Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

Virus and Zandronum issue

Recently I decided to install Virus, the popular total conversion WAD for Doom 2. I even attempted to create my own server on Zandronum running that.

One problem.

It seems as if it has somehow messed up Zandronum. And BAD.
The space behind the DOOM Marine's head is now green, instead of black, I cannot jump, and several other things are amiss.

Is there any simple way to fix this? At the moment, it is making the game unplayable.

Well, you're not meant to have the standard status bar on, so that's a non-issue. You should be able to fly too, so jumping should make you just float upwards. However, I never tested it in Zandronum (it was Skulltag back when I made Virus) and the mod was never particularly well put-together in the gusty place. I suppose I should really create a modernised, improved version of it that's a bit more reliable. Maybe actually make use of the E2 and E3 monsters and weapons, too...

Phobus said:

Well, you're not meant to have the standard status bar on, so that's a non-issue. You should be able to fly too, so jumping should make you just float upwards. However, I never tested it in Zandronum (it was Skulltag back when I made Virus) and the mod was never particularly well put-together in the gusty place. I suppose I should really create a modernised, improved version of it that's a bit more reliable. Maybe actually make use of the E2 and E3 monsters and weapons, too...

That's not my problem. My problem is that it screwed up the game for me ENTIRELY. No matter what I play now, (Deathmatch, CTF, ZDoom Wars)it has those problems.

Well, Virus as is shouldn't touch your configuration at all (or require installation, given it's just a mod you run with a port and Doom II), so I'm not sure what to say. Have you asked on the Zandronum forums? They're a lot more likely to have explanations for problems with the port or how Virus runs with it.

Phobus said:

Well, Virus as is shouldn't touch your configuration at all (or require installation, given it's just a mod you run with a port and Doom II), so I'm not sure what to say. Have you asked on the Zandronum forums? They're a lot more likely to have explanations for problems with the port or how Virus runs with it.

I asked them, and the only reply I got was this:

Is it possible that Virus is not compatible with the current version of zandronum?

IIRC, there are some wads and a hand full of mods that had to be fixed to suit what zandronum was lacking in ZDoom features.

The Civ said:

I asked them, and the only reply I got was this:

Well, that's unhelpful of them.

Try deleting your configuration file for Zandronum. That should undo whatever damage has been done and leave you free to change your settings back from scratch. Alternatively, check your settings first and see if anything has changed there.

This must be a compatability issue, due to the version changes between when Virus was made and what Zandronum uses as a code base from ZDoom.