Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linkrulezall

The largest WAD on /idgames

Holy shit, I'm already on capped internet, that thing will use a good chunk of it.

Are the textures worth having?

Off the top of my head, Soulcrusher should come to a closer second, there's also a wad which was made with Brutal Doom in mind and featured a 100-ish MB file which was MP3 music, it got reviewed in /newstuff not too long ago

Also, how big is KDIZD?

if we're talking largest in terms of gameplay these two are up there
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/tarakan2.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/dance.zip
40 maps each all very big by doom standards

for file size i remember some terry wad which suddenly grew to 1 or 2 gb when you unzipped it it's probably not on the archives anymore

nub_hat said:

for file size i remember some terry wad which suddenly grew to 1 or 2 gb when you unzipped it it's probably not on the archives anymore

Those were removed.

For reasons unknown, I am now pondering the total filesize of every file on the archives.

Does Ty hold the answer to this, perhaps?

Tylerisepic1 said:

NEARLY HALF A GIGABYTE?

There are some wads, like Grezzo 2, with 800+ megabytes. I don't know if it's in the archives, though.

!!BEGIN DISCLAIMER!!

This is old data, from the beginning of February, prior to Ty's purges.

!!END DISCLAIMER!!

sqlite> SELECT filename, size FROM wads ORDER BY size DESC LIMIT 20;
filename        size
bbfourty.wad    448402705
Damnation.wad   256445935
DVII-1i.wad     177678822
vg.wad          161965805
action2.wad     143208125
rod2.wad        126580515
DOOM80.wad      121200022
CIF3.wad        112680042
chemdept.wad    104857600
Tartaru3.wad    98724881
UACMN2.wad      95408720
3057hub1.wad    89378569
AVGNDOOM.wad    82540404
mangskin.wad    78205429
SCmusic.wad     74362635
dimxmus.wad     72589848
cchest4.wad     72442794
NDCP2.wad       69450467
2MusVids.wad    67907838
NeoDoom.wad     66536230
This data is from a set of WAD|/idgames tools that I'm working on, things like syncing /idgames, and going inside of zip files and figuring out what's there. Note that my tools don't handle *.pk3 files yet, that's on the TODO list.

Edit: made the disclaimer stand out a bit more. Does vB code have [blink] tags?

Searching for "bbfourty" or "damnation" shows 0 results. Anyone knows what is happening?

EDIT: Searching for Damnation in the Title (rather than the file name) shows me this, which I assume is the one you are talking about. I still can't find bbfourty.

EDIT2:

I failed to see this:

spicyjack said:

!!BEGIN DISCLAIMER!! This is old data, from the beginning of February, prior to Ty's purges. !!END DISCLAIMER!!

Sorry, ignore this post.

Zed said:

Searching for "bbfourty" or "damnation" shows 0 results. Anyone knows what is happening?

EDIT: Searching for Damnation in the Title (rather than the file name) shows me this, which I assume is the one you are talking about. I still can't find bbfourty.

Yeah, the file paths are not shown because I'm still working on the bits that cross-correlate between the two databases I'm using, a local copy of /idgames database info as queried using the API, and a database of WAD information I'm generating using scripts that touch all of the files in an unofficial mirror I have of /idgames.

FWIW, my unofficial mirror of /idgames is at:

http://phobos.xaoc.org/

Please to be exercising my bandwidth quota.

It's updated every 12 hours, and anyone is free to abuse^H^H^H^H^Hdownload from it. If I don't hit any snags, at some point, I would like ask Ty to become an official mirror.

Linkrulezall said:

For reasons unknown, I am now pondering the total filesize of every file on the archives.

33.2GB in my offline mirror, which is a couple of weeks out of date. Whatever total spicyjack has is probably more accurate.

GreyGhost said:

33.2GB in my offline mirror, which is a couple of weeks out of date. Whatever total spicyjack has is probably more accurate.

Nope, that's close enough.

Calculating runtime statistics...
- Total files found in archive: 34738
- Total size of files in archive: 33.16G
- Total files currently in /newstuff directory: 58

For anyone curious, bbfourty.wad was a Terrywad with a substantial amount of bogus lumps in it: it went out when Ty purged the archives.

Only 33 gigs? I guess it's not surprising, Doom WADs are famous for fitting tons of fun into a tiny filesize, but for some reason I was expecting it to be 100+. So many custom graphics, such tiny size..

So many custom graphics, such tiny size..

Don't forget that Doom's graphics are much lower resolution than those found in more modern games. For example, Doom's textures are generally 64x128 or 128x128, whereas recent games tend to use 512x512 or 1024x1024 . They also don't have any normal maps, specular maps, diffuse maps, etc.