Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypr

Dehacked

is there a way to change how tough or weak enemies are in dehacked ? should i dload a better doom.exe editing program ?

Enemy's strenght is determined with Hit Point's or HP. For exsample Cyberdemon has 4000 HP.

The other ways manipulate enemies, are .BEX patches, but i don't know are there any editors for it, and EDGE's DDF-files, which are much simpler IMO, and you can edit them with notepad, or something.

But deh is best if you want your wad to be 'universal' and work on any source port.

Your question has basically been answered, but if you have more questions, you may find the answer at my site. Click on the dehacked link to get some explanatioons of the basics and a few tutorials to get you going. You may also find some useful stuff about sprites under the doom general button too.

and the link?

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/

Enjay or Anyone knowledgable in DEH:
I have some dehacked related questions for you.
First off how do you make a monster drop a different weapon then the one he is using. Also is it possible to make other monsters drop weapons?
Finally, how does one implement a deh file into a wad so that zdoom 1.22 can use it via wintex?

Archvile64 said:

But deh is best if you want your wad to be 'universal' and work on any source port.

Off the top of my head, Deh doesn't work in EDGE. There are more source ports that don't accept Deh also, so maybe you would investigate a little before making such sweeping statements.

Lobo said:

Off the top of my head, Deh doesn't work in EDGE. There are more source ports that don't accept Deh also, so maybe you would investigate a little before making such sweeping statements.

Well, DEH is the format that works with *most* source ports.

Derrick said:

First off how do you make a monster drop a different weapon then the one he is using. Also is it possible to make other monsters drop weapons? Finally, how does one implement a deh file into a wad so that zdoom 1.22 can use it via wintex?

Are you planning these effects for ZDooM? If so, you don't need to use DeHacked -- simply use one of the ACS specials (e.g., Thing_SpawnNoFog(tag, spawntype, angle). For example, if you want a Mancubus to spawn a rocket launcher when it is destroyed, assign the Mancubus a tag (or thing ID) -- say 30. Then select the Thing_SpawnNoFog special for the Mancubus and put the tag number, spawntype, and angle in as follows: (30,29,0). In this way any enemy can be "programmed" to drop any weapon.

This whole process can also be done via a script, but it's usually cleaner and simpler if you directly associate the special with the thing, as I've outlined above.

If you still want to go ahead and do things via a DeHacked patch, you can simplify things for the player by inserting the patch into your ZDooM wad. It can be inserted like any other lump, and ZDooM will read it internally, avoiding the need for an external patch.

Also, there are several versions of ZDooM that are higher than v1.22. It's up to Beta33 of v1.23, and everyone generally agrees that Beta 33 is very stable. This version offers many features that v1.22 lacks, so give it a try. Go to ZDooM's ftp directory for the latest beta -- 123beta33.zip

“First off how do you make a monster drop a different weapon then the one he is using.”

You can simply make it so the dropped item in question's initial frame is the same as the item you want it to behave like. eg make the ammo clip have an initial frame of 842 and troopers and SS guys will drop soul spheres. You'll want to avoid using clips on your level as these will also be changed. You can even make the soul sphere frames be followed by invulnerability, mega or whatever to create a pickup that changes effect as the frames cycle. Note: I have not tried all the possibilities that exist with this (but I know the clips to Soul Spheres work). It does not work on some ports, however. Specifically, it will not work on Zdoom 1.23 due to the fact Randy has changed the way items are handled (due to a long term goal of implementing a more flexible scripting system). So if you are going for the latest Zdoom compatability, use ReX's method.

“Also is it possible to make other monsters drop weapons?”

Not via dehacked but again, see ReX's explanation for how to do it in Zdoom.

“Finally, how does one implement a deh file into a wad so that zdoom 1.22 can use it via wintex?”

The details of Wintex, I'm not sure, but to expand on what ReX said, when you include your dehacked file in your wad, it should be included as a lump called DEHACKED or it will not be used by Zdoom.

Nigel, did you get my email message about "true" 3D bridges? As I said in my message, I suspect I'm out of luck but I figure I lose nothing by asking. I have some back-up options, but realistic looking vestibules that connect various segments of a space station would be very cool.

ReX said:

Nigel, did you get my email message about "true" 3D bridges?

Yeah I did. I sent a reply a few hours ago. If it doesn't come through, give me another shout and I'll re-send.

I got your messages (with the cool space station pics -- very Duke3D, very nice). I'm drafting a reply with some of my ideas.

You really should release your space station level.

ReX said:

I got your messages (with the cool space station pics -- very Duke3D, very nice). I'm drafting a reply with some of my ideas.

You really should release your space station level.

Yes, please do so the rest of us can see what ReX is talking about...

so i have to set it for the spider demon to drop a chain gun and the commando to drop nothing

hypr said:

so i have to set it for the spider demon to drop a chain gun and the commando to drop nothing

In ZDooM you can easily set it up so that the spider demon drops a chain gun. But I'm not sure you can set it up so that the commando drops nothing. Remember, the method I outlined is a Thing_Spawn special, which can be used to spawn things but not to prevent a thing from being spawned. To prevent a thing from being spawned you'd need to use DeHacked.

Is there a special version of dehacked for ZDoom or is the normal one 100% compatible with it?

MaTT [TiK] said:
Is there a special version of dehacked for ZDoom or is the normal one 100% compatible with it?

No special version. Yet. Randy Heit (the creator of ZDooM) is developing something like that. Meanwhile, DeHacked is 100% compatible with ZDooM.