Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

Map ideas?

I open up Doom Builder 2 this morning, and i sat there, for 5 hours. Nothing. I got nothing. I have been away from mapping for a while, and when i try to go back, i have no idea what to do. Sooo basically, does anyone have any just basic ideas on a map to make. It would be heavily helpful, thanks in advance.

You start inside a grave. You press a switch, the floor rises to the ground and you see three arch-viles that were just about to bury you. You have no weapons so you have to run away from them. You stumle upon a wooden building, you get inside. It turns out to be a library. You see a sign "QUIET IN THE LIBRARY" and indeed, if you make a sound, a bunch of monsters get released from behind the bookshelves. You still have no weapons so you have to keep quiet. There is a bunch of alert monsters already hovewer, plus the arch-viles that are chasing you. You have to quickly solve a bunch of switch puzzles while avoiding the attacks to reach the weapons before the viles get to you. After that you deal with them and the other monsters in the library. Now you get outside of the library to explore the area. Seems like all that noise didn't go unnoticed: monsters from all over the village woke up and came here. After another bloodbath you beging to explore the other local buildings...

Guest Unregistered account

Make a generic UAC base. With polygon floor textures, brick ceiling and STARTAN walls.

But seriously, try something bold. If you're mapping for ZDoom or ZDoom ports, try making something completely head-spinning. Take a look at Void for an example.

"Build a tiny torn apart dark tech-base map. The player has to kill three Imps, find a big computer, destroy some lost UAC machine and kill a few Barons of Hell".

Memfis said:

You see a sign "QUIET IN THE LIBRARY" and indeed, if you make a sound, a bunch of monsters get released from behind the bookshelves.

I actually did this idea in one of my one day maps. Go figure.

Unless you're trying to properly challenge yourself, it's usually a better idea to think up your own ideas: a map with the fruits of your own imagination comprising it's core is far more satisfying to create and play.

EDIT: Spelling.

You could maybe create a giant Deimos-esque prison full of Nazis and Demons. A pretty simple idea.

you could always make a quick deathmatch arena/map with just a few obstacles so that it is frantic enough for many deaths to occur.

And also you want another very underrepresented genre in mapping themes? Oriental/Asian maps. I think Deus Vult II has one, but beyond that...

Or maybe a map that takes place in a castle under siege by demons from across a huge plain, and you have to solve puzzles and find the exit before a neigh-unstoppable monster reaches it.

vdgg said:

Try to build something similar to this having in mind engine limitations.

Speaking of engine limitations, what's keeping that thing airborne?

ASD said:

E1M1 upside down, mirrored and 2x scaled.

This actually seems like a nice idea.

You start on the rim of a giant toilet. You flush yourself down into it, looking for your fav dog named poopy who flushed himself by accident.

You start in front of a huge church, once you go in you are ambushed, then you activate the altar which leads too an underground maze of corridors, at the end of the level you open a trap door that leads too a tomb where you get killed by an ambush of demons. The next level you arise from the tomb saying "I live again!" where you fight your way through a cemetery.

hardcore_gamer said:

You start on the rim of a giant toilet. You flush yourself down into it, looking for your fav dog named poopy who flushed himself by accident.

hahahahahah i will make this when i get time

Heres an idea: if your stuck with your own ideas just start recreating something from some other game, you'll never know how it will turn out in doom engine, may turn out completely different and unique from the orginal map.