Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nomad

Warframe

Any of y'all been playing this? Some co-workers got me playing this about a year ago and lately it's been consuming my life. The mechanics should be pretty appealing to a lot of you Doomers; emphasis on navigating the levels speedily, rather avoiding damage than absorbing it, interesting and varied gunplay--even some stealth elements if you so choose to play that way!

Some of you may scoff at the "Free to Play" infrastructure, but I think Digital Extremes made a good call on that; the game is funded by the cash shop and that independence gives them the freedom to develop the game both as they please; plus they really actually listen to the community and use that communication to improve the game constantly. You really don't HAVE to spend any money to get, as most things that require "platinum" (the in-game currency bought with real money) are simply for aesthetics or out of convenience; almost everything can be unlocked through playing the game.

Anywho, those of you who play sound off! I'm "Nomud" in-game. Feel free to add me and join if you see me!

[Edit]Whoops! Meant to post this in Everything Else![/edit]

I gave it a go about one year ago with a friend of mine, for a few days. It was pretty fun. I liked the whole wallrunning, sliding, etc.. The shooting felt solid. Decent visuals. Couldn't feel latency, and matchmaking seemed to work well enough.

No issue with the F2P nature of the game, it didn't seem exploitative at all and it's hard to complain about getting a free game. Especially when said game is a co-op oriented shooter! We can always use more of those.

However, at the time it seemed fairly repetitive, seeing the same rooms and missions repeatedly past the first hour. It was either low on enemy variety or lacking in obvious differences, while the grunts had different names there didn't seem to be all that much difference in AI behavior; either ranged, melee, or boss guy.

Character progression didn't suck me in either. It seemed a bit complicated to get new abilities or craft new stuff, and the benefits didn't seem so attractive either.

Likewise, the whole solar system map and picking your campaign seemed like it had promise, but there just was no lore to get excited about, no tangible objective or narrative to feel like it was anything more than window dressing.

Basically, I couldn't point to any significant flaw. All the pieces were there, yet it lacked that little something to get me immersed in the atmosphere as opposed to simply playing mechanically (as competent as it might be at that). Nothing to make me want to log in the next day. I'm not the biggest space sci-fi fan, but my friend is, and he felt pretty much the same way, so we left it at that.

I played the beta / and following updates of this when it first came out. I do not remember if this was still 2012 or early 2013.
After a freaking 3 gigabyte update to probably go out of beta the game went unplayable on my severely aging machine framerate wise.

But it is / was a fun game.
i remeber an easter special, Giant easter eggs everywhere and all the enemies wore bunny ears. You could get a lot of stuff from these eggs.

There's lots of lore, actually! The thing is, the game is technically still in beta, and a lot of stuff is still being worked on--not to mention actively revamped from time to time!

Technically, it is in the same universe as Digital Extreme's game "Dark Sector," though it takes place some vast number of years afterward. The "Frames" you use are exosuits that are "piloted" (for lack of a better word) by an order called Tenno, which descended from the main character of Dark Sector, Hayden Tenno. They haven't revealed exactly what kind of beings the Tenno are, considering that in Dark Sector Hayden is infected with something called "Technocytes." In Warframe you occasionally are matched up against an invasion of what are called "Infested," which are other beings infected with this Technocyte virus. They all seem mindless, or hive minded. My theory is that the Tenno are a more advanced/different strain of the Technocytes and are some sort of formless beings, hence their ability to inhabit the Frames despite the size differences of each of them. That's just my theory anyway.

Then you've got the Grineer, which is a cloned war machine of genetically enhanced humans that are hell bent on conquering the solar system. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with the Corpus. They seem to be actual humans, aligned under some kind of corporation.

But anyway, yeah there's lots of lore there, it just takes some time to piece everything together!

Also as for the repetitiveness, the game has overgone vast overhauls since you probably played last. It's almost entirely a new beast now. DE is constantly improving the game; I'd suggest giving it another chance if you did like the gameplay.

I've clocked almost 500 hours and I don't even know how this happened! I kind of play in cycles, my interest comes and goes. It's a nice fast shooter with some cool ninja action, good for a couple of missions every now and then with the right music in the background. But repetitiveness is definitely a thing. There inevitibly comes a point where it's all just about grinding for XP or resources with nothing to hold it together and little sense of achievement, where the lack of story/immersion/endgame material etc shows. I like how the devs constantly improve the game, though, and add new things as well as tweaking old stuff. The game has changed quite a bit from when I started a year ago...

Been playing this since it became public on Steam last year, my name is Glaice on there if interested.

The Corpus are a merchant trade cult and treat Warframes as salvage. You'll figure that out once you reach Jupiter's boss, Alad V.

I can tell you what regions have unique tilesets other than the ship tilesets:

Earth: Foresty regions on the surface overgrown on top of Grineer architecture.

Phobos: Deserty region with Grineer and brick architecture.

Jupiter: Corpus ships/buildings in Jupiter's upper atmosphere.

Ceres: Grineer shipbuilding facilities with indoor/outdoor regions. Also persistent rain/thunderstorm and looks quite desolate.

Void: Orokin ship interior, very clean and uniform with interesting design.

Derelict: See Void, but very grungy, things broken down, dark and both infested and normal plant growth everywhere.

I am very certain that each planet/moon will have their own tileset in due time.

Do you have an active clan, Chris? I have one with a bunch of coworkers but I'm about the only one that plays anymore; you'd be welcome to join. We have most of the Dojo stuff funded, sans a couple of the Infested projects since you can only get Mutagen Samples in the Derelicts now (and as I said I'm about the only one who plays anymore).

Tylerisepic1 said:

I don't really like it.

Thanks for your input!

Nomad said:

Do you have an active clan, Chris? I have one with a bunch of coworkers but I'm about the only one that plays anymore; you'd be welcome to join. We have most of the Dojo stuff funded, sans a couple of the Infested projects since you can only get Mutagen Samples in the Derelicts now (and as I said I'm about the only one who plays anymore).

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I am in an active clan (Tenkaku) which is in a 16-17 clan alliance (Honos Solaris Custodium I think?) but we don't really take the Solar Rail nonsense all that seriously because they're just time and resource wasters.

We do have all of the stuff researched as far as I know, I am also known as Glaice in-game. I play the assault/gunner/support type roles.