Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Action order in Doom Builder 2 is confusing (now learning GZDoom Builder)

http://i.imgur.com/WbbFmJ6.png

Who else thinks so? I find it very confusing how on that picture there are some S1 floor raise on top, then S1 floor lower, then on bottom S1 floor raise again, etc. For some reason usually it takes me especially long to find "S1 floor lower to lowest floor".

So has anyone tried to put them in a better, more logical order? If not, I guess I'll try it by myself and post the results here later. Perhaps could just copy the one from Doom Builder 1, there I've never experienced any problems with this.

Totally agreed. I think they're just in numeric order. But that is not a useful order at all.

I think most of the relevant files are in "Doom Builder 2\Configurations\Includes". Dunno if copying the files directly from DB1 would work or not, I'd suspect there would be problems.

e: the order from http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Linedef_type would probably work well.

For this reason I've written down my most commonly used line actions on a sticky note and leave it near my computer, so I can just key in the numbers rather than look it up

Yeah, the order they're in is extremely jumbled from a usability standpoint. A fixed list that puts them in a more sensibly categorized order would be way useful.

I completely agree, Memfis! It's so annoying. I think they are in the order Romero and Carmark coded them when they needed a feature that didn't exist already like 6 months into creating the game: "Ohh, I want a set of raising stairs here! Let me just code that first and not give a flying fuck on how it looks in the editor!" ;)

boris said:

They are ordered by the action number.

God dammit man! Have a sense of humour you.... greenblooded hobgoblin!

Indeed, but did u know that you can re-organize your actions list by modifying the "Doom2.cfg" in doombuilder folder?
Scroll down to see the list and change'em the way u like.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I still haven't gotten use to it after switching from DB1 years ago.

Umm but GZDoom Builder doesn't have a vanilla-like config it seems? Like, I don't need the ability to use textures as flats for example but I can't stop the program from suggesting them? I can't switch to it then, too much annoying stuff I don't need.

To fix the problem this topic is about it seems like you just need to edit the Doom_linedefs.cfg file but who will be the hero to do that?

Memfis said:

Umm but GZDoom Builder doesn't have a vanilla-like config it seems?

I running the latest development build (r1963), and Doom configs are there, along with Boom's.

Memfis said:

Umm but GZDoom Builder doesn't have a vanilla-like config it seems?

Of course it has vanilla configs.

Memfis said:

Like, I don't need the ability to use textures as flats for example but I can't stop the program from suggesting them?

GZDB behaves just like any other vanilla editor, textures to linedefs, flats to sectors, no mixing.

Memfis said:

To fix the problem this topic is about it seems like you just need to edit the Doom_linedefs.cfg file but who will be the hero to do that?

Using GZDB alleviates the problem to some extent.
No passing the buck needed. :-)

[edit]
While I was busy drawing pictures, I see Blue Shadow pointed out r1963.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

They're ordered that way because:
1) It's tedious to order them yourself
2) The author probably didn't want to miss any of them through the manual sorting process.

Thx, at first I downloaded GZDB from some zdoom topic and it had like 3 configs but now I found the version you're talking about.

Is there a brightness ON\OFF button in visual mode? Can't find it. (In DB2 it's "B")

Is it possible to make textures larger in the texture browser? (edit: nevermind, found it)

Memfis said:

Is there a brightness ON\OFF button in visual mode? Can't find it. (In DB2 it's "B")

It's still "B" (by default), in GZDB.

Weird...

Just to test, I deleted my current settings/config file to let the program create a fresh one; that key was still bound to that option by default.

I don't really find it that confusing, to be frank. Sometimes, yes. But not all the time.

the fuck, in GZDB THEY SWAPPED ALL CANCEL AND OK BUTTONS
impossible to save progress now lol

I might have to check this GZDoombuilder once in time, i realy do not like doombuilder one tiny bit and this might close the ravine a bit as long as gzdoombuilder can produce one hundred percent vanilla doom wads.

Memfis said:

the fuck, in GZDB THEY SWAPPED ALL CANCEL AND OK BUTTONS
impossible to save progress now lol

Yeah, this only happened recently. It's a bit annoying, I agree. I brought it up once but no one seemed to mind it, as I didn't see anyone express their opinions about it.

FireFish said:

I might have to check this GZDoombuilder once in time, i realy do not like doombuilder one tiny bit and this might close the ravine a bit as long as gzdoombuilder can produce one hundred percent vanilla doom wads.

I don't know your reasons for disliking Doom Builder, obviously, but I'm not sure you'll like GZDoom Builder either in this case, because it didn't drastically change the formula of what it's based on. You can say it's an extension.

Blue Shadow said:

I don't know your reasons for disliking Doom Builder, obviously, but I'm not sure you'll like GZDoom Builder either in this case, because it didn't drastically change the formula of what it's based on. You can say it's an extension.

Maybe those litle differences could be a factor in me changing my mind.

it is almost unexplainable, but there are all these things in doombuilder which irritate me so hard i do not feel like mapping when using it. On the counter end of that Slade 2 is to me perfection incarnate.