:

Big business is getting extremely lazy and complacent, looking for easy cash with minimal effort. For example, most ISPs haven't upgraded their infrastructure for decades, and then they overcharge for this crap, and even throttle traffic they don't like and give you arbitrary data caps. When they tell you that you get a certain speed and they throttle your traffic anyway, you're not getting what you paid for. They've seen and jumped through the window of opportunity to do that, we need to close those avenues now.

What on earth gave you the impression I'm a fan of Comcast? Google search -> I hate comcast -> have fun.

Sodaholic said:

Government getting in the way of defacto world domination? No problem! Just corrupt it from the inside to do your bidding via bribes! Competition getting in the way? No problem! Either buy 'em or sic the obedient government on 'em with some bullshit excuse! Customers complaining of poor service and high prices? No problem! We're the only gig in town and we've corrupted the government to not listen, they can't do a damn thing about it!

World domination? Am I talking to a teenager here? Is this Umbrella Corp or something? Also, careful there, you do realize that the wealtheir, liberal area I've lived in was the one with the least small businesses, right? It's kind of hard to be a small business when Hillary Clinton wants to tax everything that does and doesn't move, and Obama thinks we oughta re-distribute the wealth.

Sodaholic said:

The current chairman of the FCC, Tom Wheeler, is a former lobbyist for the cable industry, and now he's doing them favors by killing what little remains of net neutrality.

I should warn you that I've heard the term "net neutrality" slung around by people who intended to do the exact opposite. Take it with a grain of salt; decide on your own.

Sodaholic said:

Hah! You feel safer when you have less choices? "Oh, jeez, this one service sucks and they're not listening to their customers, I'll just mozy over to their competi...oh, wait."

I'd refer you to the bit about the liberal area I lived in, but that seems like a win button at this point. :/

Sodaholic said:

You're naive if you, as a consumer, are fully in favor of the wolves' predatory behavior. Please, get the wool out of your eyes.

Breaking out the ammunition with a personal insult? Seriously?

Sodaholic said:

If you and any others truly think that this direction is what is right for the country, then I'm highly concerned. We NEED regulation to keep quality of life high so that we can compete with the rest of the world, lest we be left behind. And we already have been left behind in many respects, go look at some charts of how far back America is in education, health, science, employment opportunity. This is all because of the stupid attitude of economic anarchism that has come to be in recent times. Tell me, mister laissez-faire, how you expect the American people to compete with global society when we don't have good health, the means to provide for ourselves, good education, and good internet connection.

We've been flinging money at education like me wasting ammo in Doom for a very long time, and our education has almost completely plummeted in the mean time. We could try lowering that whole coporate taxe rate thing, with us having the highest / second highest in the world as this article by one of your guys nicely points out -- might help with that whole global competivieness thing. You want good health? Go exercise, I'm not the one who's got you chained to your computer desk and forcing you to eat cheetos while arguing with someone on the internet.

Sodaholic said:

If this keeps up, we'll be living in a comparitiavely shithole shanty-town, all as countries like Canada and Germany as a whole are doing great and don't want our products and services because they have far, far better. It's already happening too! FDA regulations are so lax the EU doesn't even want our chemical laden apples, among many other examples. Even China might surpass us, because even if their country is more hellish, at least they produce shit the rest of the world wants.

Apples? What the hell? Would you like to back some of that up please? This is sarcasm, right?

Sodaholic said:

America NEEDS to be truly equal. Anything less is unamerican. Fuck the 1% and their need to dominate if it means our demise, regardless of their continued prosperity after such a crash.

When the One brings the Utopia and we are all equal, you will not be living better than you are now. Everyone else will certainly be living worse. Equally worse.

Sodaholic said:

EDIT: Removing needless insults

I didn't see your post the other night because I was burnt out from the work week and decided some Prop Hunt was a good way to spend the night. But really? Telling me to fuck off and calling me a sheep, along with all your other passive-aggressive crapola that you still kept in your post? What are you afraid of pal? Are you seriously telling me that Mr. 90 posts and barely-been-here-for-six-months was all it took to trigger a massive wall of foul mouthed e-rage?

Thank God for notepad and post preview.

Whenever I see someone post something about "libertarians" or "liberals" or such I lose interest. To me it looks like a madman's tirade on internal US politics thrown into random discussion boards because they think it means anything.

BlueFeena said:

and actively enjoy both Coke and Pepsi. Coke and Pepsi do not have a gun pointed at my head demanding that I use their products -- there's already a billion cola knock offs out their I could happily use if I chose to do so.

I respect all your other life choices, but damn. Have some self-respect. Can't you use something properly addictive and enjoyable instead? Drinking Coke or Pepsi isn't like using Google, it's like using ask.com.

I've already made an ass of myself and should probably keep my head down, but I'll address a few points.

1. I apologize for the hyperbole and passive-agressiveness, it was fucking stupid.

2. Sure, we still have some choices, but what if Coke and Pepsi merged, and then bought all the knockoffs? People have many gripes with the way YouTube is run, but if the "internet fast lane" rules are put into place, any startup competitor won't even have a fair chance to compete because the system would be rigged in favor of large and established companies.

3. I'm not a democrat, and I don't like either of the two major parties. The dems cut shady deals with big business as much as the republicans do, just with different industries. Just because someone holds a certain ideology doesn't mean they're for any specific party. I also don't like how Obama has been handling things, he took many things that were wrong with Bush and amped them up. The fact that I complained about Wheeler, who was appointed by Obama, should've been enough to inform you that I'm no fan of either of them.

4. As for the American apple ban, see here. Whether you like the source or not, this article does cover something that the EU regulators decided to do for the time being.

5. For a time, Rush Limbaugh represented the positions of FreedomWorks and not necessarily his own without full disclosure of his deal. He also admits that he's only there to make people mad (jump to 1:12) and isn't very interested in actually caring about the issues, only to the extent that it keeps people coming back for more. To be fair, this clip is 26 years old and may not reflect his current view of his work, but I doubt that he's had a change of heart, especially given his far more recent dealings with FreedomWorks.

6. Funding is most certainly not the only problem with public schools, but it is one of them. Much school funding these days is derived from property tax, which in effect makes schools in poorer areas worse off. It's so in bad some places, that they don't even offer parts of standard curriculum like Algebra II. You're right that only throwing money at it won't solve the problem, but funding will surely help.

7. As for health, obviously lifestyle choices are a contributing factor, but I said nothing of them and you're not addressing the actual point I was making. What if you just happen to get injured by a drunk driver, or get cancer, or have a hereditary disease? And what if no insurance company wants to take you? How does that produce a productive workforce?

8. This one is directed at hardcore_gamer. I wasn't saying that small business should be given a safety net, I'm saying that no business should have safety nets and that they all have to sink or swim on their own merits. Anti-competitive behavior should not be allowed, period, no matter who it's coming from.

I'm not a big twitch user but I'm not really on board with google getting the rights to more stuff. However I am surprised about the backlash against google for attempting to buy them out. You shouldn't be going "fuck you google for crushing everything I love about the internet." you should be going "fuck you twitch for selling the fuck out"

if twitch was doing what they were doing for the good of the people, you'd have nothing to worry about. Now you're finding out that what youve committed a bunch of time and energy has turned out to simply be an amazing business venture instead? Why is that googles fault?

40oz said:

I'm not a big twitch user but I'm not really on board with google getting the rights to more stuff. However I am surprised about the backlash against google for attempting to buy them out. You shouldn't be going "fuck you google for crushing everything I love about the internet." you should be going "fuck you twitch for selling the fuck out"

if twitch was doing what they were doing for the good of the people, you'd have nothing to worry about. Now you're finding out that what youve committed a bunch of time and energy has turned out to simply be an amazing business venture instead? Why is that googles fault?

I'm sure Doomworld would sell out to Google if the mods were offered enough money. Who WOULDN'T sell out to them? Google just sweeps up everything they need to further themselves as a corporation and nothing can stop them because they got a blank check.

There's absolutely no question that twitch being bought by Google will ruin it. If they don't shut it down completely and/or merge it mostly into YouTube as a brand ("YouTube Live Streaming" or some bullshit), at the very least they'll be enforcing all their automated rampant copyright bullshit all over it and forcing you to use a g+ account to login or use the chat. The HTML interface will grow progressively more aggravating to use every 6 months.

The absolutely ONLY benefit would be the inevitable bandwidth increase, as Google pretty much owns the Internet at this point in terms of their bandwidth availability. But since the service won't be worth using any more, it won't matter.