Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

I have sent out a new version of the texture pack (version 12) to everyone. If I missed you, yell out and I will send it to you.

Doomhuntress said:

the song's not fixed with a MIDI editor, by the way. i'm still waiting for people to say if the fixed MIDI i provided earlier worked or not.

I have no idea. I am grateful to the likes of Bucket and Gez for their technical help with this stuff.

Ragnor said:

Im nearly two weeks behind now, sigh.

All good. :)

Cant really do anything till I get my computer back, but at least stuff will be waiting there I guess.

In the meantime, if you wanna start putting together ideas for Meat Locker, then give that some thought. I am gonna start mapping for that map soon-(ish). Seeing as all things texture pack are reasonably under control, and the other maps I am working on are done or waiting on other people. (Except Chold. That one can wait a while.)

Actually, Kyka, I'm planning to make Meat Locker, if that's all right. I'll be looking for your assistance, but I've pretty much got it planned out and just have to commit to putting it in the editor.

It would also be useful if someone could provide some white or gray wall tile textures. Something sterile-looking. (Or better yet, something that used to look sterile and is now brown-stained and gritty.)

Oh, and mrthejoshmon, you may be happy to hear that I found no major errors in your map submission. There are some tweaks I'd like to see made to it, but nothing broke.

Megamur said:

Oh, and mrthejoshmon, you may be happy to hear that I found no major errors in your map submission. There are some tweaks I'd like to see made to it, but nothing broke.

Ok, PM me the things you would like to see and I will do my best to implement them.

Megamur said:

Actually, Kyka, I'm planning to make Meat Locker, if that's all right. I'll be looking for your assistance, but I've pretty much got it planned out and just have to commit to putting it in the editor.

It would also be useful if someone could provide some white or gray wall tile textures. Something sterile-looking. (Or better yet, something that used to look sterile and is now brown-stained and gritty.)

Ok. All good. I will see what I can do about the sterile textures. :)

mrthejoshmon said:

Ok, PM me the things you would like to see and I will do my best to implement them.

I messaged Kyka with the list of critiques I had. He might be implementing the changes; I'm not sure if he wants to do it himself or have you make the modifications.

mrthejoshmon, up to you...... You can either make Megamur's changes, or you can make your own and send the map to me and I will make Megamur's changes.

is anyone else bothered by the low volume of my tracks in the project compared to everyone else's? it's kind of getting on my nerves that the tracks are so quiet...

Short of a lengthy discussion on a practical considerations to sound engineering, there's not much to be concerned about. There are probably a few tracks in there that have the volume and note velocity for every track cranked up to 127; you don't need to be adopting that kind of approach. Beyond that - while it may be tempting to make more robust sounds by double-layering and triple-layering instruments, it can have the opposite effect. This is MIDI, not a DAW with sophisticated mastering tools.

I'll probably get the chance to peruse the music tomorrow or Saturday.

Doomhuntress said:

is anyone else bothered by the low volume of my tracks in the project compared to everyone else's? it's kind of getting on my nerves that the tracks are so quiet...

Well the original TNT had MIDI volume all over the place, D_RUNNIN "Sadistic" compared to D_BETWEE "Deaths Bells" is a very huge audio difference (D_BETWEE is so freaking loud in TNT).

I don't personally see it an issue, but this ain't my project so...

If it can be relatively easily fixed, then for sure we sill.

I am no expert on midi, but wouldn't it be possible to just raise the velocity of all the notes in the quiet tracks (without having to do them one note at a time)?

I have no idea, but worth asking, Or some master velocity thing.

Doomhuntress said:

In my opinion, Crazy Castle Killer (the track I've chosen for my map) is loud enough, so you don't have to make it louder too much or at all. But I'll better let these decisions to others, I'm so tone-deaf that even my perception of volume might be really off.

In theory, it was a cool idea.
In practice, this is a vanilla project

back to the drawing board....

Me *dribbles*

WE NEED MEGAMUR AND RAGNOR IN HERE... MAKE THIS WORK IN VANILLA!!!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I am no expert on midi, but wouldn't it be possible to just raise the velocity of all the notes in the quiet tracks (without having to do them one note at a time)?

With Cakewalk, doing this is a... something that's easy.

Bucket said:

With Cakewalk, doing this is a walk in the cake.

ftfy

Hmm max drawsegs seems to be about 220 in that area, maybe if I cut some of the vertices. "Slope" needs a higher gradient too. The original plan was to go into the tower, so not sure how to make it significant. Perhaps the beam is energy spewing out of a teleporter that takes you...
*sunglasses on*
beyond.

Holy shit, that is awesome.

You guys should check out a new non-Revilution track he's made, Eye of the Storm, btw, pretty good.

Meanwhile, no news on my computer. I'd hoped to get it back by today, as its my birthday this weekend. Got myself some Turtle Beach PX4 headphones as an early gift, sadly not PC compatible so I cant use it for our midis. My old PX5s were better, but they are literally only staying together via a few wires now. You served me well, old friend. Enjoy your retirement.

so, the volume of the tracks i made are okay is what i'm getting at? the volumes are all lying around at 100 in GM volume scale, i think. i don't think the volume's a problem with Cataclysmic Impact or Grandfather Clocktower (since the former is like 10 seconds long, and the latter is supposed to be a calm track), but i found the difference to be very jarring when, say, comparing Crazy Castle Killer to the one before it, where the previous track you can hear through all the SFX of the monsters, but in my track, the SFX overpowers that of the monsters, so you have to lower the SFX volume to compensate for the lack of volume.

i'm not proposing that i do a "loudness wars mastering" of all my tracks on the project, it just personally bugs me that i can't hear my music over the enemies.

also, on a final note, Bucket, did you get my PM with the fixed MIDI file? because if the fix i made worked, i'll start fixing up all the other tracks for the project (and maybe touch the volume or not, though from what i could gather, it's not bothering anyone but me.)

Megamur said:

Any chance you can PM me the gist of it? I've started my potential 24 submission (ef_midi_17).
I got Sabaton's new album a few days ago and one of the songs has a very evil sound to it, it's the main inspiration for this new MIDI.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Me *dribbles*

WE NEED MEGAMUR AND RAGNOR IN HERE... MAKE THIS WORK IN VANILLA!!!

Well, obviously, you can't just set the aurora graphic as a sky texture like you could in a ZDoom WAD. The only other way I could imagine doing it would be to make a much taller aurora texture and divide it up into strips that could be stacked vertically, much like the Icon of Sin graphics, and then apply them as middle textures outside of the play area. Of course, this wouldn't look as good, and would probably greatly increase any drawsegs issues, but it's something to consider if you're really committed to the concept.

Eris Falling said:

Any chance you can PM me the gist of it? I've started my potential 24 submission (ef_midi_17).
I got Sabaton's new album a few days ago and one of the songs has a very evil sound to it, it's the main inspiration for this new MIDI.

Sure thing.

Doomhuntress said:

also, on a final note, Bucket, did you get my PM with the fixed MIDI file? because if the fix i made worked, i'll start fixing up all the other tracks for the project (and maybe touch the volume or not, though from what i could gather, it's not bothering anyone but me.)

Sorry, I didn't get a notice of your PM.
Unfortunately, nothing is fixed in your song. I gather that you're saving in MIDI Format 0, as the track properties are set at the beginning of the actual track. You may have erased them, but whatever program you're using is replacing them when you save. Pitch sensitivity is a setting called "RPN 0" and the default is 256 (two half-steps). Your songs set it at 1536 (an octave). If you can find that in your program's options and change it, go ahead, but I suspect it's hard-coded. At this rate it'd be less work if I enter the RPN in the tracks in which I use bending.

I also noticed your volumes are all set to 100. 127 is the maximum, so go ahead and change them, but you should obviously put some variation in there. Pan your instruments out while you're at it.

well... blast it. i thought i had found the solution to the problem, but i can't seem to find any trace of the bad command in Sekaiju, which i used to "fix" that song i sent in the PM. it's rather depressive that, not only am i unable to fix the problem my MIDIs have, i can't even test and hear the error for myself for some reason. pah.

i guess i'll just fix them composition-wise, then, because i'm unable to iron out the technical junk at all.

Megamur said:

Sure thing.

Not sure I want to eat this toast now..

Anyway, the aurora isn't intended as the sky, I just did that because we aren't allowed to post the real sky yet. I hope that wasn't the visual clincher of the shot :P
Though apparently Io can have auroral displays from time to time, which surprised me, I wasn't aware it had a magnetosphere.