Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Are there any vidoes of people making levels?

I know there are plenty of video tutorials on youtube showing how use level editing programs like Doom Builder. That is not really what I am looking for. I am talking about vidoes of people showing how to actually make good levels.

I know that there is obviously no one single way of doing this, but are you aware of there being any video series of someone actually making a whole level from scrach while explaining why they make the design decisions that they do?

While it would be undoubtedly cool, one must remember that creating a level takes days / weeks / even more. Thus, such a video would probably feature a person blankly looking at their screen and thinking of the design for 99% of time.

^ Well, you could build the level first then comment it. i.e. record the whole thing, then cut parts and do voice-over.

I imagine this wouldn't be too hard to do with a somewhat small map. if the map itself takes something like 3 hours to build I am sure with some careful (and tedious) editing the video could be chopped down quite significantly, fast-forwarding through all the mundane stuff like pasting textures etc

edit: or what he said ^

There are some Twitch links in this thread that link to some people who occasionally stream mapping.

I'm pretty sure that in 2012, I've seen a video that covered the whole process of making a 7-hour (or so) speedmap, I remember playing the map, I thought the map even ended up in Doomworld Mega Project 2012. I'm not sure if I remember correctly. It might have been Katamori. He made this anyway - a video series of his mapmaking, commented only in Hungarian though.

Patrol1985 said:

While it would be undoubtedly cool, one must remember that creating a level takes days / weeks / even more. Thus, such a video would probably feature a person blankly looking at their screen and thinking of the design for 99% of time.

I think it's really just a matter of deciding what to do before actually recording the video. There is also no reason to record the whole thing in a single sitting, you could just decide "ok, for this part I will do whatever" and then record that. Each part could then be uploaded either one at a time or all at once.

Hell, if it weren't were the fact that I can't really speak english that well (speaking and writting isn't the same thing) I would be very tempted to actually try this out myself. But I don't know how entertaining people would find it with no vocial commentery. I am not sure if merely adding subtitles would be enough to entertain people, as it would probably make the mapping playthrough feel too dry. Or perhaps I am wrong here?

EDIT: Do you think it would make sense to actually just speak in Icelandic and then just add english subtitles? I know it would not make it any more easy for people to know what is going on then it would with just english subtitles and no voice, but perhaps it would make the video feel less dry and thus more entertaining to watch?

Marcaek said:

There are some Twitch links in this thread that link to some people who occasionally stream mapping.

I might check that out.

Patrol1985 said:

While it would be undoubtedly cool, one must remember that creating a level takes days / weeks / even more.

What are you talking about? Those 1024abc maps I make are done within an hour or less.

joe-ilya said:

What are you talking about? Those 1024abc maps I make are done within an hour or less.

Indeed. How long it takes to make a level really just depends on what kind of level you are making. An old school Doom level with light levels of detail and about 5-8 min of gameplay can me made in a day.

Anyways, since no vidoes of "let's map" exist I think I will make it my goal to make the first one. Hopefully it won't be terrible :)

I would be very interested in seeing one, go ahead hardcore_gamer. I think you should indeed just talk in your native language and then translate everything with subtitles, that will make talking a lot easier for you which is important here.

Memfis said:

I would be very interested in seeing one, go ahead hardcore_gamer. I think you should indeed just talk in your native language and then translate everything with subtitles, that will make talking a lot easier for you which is important here.

Thanks for the encouragement :) I have already started writting the script (I figured writting the text in advance wherever that is possible is a good idea).