Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EricsonWillians

WAD editing on Linux.

I'm developing a map with Eureka (THE incredibly amazing level editor for UNIX that came from Yadex (That came from old DEU)). So far so good, I'm doing it in the Lubuntu Linux distribution, a Lightweight version of popular Ubuntu.

Now comes the problem: I'm not satisfied with just level editing. I want to add my own music/composition, and add some textures of my own.

I've found that, just like with Eureka, there's only ONE utility for dealing with such a task, and that utility is called DeuTex.

It seems to be a pretty amazing command-line based tool, and I've compiled it properly. Actually, I've compiled ALL the versions available of the source code. All to come to the dreadful discovery that NONE of them works, for all of them give me a horrible "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)." (I've also downloaded from a link from here, of an older version already compiled, 3.8, and it gives me the same error.)

Giving the Unix problem, I've installed Windows XP in VirtualBox and tried to work with SlumpED and Slade, but both gives me some annoying DLL problems (I really want to work in Unix and I'm being a bit lazy to solve things in Borrrwindows). I've also installed DosBOX and I'm really AVOIDING have to try to install some oldschool utility there.

So, I was wondering if anyone here managed to edit WADs on a Debian-Based Linux Distribution, specificially some ubuntu-derived one. If DeuTex is really dead nowadays, then, IS THERE any underground utility that allows me to do such modding-things? What do you suggest?.

Thank you very much!

It looks really promising! Thank you very much, I`ll install it :). (By the way, I did not install Zdoom with apt-get. Nevertheless, the commands with wget and so on were beautifully well already done.)Fantastic link, I did not know that there was such .deb package for Zdoom. It'll be useful in the future.

SLADE is a pretty good GUI replacement for DeuTex :)

BTW, if you feel like using DeuTex, try using my repository. It's not actively maintained, but it includes DeuTex 4.4.902 plus a mix of fixes from Debian and other issues.

Chungy, thank you! I'll have a look at it. By the way, I discovered that SLADE has a Map Editor built-in just now haha. I'm exploring it as well, since I'm having problems importing custom textures on Eureka.

For Debian you can install the "deutex" package.

To use custom textures with Eureka, use -merge option, or add them with the Manage Wads window. If it really seems Eureka is not loading the wad properly, post a link here (or PM me) and I will take a look at it.

Eureka has a Debian package, there was a time when yadex was packaged too.