Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Duke 3D Megaton Edition

Is it worth it? I found a 50% off coupon for it in my Steam "inventory" after my birthday, and was going to ignore it or give it away as I got Duke 3D Atomic Edition for free on GoG.

Apparantly its some kind of super edition, with the three expansion packs and other stuff. The HUD looks new for example. So yeah, is it worth buying, considering that I have Atomic on GoG?

Just bought the giant Serious Sam pack when it was on sale, so it'd mesh well with that I guess.

It's just Duke Nukem 3D packed with a modified JFDuke engine and some unnecessary changes to the game file.

If you have some extra money, you can try flushing it down the toilet, IMO.

Technician said:

It's just Duke Nukem 3D packed with a modified JFDuke engine and some unnecessary changes to the game file.

If you have some extra money, you can try flushing it down the toilet, IMO.

Can you get those expansions anywhere else though? $5 seems worth it just for them so far.

Alright, cant really go wrong for just $5 I guess. And if its anything like Doom on steam, I should be able to take those expansion files for a source port later on if I want to right? (I sniggered at finding doom2.wad in the Master Levels. Why would anyone buy both ML and D2?)

Ragnor said:

Alright, cant really go wrong for just $5 I guess. And if its anything like Doom on steam, I should be able to take those expansion files for a source port later on if I want to right? (I sniggered at finding doom2.wad in the Master Levels. Why would anyone buy both ML and D2?)

ML used to be bundled with D2 on Steam, but then Valve or Id went full retard and have successively:
- removed any and all packs containing the full Doom collection
- removed ML from D2 so that ML couldn't be bought at all
- reduced the prices in dollars, but not those in other currencies
- introduced the Doom Classic Complete pack
- reintroduced ML but as a separate purchase, costing as much as the DCC with UD and FD as well.

I don't care, I got the Id Super Pack several years ago on a summer sale.

I'm pissed off at that pack for not including No Rest for the Living. I refuse to buy Doom 3 BFG Edition a second time just to extract a wad I have on two consoles already...

Ragnor said:

I'm pissed off at that pack for not including No Rest for the Living. I refuse to buy Doom 3 BFG Edition a second time just to extract a wad I have on two consoles already...

Go vent at M$.

Ragnor said:

Pirate it.

Ragnor said:

Well technically you can extract the data from the console.

Jodwin said:

Go vent at M$.

If it was only on the XBLA version. It's available in all versions of Doom 3 BFG Edition, as such the only way to get it on PC normally is to get that version, so this is Bethesda/id being lazy dicks like always.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is it possible to extract the data for the Duke 3D expansions from Megaton Edition and run them with vanilla (DOS) Duke? Or do you have to use EDuke32 to run them? I have some issues with running EDuke32, but I can run Duke 3D in DOSBox just fine.

Gez said:

ML used to be bundled with D2 on Steam, but then Valve or Id went full retard and have successively:
- removed any and all packs containing the full Doom collection
- removed ML from D2 so that ML couldn't be bought at all
- reduced the prices in dollars, but not those in other currencies
- introduced the Doom Classic Complete pack
- reintroduced ML but as a separate purchase, costing as much as the DCC with UD and FD as well.

Don't forget that they also removed the original Doom 3 during that time. They did reinstate it, but only after much complaining.

Gez said:

I don't care, I got the Id Super Pack several years ago on a summer sale.

You should care, even if it doesn't directly involve you. What about any new people trying to get into Doom and their options are severely limited thanks to id removing a bunch of stuff?

Megamur said:

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is it possible to extract the data for the Duke 3D expansions from Megaton Edition and run them with vanilla (DOS) Duke? Or do you have to use EDuke32 to run them? I have some issues with running EDuke32, but I can run Duke 3D in DOSBox just fine.

Taking a quick peek at the files, I think you should be able too. THe Whole Duke Game is in there, so in truth you can probably extract the whole game without a hitch if you want to buy it from Steam without using Steam to play it (Though that would be Vanilla Duke. I don't know about the Megaton features like the hud or server browser, mods, etc), but the expansions should be extractable to play with other ports or vanilla. DosBox is also packaged with the game for classic mode (I guess).

Sodaholic said:

You should care, even if it doesn't directly involve you. What about any new people trying to get into Doom and their options are severely limited thanks to id removing a bunch of stuff?

Honestly? As long as an IWAD is available (cue Freedoom) and the idgames archive has working mirrors, nobody's Doom options are going to be "severely limited".

Ragnor said:

Is it worth it? I found a 50% off coupon for it in my Steam "inventory" after my birthday, and was going to ignore it or give it away as I got Duke 3D Atomic Edition for free on GoG.

Apparantly its some kind of super edition, with the three expansion packs and other stuff. The HUD looks new for example. So yeah, is it worth buying, considering that I have Atomic on GoG?

Just bought the giant Serious Sam pack when it was on sale, so it'd mesh well with that I guess.

$5 is worth it! I've got 15 hours in the game. Its got mod and multiplayer.

I would say get it on Steam. The expansions (especially DIOIDC and Caribbean are amazing), fuck NW though. It's also relatively easy to get a Dukematch game going, I am not sure if they fixed the map exploits or not as I have only tested it briefly (I prefer Meltdown for competitive play, personally). The only problem with it I would say is that you are limited in terms of what mods you can use in comparison with EDuke 32, but there's always Steam workshop which has some good maps worth checking out. You also get Sweeney.map and Sewer.map by default (found in user maps).

Gez said:

Honestly? As long as an IWAD is available (cue Freedoom) and the idgames archive has working mirrors, nobody's Doom options are going to be "severely limited".

I meant as far as to play the official IWADs and their addons, not just to be able to play Doom in general. Of course anyone can just load up Freedoom with some user-made PWADs and play around, but that's no substitute for the actual Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, No Rest for the Living, Master levels, Evilution and Plutonia. Sure, they can get it all through Steam, but it's more expensive now to get the truly complete pack (sticking to official modern PC releases).

To get NRFTL, you have to buy Doom 3 BFG Edition. So you're looking at $35 USD minimum. With Doom Pack Complete, you get all of that for the same price, but the superior original Doom 3 + ROE. You don't get the Lost Episode, but it's kind of lame anyway. Not sure about the Steam version (please let me know one way or the other), but the PSN version is confirmed to have the botched IWADs of BFG.

Of course, you can still buy the original physical medium, but that's slower and more inconvenient, and the lasting physical condition or hardware compatibility with future machines is not guaranteed. Maybe I'm asking for too much and overstating the extent of the problem, but it was better before BFG came along and the business decisions that followed. I'm probably worried over a near non-issue.