Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doom Revealed

id and Bethesda have revealed a new reboot of Doom with a brand new short trailer showing off a monster that could only be the Cyberdemon. Head over to doom.com and watch the trailer for yourself. And be prepared for more coming this next QuakeCon.

They better put a goddamn flashlight on top of the gun and give us co-op. And four. Four. Four. FOUR.

Video game trailers are weird. Like when you have a movie trailer, you can make it entirely out of parts of the movie already recorded, so you know what to expect when you see it. In this, they come up with some fake dialogue, show nothing about how the game is played, what the plot is about, etc. Doom and the video gaming industry ain't what it used to be, so I'm dubious.

annoyed its not called doom 4 or doom: something or other.

That demon design looks solid. Looks like cyber, but I am going to doubt it.

Overall summary: Not gonna hold my breath until I see real gameplay, not a bloody bollocking teaser.

I'm convinced that's a completely different demon with the 'plasma' gun on it's arm.

Though, the door sound really tripped me.

So.. How long should we be looking at this until July 17th?

Preliatus said:

I'm convinced that's a completely different demon with the 'plasma' gun on it's arm.

Someone probably decided that even with the aid of "Hell magic" a rocket launcher with an unlimited supply of rockets made no sense, so they switched weapons. Looks interesting, hope that's not all they've produced since rebooting development.

Yeah, this really doesn't tell us anything about the game, so instead of baseless speculation I'll just talk about what's here.

Cool monster design, but is anyone else sick of that phlegmy, thrumming inhalation that everyone has decided is the Universal Monster Sound? I've never thought about it before but it annoyed me just now. There has got to be some sound we haven't heard before that would fit just right.

I'd say there's probably gonna be some more teasing before QuakeCon. But let's be honest, this teaser basically acts as a "hey, DOOM lives, we'll be showing it soon so be ready" and that's it.

"Doom! The famous 2014 game that revolutionized the industry! (also fun trivia fact, apparently there was a game with a similar title released back in the stone age of 1993. Yes, they apparently had video games back then)"

I seriously dislike this title recycling trend. It always seems just plain disrespectful, like the implication is "stop caring about those sucky old games, we're starting things anew and forgetting the past."

I also don't understand the need to specifically "reboot" the series along with its title - Doom 3 was a reboot too and yet they didn't name it just "DOOM" did they?

I don't really care, people will call it DOOM 4 anyway. I actually think I prefer the look of the logo being simply 'DOOM' as opposed to DOOM sth sth. The message is clear.

JudgeDeadd said:

I seriously dislike this title recycling trend. It always seems just plain disrespectful, like the implication is "stop caring about those sucky old games, we're starting things anew and forgetting the past."

This. Exactly this. I think the reason for why lots of people decide to re-use titles is because they have a big ego and think they are somehow replacing the original with a "new and an improved" version of their own. It's just arrogance. I hope this trend will go away.

The door sound was good. :P

The cutscene was nice, but I'm looking forward to seeing more about the actual gameplay in the future. Hopefully it will be decent.

hardcore_gamer said:

This. Exactly this. I think the reason for why lots of people decide to re-use titles is because they have a big ego and think they are somehow replacing the original with a "new and an improved" version of their own. It's just arrogance. I hope this trend will go away.

This "trend" has been around in Hollywood since the 1930's (e.g. Beau Geste, Holiday, and The Dawn Patrol), so I suspect you're going to have a long, long wait...

NiGHTMARE said:

This "trend" has been around in Hollywood since the 1930's (e.g. Beau Geste, Holiday, and The Dawn Patrol), so I suspect you're going to have a long, long wait...

Well I guess, but at least they could like a subtitle or something. "Doom: The nightmare returns" or some crap.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well I guess, but at least they could like a subtitle or something. "Doom: The nightmare returns" or some crap.

It's more marketable to declare an installment as THE iconic instance of the series, rather than just another sequel.

XCOPY said:

I don't know the whole Doom III story yet as I never really bothered to go deep into it, but did the plot there left enough holes to be filled in this "Doom 4"?

If negative, I can see why they would reboot the series.

Yes.

In the first level of Doom 3, the Darkstar is scheduled to be loaded with numerous "metaseal" crates containing classified "biological specimens," which could be interpreted as being demons brought back through the teleporters.

I've always believed that was meant to be a plot opening.

I just hope that they fix the modding tools for doom 4. I heard the modding tools for RAGE were 12 GB and a pain in the ass to understand.

Basic premise of the trailer is ok - close-ups of a mechanical Demon (or Alien if you hate the whole "Demons from Hell" premise and prefer to think of them as extra-dimensional Aliens), rounded up by a nice shotgun cocking noise and a metal bulkhead door opening with the classic Doom door sound to reveal the shadow of the creature (which looks to be the new Cyberdemon).

On closer inspection though, I see a lot I don't like. If you don't like negative attitudes, you may ignore the rest of my post.

The tech design is blatantly very heavily influenced by the Marine armour from Starcraft 2 (shown in the opening cinematic of Wings of Liberty), and generally comes across as "sci-fi tech I've seen a hundred times before" and thus not all that interesting.

The "electronic farting noise" music I've heard a lot before in recent years (I believe it first came from one of the trailers to the third Bayformers movie, which I don't associate with anything positive). I'm already getting tired of hearing it in trailers.

Finally, I don't dig the look of that Cyberdemon - looks like the Doom 3 Cyberdemon and the classic Mancubus had a baby. It needs to look more streamlined (I do like that one of its horns are broken) and less, how shall I put it? "Fat"?
The arm cannon too I don't like - needs to be a little blockier (rounded aspects are all right, just not to this extent), more streamlined and generally needs to look less like a Mancubus flamecannon (and I don't care if it fires explosive plasma fireballs).

Also, the design really doesn't seem all that different from Doom 3 in a number of ways (multiple eyes for one) - isn't it about time the design got updated a bit more? Well I guess this game might be a pseudo sequel to Doom 3 judging by the basic design.

Benefit of the doubt time:
Yes, it's just a teaser and not indicative of the final game (it still gives me some bad vibes though).
Yes the Cyberdemon is still in the shade and it might possibly, conceivably, hopefully, miraculously, unexpectedly turn out to actually look awesome when well lit, but my first impressions of that design and the creature's basic shape isn't convincing me (the horns might look cool when better lit though).

I don't directly mind that they call it just "Doom", but that's just because I've grown used to it by now and it was sort of expected (cry and wail all about it if you want, I doubt it's gonna change the Head Honchos' minds), but I've seen a lot of very valid reasons to be annoyed at it, and valid reasons I respect.

The tech design is blatantly very heavily influenced by the Marine armour from Starcraft 2 (shown in the opening cinematic of Wings of Liberty), and generally comes across as "sci-fi tech I've seen a hundred times before" and thus not all that interesting.

This. The trailer looks like it was made by Blizzard for SC2. It's just a teaser trailer though, it's not the game at all.

reality 2.0 said:

I just hope that they fix the modding tools for doom 4. I heard the modding tools for RAGE were 12 GB and a pain in the ass to understand.

If you know nothing about them, and haven't even bothered looking into them, why do you care?

If you ask me, the cyberdemon is supposed to look like a cross between a terminator and a bull.

This looks more like a scarecrow that fell into a vat in the greeble factory.