Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Most hated level in Doom1+2

What level in Doom1/UDoom and in Doom 2 do/did you hate to play through the most?

Doom 1 (not counting Ultimate Doom): E3M7 - that labyrinth with the harmful blood floor was annoying as fuck (and back then I hated this particular music track - now I love it, strangely enough) and it was too damn confusing.

Doom 2: map30 hands down - it's always an ordeal to hit that damn hole in the Baphomet's head - it's particular annoying when one of these Archvile fuckers are teleported in, because you have to kill it first, before you can resume blasting away at the hole.
The first time I played through Doom 2, it was probably map28, because I couldn't find that goddamn exit (you have to blast three skin wall with half-drawn pentagrams on them to open up the way to the exit) - it took FOREVER to complete that fucking level. Of course, now that I know how to find the exit, I love that map.

Let's see... i admit, E3M3 was a bit nightmarish - especially first time round when you've NO CLUE where u'r going. The midi, tho, is 'Behind the Crooked Cross' by Slayer >:) However, if i had to pick one that i couldn't stand, it'd have to be... E2M6 - Halls of the Damned ; not cuz it was a *bad* level... just cuz it scared the living shite out of me.

As for DoomII, i HATED about half of the levels. They just felt so... thrown together, you know? Downtown looking like an actual downtown? Pah! One of the best is map29 (Living End), and that 'giant cavern' theme has been used shitloads in Final Doom.

I hate E3M2. Not because it's a bad level, hell no, it's great, but it scares me. Doom II sports an impressive amount of crappy levels.

Zaldron said:

I hate E3M2. Not because it's a bad level, hell no, it's great, but it scares me. Doom II sports an impressive amount of crappy levels.

I kinda figured you'd pick e3m2 as your "hated" level, since it provokes that odd feeling you've mentioned in another thread.

I agree that Doom 2 sports very few good levels, but the levels I definitly hate are levels that are downright annoying to play through, where it's an ordeal rather than a fun experience to play through it. Most of Doom 2's maps, while crappy in "eye candy" design are still fun to play through (though I prefer Doom 1's maps), but there are a few which I basically never play in (unless I'm playing through the entire game), simply because I find those levels an unpleasant experience.

See 'The Refueling Base' (map10) and 'The Suburbs' (map16) for some truly awful maps.

On the other hand, DII does sport niceties such as 'The Living End' (map29) and 'The Inmost Dens' (map14).

Peh.

For Doom2, I used to hate level 12, The Factory, but now that I've figured how to get the yellow key and find the exit, it's all good now.
For Doom 1, I used to hate E2M5. I still do. I always get lost at about the same time you're teleported back to the beginning of the level.

the one level I still hate today is the factory (map 12), I still can't complete it first go, that and the courtyard! :(

The Courtyard is easy, I beat it the other day in under 40 seconds! Just don't stand in one place for too long, or you're done for.

Because I primarily play Doom for the visual experience I hated Doom2 map16 for being so damn ugly. I also hate E3M8 for being such a big dissapointment. It's ugly as hell and there is nothing there to build up any kind of tense atmosphere. Just a tunnel and then the big thing in a bright nondescript arena.

Zaldron said:

Heh, I agree, E3M2 is really scary. But i don't hate it for that.

Anyway, I don't hate anything in Doom, and in Doom II it would be MAP30.

Slough of Despair (e3m2) was pretty scary... in a tense way. You spend most of your time running, and there was a beastie behind every damn rock in the map... argh

See 'The Refueling Base' (map10) and 'The Suburbs' (map16) for some truly awful maps.

They're both ugly, but they're not awful to play in - I find both of them rather amusing to play through (and the music in those two levels rock imho).

the one level I still hate today is the factory (map 12), I still can't complete it first go, that and the courtyard! :(

Surprisingly, the factory is one of the few maps of Doom 2 I actually like - dunno why. The courtyard, however, is a map I always try to complete as quickly as possible whenever I play through Doom 2 - the music is one of the main reasons (I *could* turn off the music, but playing Doom without music - even sucky music, feels a bit...strange in an unpleasant sort of way).

If u're using a port with a console and cd support, throw on your favourite band and listen to music u KNOW you'll like :)

dsm said:

They're both ugly, but they're not awful to play in - I find both of them rather amusing to play through (and the music in those two levels rock imho).

Strange, I like them both.

The courtyard, however, is a map I always try to complete as quickly as possible whenever I play through Doom 2 - the music is one of the main reasons (I *could* turn off the music, but playing Doom without music - even sucky music, feels a bit...strange in an unpleasant sort of way). [/B]

You don't like the courtyard music??!??!

Lament said:

Strange, I like them both.

I don't either. Even if it's Pantera's "This Love", it creaps me out, especialy when you're in the blood maze, or being chased by all those demons. Map 18 is my least favorite in Doom 2.

As for Ultimate Doom, I think E2M6 is the worst. That suspenseful music, those tight hallways, the fake exit (when i played that level the first time...oh god), and the area where the strict, concrete, UAC walls transform into a dark, hell-like maze...i realy hate this level...

Man, thank hell i'm not the only one getting freaked by E2M6.

Courtyard music... Pantera???

Lament said:

Yep, it's not the type of creepy music I like - I prefer creepy music to sound really evil with deep tones - this one strangely enough reminds me of something you'd play for a kid (although I wouldn't play it for a kid).
It fits nicely in "monster condo" (don't remember what number that is - I don't play Doom 2 that often), but it totally sucks in the courtyard.

Mainly because the Courtyard sucks.

I really don't see the great thing about the map10 music (The Demon's Dead). It is Doom2 tune I like the least.

I love map10 though. Clever tricks. Nonlinearity at it's highest. Superb mood. Looks more at home in Doom episode 2. Btw. that level was actually included in the Doom alpha 0.5. Go figure.

WTF? Why do you people hate levels that are creepy and/or scary? I'd love those, if there just was any doom level anymore that'd freak me out.

AvP was cool as marine because, well, you know. But I didn't play past one stupid level where I had no idea how to exit it.

Only shitty Doom1/2 level I can think of now would be the icon of sin.

Insomniac said:

I don't either. Even if it's Pantera's "This Love", it creaps me out, especialy when you're in the blood maze, or being chased by all those demons.

doom is supposed to be scary

As for Ultimate Doom, I think E2M6 is the worst. That suspenseful music, those tight hallways, the fake exit (when i played that level the first time...oh god), and the area where the strict, concrete, UAC walls transform into a dark, hell-like maze...i realy hate this level... [/B]

doom is supposed to be scary! E2M6 is one of the best levels! WTF?

Lament said:

doom is supposed to be scarydoom is supposed to be scary! E2M6 is one of the best levels! WTF?

I couldn't think of any that i didn't like from the original, so i picked the scary/difficult ones.
Peh.

the map that i hated.
DOOM2 map 18
no,it is not bad map but i found the music in that level really scary (waiting for romero to play) + a blood maze with shotgun guys.
/me push idmus01

dsm said:

The first time I played through Doom 2, it was probably map28, because I couldn't find that goddamn exit (you have to blast three skin wall with half-drawn pentagrams on them to open up the way to the exit)

So THAT'S how you beat that level. Huh.

Anyway, the level I hate the most on Doom 1 is probably e1m9 (The Military Base). It was just one huge dissapointment. E1M3 was a lot more fun to go through just looking for the damn secret level than the secret level was to play without trying to piecemeal.

As for Doom 2, I think MAP9 (The Pit) Is just a bitch. Its like uneccisarily long and ugly looking. Then there's that Tenaments level which is just ugly looking, and Nirvana which is both ugly and confusing.

Spike said:
Man, thank hell i'm not the only one getting freaked by E2M6.

Me too. Very weird level, a bit much for me when I first played it, but it's a good level once you're a better player.

the_Danarchist said:
As for Doom 2, I think MAP9 (The Pit) Is just a bitch. Its like uneccisarily long and ugly looking.

It has a lot of clashing styles, but there are good areas, some good fights, and the music is one of the best from Doom II.

Ok worst Doom 1 level - no clear choice, just a lot of mediocrity in Inferno. I'd go for a toss up between E3M1 and House of Pain, because they're just lame levels.

Doom 2 - no contest, The Chasm. God I hate those thin walkways, and that deathtrap acid room before the exit. Damn them! Argh!

dsm said:

The first time I played through Doom 2, it was probably map28, because I couldn't find that goddamn exit (you have to blast three skin wall with half-drawn pentagrams on them to open up the way to the exit) - it took FOREVER to complete that fucking level. Of course, now that I know how to find the exit, I love that map.

Dunno, I've always taken the scenic route. The first time I played the map I got ámbushed by Arch-viles I didn't expect constantly so I got really really scared in a positive way.