Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rebdamon

Playing doom at school

Im stuck here in school on this beautiful day with my friend. Theres a field trip going on and we didn't go. We were told we could use the laptops for the day so we decided to try to play some doom. When we tried to download zdaemon it didnt work (we're using lenovo chrome books) can anyone tell me where to download doom that works with these computers?

Rebdamon said:

Im stuck here in school on this beautiful day with my friend. Theres a field trip going on and we didn't go. We were told we could use the laptops for the day so we decided to try to play some doom. When we tried to download zdaemon it didnt work (we're using lenovo chrome books) can anyone tell me where to download doom that works with these computers?

Hmmm he just joined this month of this year. Ban him.

What do you mean by "zdaemon didn't work" exactly? Did it give you some error or what? Maybe we can solve this.

geo said:

Hmmm he just joined this month of this year. Ban him.

lmao i just forgot the password of my other account. I've been a member since 2011.

Memfis said:

What do you mean by "zdaemon didn't work" exactly? Did it give you some error or what? Maybe we can solve this.

It obviously didn't work because he doesn't have the IWADs. ;)

Der Gillster said:

I just bring a usb port with the skulltag exe some doom, doom2 wads and i just play already

This. Bring that stuff from home, because stuff like Steam or downloading at all usually don't work on School Servers, as they generally block downloads... Generally. Also, Chromebooks? Aren't those basically Google Chrome and nothing else whatsoever?

Der Gillster said:

I just bring a usb port with the skulltag exe some doom, doom2 wads and i just play already

I did that for most of my programming classes freshman year (switch SkullTag for ZDoom). Good times in the computer lab!

Not so good when the grades came out :x Had to stop that habit in class.

Is there a version of Doom that can run on a Chromebook?

I had Doom Legacy 1.32 on my laptop in grade 12. Used it to bet on who could beat E2M8 fastest because decks of cards were banned and the local cop was stupid.

We weren't allowed to play games on the school computers so I made sure the programming "projects" I did were some kind of little game in VB.

I don't think that'd be possible.

You've got no IWADS, and you're playing on ChromeOS. No dice.

Canofbacon said:

I thought this was going to be a thread making fun of Eric Harris.

haha nah i go by the name reb now :)

In the waning days of school this year I would bring in a flash drive with Zandronum and APDM.wad and deathmatch with my friends on the school computers. It was fun.

Rebdamon said:

lmao i just forgot the password of my other account. I've been a member since 2011.

lmao yet doesn't specify your other account OR use the forgot password feature. To post hell with you.

geo said:

lmao yet doesn't specify your other account OR use the forgot password feature. To post hell with you.

your unbelievable, stop being an asshole. What's wrong with new members?

What's wrong with new members asking how to play Doom at school using an avatar with a Hitler mustache? Somehow I'm the asshole? When you register, doesn't it specifically ask you in caps, 'AM I REGISTERING BECAUSE I JUST TRIED INSTALLING DOOM UNDER WINDOWS AND THE GAME WON'T RUN / THE MOUSE WON'T WORK / THE SOUND WON'T WORK?'

Yet here we are. I guess Chromebooks don't use Windows. My bad.

I wish I could help you, but cannot, as I don't own a Chromebook and thus can't even begin to develop on it, and I'm not particularly great at C/C++ coding, anyway. Whoever has the skills and resources to do it, perhaps there should be a quick and dirty port of PrBoom+ on Chromebook? Probably would be best to use that as a basis, being the most polished and well maintained general-purpose source port. Granted, ChromeOS is silly, but such a port could still be useful to those who have Chomebooks for whatever reason.

Aliotroph? said:

We weren't allowed to play games on the school computers so I made sure the programming "projects" I did were some kind of little game in VB.

That's always fun. I remember doing the same for my 3rd grade entry into the science fair with a rather primitive game in which you tried to catch as many falling objects within a minute time-limit as you could.

geo said:

What's wrong with new members asking how to play Doom at school using an avatar with a Hitler mustache?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the avatar appears to sport a wider but patchy mustache. Besides, there's only a limited pool to pick from until 250 posts. Even if it was a Hitler mustache, what does it matter? Many people on here ironically use avatars (the several USSR-themed avatars spring to mind), I'm sure it's not advocacy for whatever is in the image.

geo said:

When you register, doesn't it specifically ask you in caps, 'AM I REGISTERING BECAUSE I JUST TRIED INSTALLING DOOM UNDER WINDOWS AND THE GAME WON'T RUN / THE MOUSE WON'T WORK / THE SOUND WON'T WORK?'

Yet here we are. I guess Chromebooks don't use Windows. My bad.

Thus your entire point is moot and you wasted your time typing out that allcaps thing, because you yourself recognize that this is a completely unexplored caveat of discussion.

geo said:

lmao yet doesn't specify your other account OR use the forgot password feature.

Nobody in this thread asked him to specify his old account. It also wouldn't be an issue had you not been allergic to new people in the first place.

geo said:

Ban him.
To post hell with you.

I don't wanna inadvertently backseat moderate by pointing out potential backseat moderation, but I'm pretty sure only the staff can have any say in that.

Not to mention they're the ones who activated his account anyway, since they have to be manually approved these days. Though I couldn't get Freder to become interested enough in Doom to post here more than a few times (he loves his Apple IIe too much), I found out about this feature when I got him to register, so this has apparently been a thing since at least 2012.

geo said:

Somehow I'm the asshole?

Given how uncivil you're being about something that seemingly nobody else appears to care about, I suppose so? No, seriously, what is your deal with this guy?

Don't forget: Renown comedian Charlie Chaplin rocked that mustache long before Hitler ever set his dirty little mits on it.

Sheesh, since when did this thread become a "you're not welcome here since you're new" thread?

What does Chromebook run? Does it even have a file system? If not, can there be a Chrome extension that can play Doom.wad?

Guest Unregistered account

I just play Doom on my phone. It's an efficient port of shareware Chocolate Doom and I can play it anywhere.

Plus, people don't think twice about a 13 year-old playing on a phone. Mwahahaha!

(Search for it on the PlayStore -DOOM by Eltechs)

Joe667 said:

Plus, people don't think twice about a 13 year-old playing on a phone. Mwahahaha!

When I was still in school, the teachers were hawks about it and would confiscate it at the slightest suspicion, even at lunch! They also would get really suspicious if a kid was looking under their desk, there was little escape.

This was north-eastern United States, dunno how it is in other primary or secondary schools across the world.

Unrelated, but they also banned hoodies except for the official school ones with the name printed on it. They said it was for security reasons, but at least a unique hoodie would be a better identifier than the only one anyone could wear. I honestly think it was more to do with discrimination against black students via stereotyping. On its own you may say "but Soda, that's not much evidence to go on." True, but there were actually several things that gave me the impression that the staff in general were slightly racist. I would often hear the white teachers complain about "those ghetto students," would see them treat slightly mischievous black students far worse than white students acting in a worse manner. There was even a music teacher at my own high school that made national news complaining about "niggers" on Facebook.

Sodaholic said:

When I was still in school, the teachers were hawks about it and would confiscate it at the slightest suspicion, even at lunch!

Yeah I live in Connecticut and its like that. I think it's unfair we cant use our phones at lunch. it's not like we're supposed to be paying attention to them while we eat lol.

Sodaholic said:

I honestly think it was more to do with discrimination against black students via stereotyping.

Actually I found it quite the contrary in my experience. Hoodies seem to be a loner favorite rather than a black one.

Sodaholic said:

There was even a music teacher at my own high school that made national news complaining about "niggers" on Facebook.

Really!? Do you think you could provide me with an article or something?

My high school music teacher was gone for two weeks. He came back and made a speech to each class he had. He was tearing up, since I had him first hour explaining he had been gone due to recent allegations of sexually assaulting a female student. One of the guys in class said That's bullshit Mr Boody, we all know you're gay.