Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vdgg

Jon Landis magic

I thought the secret megasphere trick in STRAIN MAP06 was clear to me.

There are three linedefs, 1320 1322 1319, close one to another that act as S1 switches. Pressing use once lowers floors below the player, doing it another time opens a door around the switch, revealing two sergeants and a pillar, pressing the 3rd time lowers the pillar, revealing a megasphere.

But. How on earth the switch texture turns from red to green light, then to red light?

Attached is my replica which doesn't work.

*** PLS MAKE A COPY STRAIN.WAD if you want to do what I did ***
Now, using the original WAD, if I change the texture of linedef 1320 from sw1comm to something else and back to sw1comm, using doom builder 2, it doesn't work!!! This is probably something easy but I've no idea how it worked.

replica.zip

I recall someone (Essel?) mentioning multiple sidedefs to the same linedef to increase scroll speed in Vanilla. Maybe something like that?

Haven't looked at it yet, but from your description it sounds like a trick done with two linedefs referencing the same sidedef, like the fast scrollers in Plutonia and elsewhere. Can't really accomplish that in DB if that's the case. Will take a proper look later if someone else doesn't confirm that that's what is going on.

Ah OK travers and plums are right. DB2 sorts sidedefs numbers so they don't overlap. In "real" STRAIN.WAD three linedefs have the same front sidedef number, DB2 doesn't show that. I don't know what fast scrollers are, but I consider my doubt solved. Thanks!

Fast scrollers: check out the face textures behind the chaingunners here, on Plutonia MAP05

All the linedefs have the "scroll texture left" action, but they reference the same sidedef. As a result the texture scrolls much faster than it would normally.

Yeah, some cool unique tricks are possible with editing sidedef references. I once made a test Boom map where you see midday sky at first, then you press a switch and suddenly it's night. For that I replaced one pair of switch textures with two different sky textures. Then I placed a passthru switch linedef that had those skies as upper textures (not visible) right before the other switch, so the player would always press them both thanks to the passthru flag. And finally, I "connected" the hidden switch to a sky transfer linedef via sidedef references, so pressing it would change the texture that gets transferred to the sky.

Too bad this can't be done in Doom Builder so not only you have to use something else (I usually edit sidedef refernces in XWE), but if you resave the map in DB after, the magic will be gone.

Memfis said:

I once made a test Boom map where [...] I "connected" the hidden switch to a sky transfer linedef via sidedef references, so pressing it would change the texture that gets transferred to the sky.

That's an MBF map then.

Memfis said:

the magic will be gone.

It will also be gone in ports which uncompress the sidedefs.
So this kind of effect will most likely never be seen by many players.

Graf Zahl said:

It will also be gone in ports which uncompress the sidedefs.
So this kind of effect will most likely never be seen by many players.

So, "DOES NOT WORK IN UNINTENDED SOURCE PORT" then?

TimeOfDeath said:

So, "DOES NOT WORK IN UNINTENDED SOURCE PORT" then?

Yes, but also

Gez said:

That's an MBF map then.

"DOES NOT WORK IN INTENDED SOURCE PORT" too.

What editors allow referencing multiple linedefs to the same sidedef? Or do you need to manually edit a lump?

traversd said:

What editors allow referencing multiple linedefs to the same sidedef? Or do you need to manually edit a lump?

DeepSea can do it.

I just played MM22 and seems like it uses this too in the magical barrier area and at least one other place (try searching for linedef tag 10 and then 31). Pretty neat effect.