Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Patrol1985

Best level editor for linux - preferably with GZDoom features

What is the best level editor for Doom under Linux? I read that "Doom Builder 2" run through Wine may have some issues. Is there any such editor written directly for Linux? Also, do any Linux editors support GZDoom features (3D floors, slopes, etc.)?

Basically, SLADE 3 is your only choice for advanced GZDoom editing on Linux at the moment. Other Linux editors are too old or they focus on vanilla editing (like Eureka) and have no support for UDMF.

Note that SLADE 3 does not display 3D floors and slopes in 3D mode. Doom Builder 2 doesn't either, but GZDoom Builder does.

Gez said:

Basically, SLADE 3 is your only choice for advanced GZDoom editing on Linux at the moment. Other Linux editors are too old or they focus on vanilla editing (like Eureka) and have no support for UDMF.

Note that SLADE 3 does not display 3D floors and slopes in 3D mode. Doom Builder 2 doesn't either, but GZDoom Builder does.

It has a map editor?

Yes. That's why I suggested it as a level editor, and why I mentioned a limitation of its 3D mode compared to GZDoom Builder.

Seems like a decent editor, didn't know slade had a level editor, at least I can't find a level editor in slade, do you have to download a addon or something?

Thanks Gez. Do you happen to know the system requirements of Slade 3? Are they similar to Doom Builder 2?

I use the old slade 2 map editor on xp, and on ubuntu via wine. There seems to be no active development for these tools on linux based systems compared to windows.

Wine keeps improving, so if you are no linux purist to proud to use wine i would not abandon wine because it grants you access to some of the better tools.

FireFish said:

I use the old slade 2 map editor on xp, and on ubuntu via wine. There seems to be no active development for these tools on linux based systems compared to windows.

Wine keeps improving, so if you are no linux purist to proud to use wine i would not abandon wine because it grants you access to some of the better tools.

I gladly would use wine, but I read about some issues regarding those editors and wine. I haven't tested them myself though. Can GZDoom Builder run well on wine?

Solid Snake said:

Seems like a decent editor, didn't know slade had a level editor, at least I can't find a level editor in slade, do you have to download a addon or something?

The earliest versions of SLADE 3 did not have a map editor yet but it's been in all the development version for the last few years and the last five beta releases. So read this for pointers.

Patrol1985 said:

Thanks Gez. Do you happen to know the system requirements of Slade 3? Are they similar to Doom Builder 2?

Roughly, yes. SLADE 3 however uses OpenGL (not DirectX, contrarily to DB2) for rendering so it's possible that if you have one of these laptops with crappy Intel or ATI integrated graphics that have absolutely dreadful OpenGL support, it might not work correctly.

It depends on the wine version, if you installed what is needed, etc...

I cant write about slade version 3, but i do know slade 2 is very
usable thanks to wine next to tiny glitches now and then in the graphics of the menu or editor grid.

Gez said:

Roughly, yes. SLADE 3 however uses OpenGL (not DirectX, contrarily to DB2) for rendering so it's possible that if you have one of these laptops with crappy Intel or ATI integrated graphics that have absolutely dreadful OpenGL support, it might not work correctly.

Unfortunately I do, hence my question :/ Oh well, won't hurt to try.

FireFish said:

It depends on the wine version, if you installed what is needed, etc...

I cant write about slade version 3, but i do know slade 2 is very
usable thanks to wine next to tiny glitches now and then in the graphics of the menu or editor grid.

Yeah, but what about GZDoom Builder for Wine? Slade has native Linux support so I don't have to run it through Wine, but GZDoom Builder is Windows only.