Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nich

Does anyone play Dos Doom netplay?

BaronOfStuff and I are wading through sewage, look at what we have uncovered!

epi2best.wad is best wad ever in e2m4

Observe the player 2 start, in all its glory:

In all seriousness there is no player 2 start. How I even spawned is beyond me.

No start in E2M6 either.

I don't know anything about doommatic, but in dosbox you can enter the command:
IPXNET CONNECT x.x.x.x <port>

x.x.x.x being the IP address and <port> of course being the port. You can ignore port if it is the default port.

Woah, it auto-generated a player 2 start? Even though you're way out of the map, that's still a cool "crash avoid" thing.

Fraggle - a west coast server would probably lag less for me (East coast Australia) so if others want it, that'd be cool :)

Me and ASD (Gargoyle) recorded some really fun Deathmatch demos in ZDM_14.wad! here's the wad: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/v-z/zdm_14.zip

and here are 3 demos: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9o1qmy9p9u607od/zdm_demo.zip (I am green, ASD is Indigo. We used Doom2 1.9)

We couldn't get the -warp command to work right, oddly enough, so we just zoomed to the exit for map02 and map03. Also, this is a connection between Australia and Finland, so we were lagging like crazy! Still, it was a ton of fun.

We'll all have to do a 4 player recording session some time, I need to get my 1994-crapfest satisfaction.

8:00 PM here, Baron and I are about to play some 94 idiocy. Grab us in #chocolate-doom before we start!

Managed to record one demo of EPI1BEST, haven't tried playing it back yet. Got up to E1M3 before Doom exploded because the .lmp was too big.

This is weirdly fun, playing these crap levels as the authors would have (half-)intended. Although missing playerstarts are a shitstain on the fabric of mapping. Aarrrggghhhh...

Edit:
And yes, we've got two spaces to spare for anyone who values playing awful maps over being constructive with their time online!

Mike.Reiner said:

epi2best.wad is best wad ever in e2m4

Looks like the epibests are the best shit indeed. They really overdid with that factor.

Doomkid said:

here are 3 demos

And my demos here. Those were intense games despite the crippling lag. We'll be in ZDaemon tomorrow if someone's interested.

I don't know if you guys are still playing, but I'm ready now.

I don't think that we are playing.

I am certainally not, its like 12 where I am, so I'm going to sleep.

Good night everyone.

Mike.Reiner said:

I don't know anything about doommatic, but in dosbox you can enter the command:
IPXNET CONNECT x.x.x.x

Doomatic is a replacement for IPXSETUP. You use it inside DOSbox.

Cool, might have to check that out.

For demo recording purposes we switched over to boom 2.02. -maxdemo wasn't playing nice in co-op in vanilla.

Also: The pain continues.

How many kb did you type for the demo size? I know 999 should do fine for lengthy demos. Can't remember if it was the maximum value and how many minutes it lasted.
I'm hosting a game on the EU server using Doomatic. Let's get a 4 player game running on the UDoom episodes!

This is frighteningly addictive stuff. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for classic LAN game emulation. Whatever the case, going through a bunch of maps like this last night resulted in a heap of 3P demo recordings of shit maps.

ASD said:

How many kb did you type for the demo size? I know 999 should do fine for lengthy demos. Can't remember if it was the maximum value and how many minutes it lasted.
I'm hosting a game on the EU server using Doomatic. Let's get a 4 player game running on the UDoom episodes!

I asked about this in the demo forum and Looper elaborated:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1271407#post1271407

Looper said:

If the commandline is too long, it won't work. You have to fit it in one line.

And that was the issue. -maxdemo 1024 works properly now. Now another friend and I can co-op AV with Doom2.exe and record demos that are compatible with it. Tried using chocolate-doom but there's no sound in multi player and the svn builds seem to be sketchy on stability.

I think It's fine sticking with Boom for this though..

These demos we are recording are just for Baron to make use of really, so I'm not too concerned that they are -complevel 9 demos instead of 2. Not exactly speed runs.

Mike.Reiner said:

svn builds seem to be sketchy on stability.

Do you have details on this? Have you reported a bug?

fraggle said:

Do you have details on this? Have you reported a bug?

This was just yesterday and I was busy, I was intending to bring it to your attention.

I wasn't able to find a real 'official' place to get them. Chungy had linked me to a server hosted on an .edu with some builds and 2.0.0-115 was crashing when starting the game's exe, 113 seemed to have been working but was freezing. I'm not at home right now so I can't really give you better details at the moment but I will try to get you any relevant information about it.

So from you Fraggle: Where should I go to get these newer builds?

Sorry i've been missing on this thread even though I've been genuinely interested i've been out of town. Change of plans though ive decided to connect to the internet using my dos 6.22 machine I have a pci ethernet card and hooking it up to my modem, it's detected the card but I'm still having trouble connecting it to the internet, any suggestions?

I've been chilling on #odamex on irc.oftc.net if anyone wants to hit me up. Will continue to do so at times when I may be available.

terminus12 said:

Sorry i've been missing on this thread even though I've been genuinely interested i've been out of town. Change of plans though ive decided to connect to the internet using my dos 6.22 machine I have a pci ethernet card and hooking it up to my modem, it's detected the card but I'm still having trouble connecting it to the internet, any suggestions?

Impossible to suggest anything without any more details.

GGs, Baron. lolwtfdoesthisswitchdololthatstheexit.txt
Hamachi - Network: DoomIPX Pass: humanbbq
Join the fun.

Hamachi? Don't you have to pay for that these days?

Why not just forward a port and run the server, or use the one Fraggle provided?

The free Hamachi trial can be used unlimited times. We use it solely for tracking us and chat.

That seems like a weird solution when you could just IRC.

As far as using Dosbox with Hamachi goes.. Hamachi is a VPN service. It installs a virtual network adapter on your machine and then connects you to a private network inside of the 'room' you are a part of in Hamachi.

At which point you just use the hamachi IP addresses to network dosbox or any other software really.

I used to use Hamachi a long time ago when I had an ISP that didn't allow any port forwarding.

fraggle said:

Impossible to suggest anything without any more details.

The computer is running ms-dos 6.22 I'm using a 3com ethernet pci card to connect it to a router. It's detecting the card I've downloaded drivers and what not but I can never tell if they've installed though because it just copies some files to the hard drive and I have to like start them up from there and I can't tell if it's working or not cause I don't know how to test the connection. My buddy told me i'll have to replicate a legacy network and I should probably give up but I don't want to quit that easily just yet.