Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Post your worst Doom experience here!

Well, you know, the SNES version didn't have a save feature; and my first time Doom experience was on the SNES. I was in E3M2 and there was a power outage. Worst.Failure.Ever.

ASD said:

lmost forgot the BFG Edition, particularly on PS3; low look sensitivity (almost unplayabe), couldn't see anything in long distances, red screen lasts longer, crappy sounds and music and the censored wolf3d levels. Gave it a second chance recently and played through NRFTL on UV. Decent episode only made painful with the horrible controls and gameplay of the port. Not going to touch that garbage again.

It pains me when people refer to this port as "accurate to vanilla", it makes vanilla DOS Doom seem like Zandrodamex 3.0 - The music really blows in this version, it's slowed down and uses terrible instrument choices, the control is (as mentioned) REALLY shit. Me and friends often play Doom Legacy splitscreen with 360 controllers, and it's way, WAY better than the awful tiny screens you get on the PS3/X360 version.

I had this feeling that ID (Bethesda) was just trying to push old Doom even further into the shadows with that disgrace.

Also, what's up with the pills replacing the red cross on medikits/stimpaks? Was that some retarded attempt at censorship? IN A GAME FULL OF UPSIDE DOWN CROSSES??

Doomkid said:

what's up with the pills replacing the red cross on medikits/stimpaks?

That could (but might not) be related to the actual real life red cross, which a lot of companies claim to be EXTREME in their protection of the 'red cross' logo. Looking at how hard Zenimax / Bethesda focuses on copyrights this might have been done 'to be on the safe side'.

Joke :
So now i suggest calling Nintendo and claim it are doctor Mario pills.

edit :
added quote.

FireFish said:

That could (but might not) be related to the actual real life red cross, which a lot of companies claim to be EXTREME in their protection of the 'red cross' logo.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. ZeniMax/Bethesda are sleek as sharks when it comes to copyright stuff.

Trying to play map UAC15 from that certain infamous wad that I probably shouldn't name on a server with people who didn't know what they were doing and set off every. single. trap.

It got downright unplayable.

My first encounter with the Mastermind was quite frustrating. I was wondering what they would come up with after fighting the Cyberdemon, so when I reached E3M8 I was expecting the incredible ultimate final Doom boss. I could hear it, so I shot some BFG blasts from distance before getting closer. Well, I didn't had the opportunity. It died. I didn't even see it (resolution was much lower, back then). Beat the game. Congratulations. The End.

Sunder MAP05's platforming progression, it pissed me off so much I threw my keyboard at the ceiling and keys flew everywhere.

Fellowzdoomer said:

^ Cue Thy Flesh Consumed.

Son, back in the good ol' days, Doom had only three episodes.

Suitepee said:

Playing Du Mhan Zhu's map on DMP2013. Scythe's "Fire and Ice" a close second.

ASD said:

TNT Hell levels.

Getsu Fune said:

Sunder MAP05's platforming progression, it pissed me off so much I threw my keyboard at the ceiling and keys flew everywhere.

This is funny because I liked all those things.

OTOH I agree totally with scifista42. I don't remember what the first Terrywad I played was, but I think that has to take the cake as worst Doom experience.

Probably maps with the "High Damage Hitscanner(s) Teleports Behind You And Obliterates Your Health By Least 80%"-trick. Interception's First map and Shotgun Blues in 2002ado did this.

CorSair said:

Probably maps with the "High Damage Hitscanner(s) Teleports Behind You And Obliterates Your Health By Least 80%"-trick. Interception's First map and Shotgun Blues in 2002ado did this.

I just played that map today for a Let's Play I'm doing. I wasn't a happy fragger... -_-

plums said:

This is funny because I liked all those things.

irony is, I can handle myself in most combat scenarios without tossing my keyboard. but throw a ridiculous platforming section my way in a map (even if it's just for a secret!) and I can't do it without save-scumming multiple attempts out the window.

Playtesting Jodwin maps. The Doom community owes me big time for the horrors they were spared but, alas, I still remain an unsung hero.

Wandering the E1M4 labyrinth, imp hissing in the dark and after a short brain delay I literally jumped out of the seat.
Epic chest burn followed. This part of E1M4 was probably co developed by the local coroner.

Maes said:

Playtesting Jodwin maps. The Doom community owes me big time for the horrors they were spared but, alas, I still remain an unsung hero.

Strange, you sing about it frequently enough ;)

It looks like people aren't reading the question very carefully.

Fahim@_@ said:

What was the darkest event that happened to you in Doom?

That would have to be Mock2.wad map18.

dew said:

A DM game on Gothic99 map01. A great victory of detail over sanity.

lol. indeed. i had played the first gothic dm with the other guys who used to host weekend lans back then, and we had fun with some maps, so we thought "gothic inside" was a sign of quality...

well, we had no idea how many sectors one can cram into one room. until that thing. one couldn't even walk in a straight line without the viewport bobbing like crazy because even the floors had tiny sectors of varying height. not to mention various nooks and rims that caught a player at every step. that wad was a superbly polished turd.

Fahim@_@ said:

What was the darkest event that happened to you in Doom?

The Blue key room in Toxin Refinery

40oz said:

The Blue key room in Toxin Refinery

For me, rather the Halls of the Damned's Red skull section, along with the greyscale room of Warrens.

My 2 year old grandson pissed himself the first time he saw a Pinky -- he was sitting in my lap as I played (can't remember the level).