Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 6 - Wait for it....

(Links to the first, second, third, foruth and fifth sessions.)

Aright, let's get things going again! The next Abyssal Speedmapping Session is scheduled for the 25th of May, 10am NZ time. I'm compiling the last session as well, don't worry. :P If you don't have Skype and still wanna join in I'll post the necessary details here for you, so feel free to give it a whirl.

On a slightly different note, I'm thinking of limiting the Skype call a bit to minimize Skype weirdness: what's a good max number of people on the call? The last few have had about 11 people and the distortion is a pain in the arse.

Having hosted/participated in a number of skype conferences from varying locations and connections, 8 seems to be the tipping point or thereabouts, although I'm told that Skype used to be able to support a practically limitless number of folks without any beds being shat at all! Perhaps there could be two calls hosted or something?

Anyway, uh... I guess I'd better declare myself ready for this one. Ready to take twice as long as necessary, that is.

I hopefully won't be too busy that weekend so sign me the fuck up. :D

Alfonzo said:

Having hosted/participated in a number of skype conferences from varying locations and connections, 8 seems to be the tipping point or thereabouts, although I'm told that Skype used to be able to support a practically limitless number of folks without any beds being shat at all! Perhaps there could be two calls hosted or something?

Ah, thanks for that. Maybe you could host the second call? It'll be strange to say the least, but I've got no qualm with it if it works.

Anyway, uh... I guess I'd better declare myself ready for this one. Ready to take twice as long as necessary, that is.

Oh no you don't! I'm gonna get you to take only 2 hours even if it kills me! GRRRR!

:P

I'm quite pissed that the daylight saving time (2 months ago) shifted the session two hours deeper into night, for me. Nevermind. I realize I can probably make the speedmap next day. But it doesn't matter, I cannot speedmap anyway. I'm gonna confess you, I've been mapping with you (or the next day) in the past two sessions, but didn't succeed and therefore didn't post anything. It might go similarly this weekend too. :p

scifista42 said:

I'm quite pissed that the daylight saving time (2 months ago) shifted the session two hours deeper into night, for me. Nevermind. I realize I can probably make the speedmap next day. But it doesn't matter, I cannot speedmap anyway. I'm gonna confess you, I've been mapping with you (or the next day) in the past two sessions, but didn't succeed and therefore didn't post anything. It might go similarly this weekend too. :p

It's the thought that counts man. :) Remember, there's the Alfonzo treatment if you can't finish in 2 hours.

The sad truth is, sometimes I cannot finish a medium-sized, low-detailed vanilla map within 2 months. :)

Ooo... I'm out tomorrow evening and realistically will be back near midnight half drunk. I might need to miss this session :\ Although if you post the themes, I'll give it a go the next day and submit, seeing as compilation tends to take a few weeks, I can't see myself missing out entirely!

Edit: Actually, I might well just be 40-odd minutes late. This could still happen tonight!

I should be free for this. Count me in!

EDIT: Also, Tarnsman is a halfway point between NZ and me, and has bandwidth to spare. Or I could host the call. My connection's pretty good.

I want to make it, but I'll probably be a total retard and fall asleep an hour or so beforehand..

Consider me lightly penciled in!

You mean like, 1-monster map? Or 1 of the new, and any from the rest of normal Doom monsters?

EDIT: I will assume the latter.

This map actually took me 4 hours, and it's crap anyway. I cannot map effectively. Will it be accepted, then? I wouldn't mind if it was not.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/wchoice.zip (I've included the resource DEHACKED and sprites, for the sake of an easy usage)

Name: Weapon Of Choice
Music: From Eviltech MAP03
Build time: 4 hours + 15 min additional works (like balancing ammo and adding an exit) :(

Name: J-Pad's Space Pad
Author: Jimmy
Music: "Technical Difficulties" (written in less than 30 minutes while everyone else on the call was frantically trying to get the new DEHACKED monsters to work properly)
Build Time: 2 hours + time to fix all the shitty bugs that cropped up in this last-minute
Theme: Spaceport
Compatibility: Boom

SHIT, I FUCKING DID IT. I fell asleep again.. I think I'm too late, but here it is anyhow: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j345aipuviwoqia/dk_spee2.wad (Edited to add WolfSS enemies)

"Brown Bloodbath" is the title. I took an hour and a half on this 1995-ish map.

Theme: Oldschool / Brick
Compat: Full Vanilla Compatibility

I hope you decide to include it! (Oh, the song is BEAST by Chud.)

Name: The Devil's Artist Wields a Chainsaw
Author(s): Alfonzo
Music: "The Stillness is Near" by David Shaw
Build Time: 3 hours exactly
Theme: Chainsaw!
Compatibility: Boom

For reasons hinted at in the title, I would advise against placing this map in any slot other than map01, although I guess it could fit in near to the start provided the map(s) before have stingy ammo balance. Fun little stint again today! I'm... getting faster, I guess?

Looks like I couldn't make this on the day after all - interesting challenge this time, but I won't give it a go. I'll try and make next month's :p

Tarnsman said:

Still needs my map.

Your map still needs at least one of the DeHackEd monsters, by the looks of it.

Should have rocket zombies bro. Didn't the chaingunner get replaced by them?